Divinity Original Sin II early impressions

Started by ghostryder, September 22, 2017, 02:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghostryder

I ended up getting this dispite the fact I could never get into the first game. The problem I had with the first was mainly the world- which was just too corny for me. It felt like a running joke. No matter how I tried I just couldn't get into it.

But looking at my buying options---the xcom2 expansion was priced damn near what DOSII was going for new out the gate---and that expansion didn't look like it added up to being worth the price. So I went with DOSII.

I've been starting and restarting now for a couple days-- playing with different combo of characters. Your choices are wide and over reaching. An undead character plays differently than a human and the elf plays nothing like any elf in any other game. I've been sticking with 'orogin' characters as most reviews suggest for the best experience.

My last try has went the furtherest- with Ifan I think his name is- an undercover scroundrel that want to assasinate the current dude in charge of the island you start out being imprisioned on. I haven't figured out how to remove the source collars or get off the island and with about 30 hours in I'm just getting my bead on the island and where things are etc. I've run into a couple unbeatable battles after discovering hidden caves and dungeons...a nasty group of 4 giants frogs being my last road block. but my goal thus far isn't really yet getting off the island or whatnot but still deciding what character to play and with what 3 companions. I may yet restart again before I'm off the island.

The characters are really diverse so aside from running a while with them it's been a hard decision. Ifan plays more like a human in other games. I made him a ranger--his skills are easiest to understand. However Fane may be my choice--undead he plays much different. Heal potions hurt him and poison potions heal him. Necro skills heal too. He uses a mask to fit in so nobody will know your the walking dead. I've yet learned how to play him well. Sebille the elf is also different. She eats flesh for memories...then there's the red prince.

the diversity is great- and any party consisting of these 4 reminds me of playing a modern Baldur's Gate III moreso than a follow up to Divinity Original Sin...which never offered up this mix of well voiced characters before. Other than the familiar combat the game doesn't seem anything like the first---the world is more active and real- and though characters are still played to the limits it isn't coming across as corny as it did in the first game. This world is far more attractive and something I can accept.

There's little in hand holding as well. What and where take some thinking about--and even basics need learned. Some hints for example: having an undead in the party can unlock chests--as they are a living skeleton key, no shovel? the lizard can dig without one. I purposely aim avoiding online quides and hints...I've had far too much fun finding these things out.

Being so open ended and obtuse certain skills are neccessary. You want to find hidden entries, ladders buried treasure...etc and you want to be able to respond to any situation---your on fire and you need to counter it-etc....it all leads to carful selections when creating and choosing on level ups and each choice makes a difference.

Well acted. Alive world. Interesting and plays like a Baldur's Gate III--complex hard and fun...thus far...looks damn good.

Nefaro

Sounds good.

Definitely been on my wishlist.  Glad to hear it's turned out well.

Rayfer

Like GR, I too had trouble getting into the original but maybe for different reasons. It had a lot of positives going for it but that initial quest to solve the murder was annoying and required a lot of travel back and forth across the city to speak to a variety of people, only to have to do it again when new info was learned.  I don't remember what, but something new came along that distracted me and I never went back.

Gusington

I've been curious about this sequel too, but I also have not played the original.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ghostryder

It's been so long I too am not quite posative why i dropped the first...I guess it auto updated to the enhanced. Acording to steam i played 2 hrs. not very long to give the title a chance.

But DOSII really grabbed me immediately.

ghostryder

Restarted yet again. I've made it to the hollow marshes. I went with the Red Prince, Sebille, Lohse and I'm playing Ivan. The red prince is just a gas. So much character and so well acted. Sebille is far above the character of Jaheria in BGII- and Lohse, an enchanter is pretty much 'possessed' and has gotten me in a couple tight spots. The character's side quests are interesting and I've made some progress in each-

I'm about level 4 now. You certainly want to focus on you class skills to get up to speed- eventually your find or craft some decent armour- and I've gotten some good pieces via quests as well. I've had a couple crashes but the game auto saves regularily and loads pretty quicky so no big deal there--and the crashes came after hours of play.

The game is just put together so well. There's several solutions to just about everything. In one cave there's a hidden trap door to a secret level where you get a quest from some cursed knight that is stuck forever in limbo- basically he wants you to destroy his soul jar that is stored in the castle to free him. One way to spot the hidden trap door is with  high wits points- or a second way is to play hide and seek with a kid- who'll during the game will show you the trap door. Your then need a shovel or have the lizard Red Prince dig it up-- that is just one example of the various ways things pan out.

It's one of those RPGs where while your playing your telling yourself..."one my next play through i'm going to go with..." The replay value here is certainly high.

So still I'm having fun and I have to say thus far this looks like one of the best RPGs to come along in a very long while.

bob48

I started again a few days ago, but don't seem to be doing as well as I did the first time I played it. May need to restart with a new selection of characters.

Oops, my bad. I was referring to I not II  :idiot2:
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

ghostryder

Difinitely see a difference in Magic armor vs regular armor and magic vs melee. Your melee seem to always do better- so I kept Ifan a wayfarer where he's much like a ranger with bow/crossbow and The red Prince as a warrior. The enchanter generally also uses a range staff and she spends her spells nullifing fire--which seems covers the battle field every combat after a couple turns. And then the rogue - who can move farther runs and backstabs. This combination works well. I imagine a group of rangers would do very well. It's kinda why I didn't take Fane the undead with his necro spells- although he can heal standing in blood and with necro spells his damage is pretty low compared to any melee I'd have in the party and fighting the Boss guys damage is far more important than healing. And the enchanter has spells for that.

So in the game armor is a balance of physical/magic and by far the physical is more important and damage output also leans toward physical as opposed to magical -- which gets regularly resisted.

The nice thing is you can take any 'Origin' character for the story/quests/banter/romance but can customize them to any class you want with any stats and ability picks you want.

For example there's an ability called 'One man army'--which gives you stat and armor and damage bonus's if your only grouped with one other character--so using this on yourself and one companion you can play the game with just a 2 member party. That can be a very cool challenge for a play through and giggling all the armor/abililities would be far easier as far as party management.

Also your get mitts of Manipulation through an early quest--these are teleporting gloves. they not only teleport you but you can use them to teleport enemies into your killzones and traps.Very useful. If you miss the gloves you can learn the teleport skill as well. This really is great for boss fights.

Overall the game gives heaps of tactical and strategic choices along with the multiple quest solutions to the point I've never seen in any other RPG. Which makes it perfect for ignoring online quides---you can get through it completely on your own---and if you do miss something you can generally still get whatever later somewhere else.

Moreb

The game has outstanding reviews from players on Steam. I think this will be my next purchase.
When dongles fly? - mirth

joram

Thanks for the impressions.  Played it a bit while still in beta and enjoyed it but hadn't devoted any time recently.   Sound like something I can spend some time in over the holidays.

Martok

Yeah, looks like I'll definitely be grabbing this one.  It's already won a couple "Game of the Year" and/or "Best RPG of 2017" awards, and is going to win alot more. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces