Alien: Covenant

Started by mirth, November 24, 2016, 09:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

JudgeDredd

The only change I would make is swapping 3 and 4
Alba gu' brath

JasonPratt

Not that anyone really needs a new review, but I was surprised that RedLetterMedia was willing to give the movie a thoughtful critique rather than just trashing it for kicks.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

We may not have to worry about any more Alien movies for a while if Covenant doesn't turn things around at the box office.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

It's got 72% at RT and made $36+ over the last weekend.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

$97 mil in production costs and it's made $117 mil worldwide so far. It released a week earlier in most markets before the US release. I don't know what the marketing budget was, but it's not shaping up to be a big moneymaker.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Gusington

If you go see it in a theater they'll be further in the black! DO IT

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Gusington

There are a lot of positive reviews.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I suggest a series of spin-off films called, "Soft-spoken, Passive-Aggressive, Betraying Killer Androids That Have a Crush on Aliens". Weyland-nators vs Predators! That make some mullah.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on May 23, 2017, 10:20:37 AM
There are a lot of positive reviews.

I know. I don't think it's a bad movie and I am positive it is better than Prometheus. I just don't see how it's going to make much of a profit. There's major competition coming over the next couple weeks - the latest PotC movie and Wonder Woman.

SirAndrewD

I liked the movie.  Thought the third act was a little odd, but I did like the intensity of the opening.   I have some nitpicks with it, but I didn't come out feeling as let down as I did after Prometheus.

There's a lot in this for the enthusiast of the Alien franchise in general.  Scott resurrected a lot of things he wanted to do in the original Alien, but couldn't, and he brought in some of the more interesting ideas from Gibson's and Ward's abandoned Alien 3 scripts.   I thought the Xeno was overall pretty intimidating and very well inspired by Alien Isolation. 

Money wise it looks like the film made right about what Fox had forecast for the weekend so hopefully Scott will be able to start shooting the final film in 14 months like he'd planned. 

Only really super negative was my viewing experience.  Four teen girls about three rows behind us were cutting up loudly and talking on cellphones.  After management failed to do anything about it since they shut up every time an employee ducked in, we had to walk out and bump over to a later showing.  Never had to do that before.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

I would have killed those girls. It's people like that which make me hate people. Amongst other reasons.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

True. Makes you want to follow them to Old Navy and play Polka music in their ears.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.