Main Menu

I remember FRIDAY

Started by Martok, January 05, 2018, 01:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Kinda gamed out this week.  Played Imperial Assault on Monday and will play again tonight.  Did Imperial on Tuesday.  Tanks and Duel in the Dark on Wednesday.  Star Wars: Armada on Thursday.

Might do some painting and play a little IL-2: Battle of X over the weekend.

Tuna

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 05, 2018, 06:40:50 PM
Kinda gamed out this week.  Played Imperial Assault on Monday and will play again tonight.  Did Imperial on Tuesday.  Tanks and Duel in the Dark on Wednesday.  Star Wars: Armada on Thursday.

[/quote

hmmm

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Tuna on January 05, 2018, 07:01:42 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 05, 2018, 06:40:50 PM

[/quote

hmmm

hmmmmmmmm

Cyrano

Hollandspiele "Battles on the Ice".  Tom Holland has begun to tip over gaming's table of assumptions.  It's beautiful...said like Tom Cruise at the end of "Taps".

WS&IM with my son...I posted a picture of two chits on a blue field and got near 170 likes on Facebook.  This game runs deep among our kind.  Notable.

JTS Jena (x2), although I must needs rouse Doug from his slumbers...

Jena KS

A lot of playtesting.  Three projects now, I think me.

And one is gamed out when one is dead.  Selah.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Martok

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 05, 2018, 10:01:09 AM

I'm still itching to play a good space 4x. Been tooling around with Stellaris, but I think I may want to move onto something else. Believe it or not, MOO3 is calling to me.
Jarhead, I think MOO3 is to you what BOTF is to me -- that one space 4x title you keep returning to, despite its age and whatever flaws it has.  :) 

I would ask what kind of space 4x experience you're looking for, but I have to believe you already own dang near all of the games in that genre anyway.  :P 

Quote from: Gusington on January 05, 2018, 10:05:59 AM
I'm also looking for a nice new space 4x...I was looking at Stellaris but it looks like there's a ton of DLC for it that I should probably wait for a sale on.
Quote from: Gusington on January 05, 2018, 01:17:05 PM
I thought I wanted Stellaris too, until I saw the loads of DLC for it.
Well first of all, there are only three DLC that actually add content -- Leviathans, Utopia, and Synthetic Dawn. 

And of those three, Utopia is the only true "expansion", along with being the only DLC that warrants being rated as a "must-have" in terms of what it adds to the game. 

Leviathans and Synthetic Dawn are both just "story packs", and while they're worth getting *at some point*, you definitely don't need them to enjoy Stellaris. 

Incidentally, Barthheart's and Jarhead's recommendation for Polaris Sector is a good one, but I do feel compelled to add this bit:  While the ship design and combat is indeed fantastic -- still probably the best I've seen in a 4x title -- the game can be a bit lacking in other areas.  One criticism in particular is the dearth of a decent exploration phase at the beginning; going out into "the final frontier" and discovering new worlds can feel somewhat shallow and/or bland.  That's obviously not a problem for a lot of players, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention it. 

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 05, 2018, 10:08:10 AM
I'd love a good 4x space game that isn't super complicated and requiring hours of learning curve time.
You want Master of Orion: Conquer the Stars (the one released two years ago). 

I know it's received something of a mixed reception among players (I'm pretty sure most of the bad reviews were from MOO/MOO2 diehards), but I've honestly enjoyed the time I've spent playing it.  It's a fun & polished space 4x game with high production values, and it's easy to just jump into and play. 

Quote from: CJReich46 on January 05, 2018, 11:09:37 AM
By the way Martok, very nice tune.
Quote from: Rayfer on January 05, 2018, 11:33:24 AM
Great song choice martok....well done!  :notworthy: 

Thanks guys!  I've always enjoyed the crooners like Nat, Bing, Frank, etc.  :) 

Quote from: Rayfer on January 05, 2018, 11:33:24 AMPicked up the newer Master of Orion for $10.50 in the Gamersgate holiday sale....looking forward to getting into it this weekend.
Ha!  Once you've had a chance to play it, you should post your impressions for BanzaiCat.  8) 

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 05, 2018, 12:53:25 PM
I expect to be restarting my Armenian campaign in Rome 2 TW Empire Divided soon, now that I've got a general handle on how things work.
Please post your impressions!  I'll almost certainly be grabbing this one sooner rather than later, but it'd still be nice to have some idea of what to expect. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

Out of curiosity, Martok, what is it about the exploration aspect of Polaris Sector that you find lacking or bland? I don't find it much different than any other 4x. There are mineral rich worlds, Gaia type planets, anomalies revealing advanced technologies and even precursor components that move a loose story along. Yes, the sheer number of anomalies to discover is nothing compared to Stellaris and in PS each world or star does not have to be scanned or surveyed individually. In general, due to the need to survey and research everything in Stellaris, this is actually a part of the game that gets very tiresome for me. I like the nice change to Polaris where exploration is much quicker and does not hold the other aspects of the game back.

You're definitely right though, each game excels in a different area, so in my opinion any self respecting 4x gamer must have them all!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Armenia is probably my favorite faction in Rome 2 TW.

And thanks for the Master of Orion - Conquer the Stars recommendation, will check it out.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Excellent song choice!

Jarhead and Martok, you inspire me to play BotF and MOO3 again. While i still play BotF from time to time, i haven't touched MOO3 in years...

Overall, i am mostly playing Civilization IV (Warlords and Beyond the sword) and Battlevoid Harbinger. I have to say that i am understanding now why people say that Civilization IV is the best Civilization so far. Battlevoid Harbinger is proving to be an excellent game and i am having a lot of fun with it.

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on January 05, 2018, 01:17:05 PM
I thought I wanted Stellaris too, until I saw the loads of DLC for it.

It's not the quantity that worries me.  It's the cost.   :o  :timeout:

MetalDog

Quote from: Anguille on January 06, 2018, 04:59:10 PM
I have to say that i am understanding now why people say that Civilization IV is the best Civilization so far.

And they'd be right  O0
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

After hours of getting my ass kicked over the course of 6 days by one particular melee in Hellblade, I FINALLY beat it...and now am totally flummoxed by the next puzzle :/

I chalk some of the flummoxing up to exhaustion. But I am very happy to have finally beat those 6-7 bosses in Hellblade. It's a fantastic game but man is it hard.

Going to play some Vikings: Wolves of Midgard to cool down and then maybe start some Expeditions: Viking tomorrow.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Excellent song choice!

Jarhead and Martok, you inspire me to play BotF and MOO3 again. While i still play BotF from time to time, i haven't touched MOO3 in years...

Just remember to apply the right mods and patches!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tuna

Did a lil Il2 BoS with SDR. After we got past our runways spins for takeoff jitters, we got a couple of successful missions in. Now that I got my new Joystick setup for Xmas, I'll be giving this one more time.

My first dive on target, of course the 'button' that I thought I had programmed to drop bombs, was NOT programmed to drop bombs!... Murphy's law I guess. The next attack after revisiting my key mapping it worked just fine though.  :crazy2:  O0

airboy

I bought Order of Battle WW2: Panzerkreig.

Bad point, they update the engine every time they have a new release.  Thus, my core units are not there if this is a linked campaign.

Good point, they keep updating the AI.  I'm having to rerun the first part of the war as the Germans and the AI is already playing better than it did last time I played through.  Still, I've got to run through the entire thing so my core units and strategic choices will transfer over to the new one.

Martok

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 06, 2018, 08:47:09 AM
Out of curiosity, Martok, what is it about the exploration aspect of Polaris Sector that you find lacking or bland?
Well first off, it's not just me.  Polaris Sector's "eXplore" phase (or lack thereof) has long been considered by many to be one of its main drawbacks.  (I dislike using the term "criticism", since from the beginning, the dev has made it clear the game wasn't about the "wondrous exploration of space".  At its heart, Polaris Sector is a wargame.) 

I don't find it much different than any other 4x. There are mineral rich worlds, Gaia type planets, anomalies revealing advanced technologies and even precursor components that move a loose story along. Yes, the sheer number of anomalies to discover is nothing compared to Stellaris and in PS each world or star does not have to be scanned or surveyed individually.
Polaris Sector doesn't just have fewer types of things to discover than in Stellaris, it has fewer types of things to discover than in most other 4x games, period:  No space creatures.  No minor races/civilizations.  No wandering ships or random encounters.  Not much in the way of interesting features on planets that make them unique and/or encourage colony development in a certain direction.  Heck, even the planet types themselves aren't as varied or interesting as in most space-strategy titles. 

In general, due to the need to survey and research everything in Stellaris, this is actually a part of the game that gets very tiresome for me. I like the nice change to Polaris where exploration is much quicker and does not hold the other aspects of the game back.
In this, we agree completely.  One of the changes to Stellaris 2.0 that appeals to me is that you start out with your home system already surveyed, and that star systems in general won't take quite so long to explore. 

Quote from: MetalDog on January 06, 2018, 05:27:43 PM
I have to say that i am understanding now why people say that Civilization IV is the best Civilization so far.

And they'd be right  O0
You know, I actually owned Civ IV at one point, but I never got that into it for some reason.  (And of course, now I don't know what I did with my copy of it. >:( ) 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces