Fallout 1 celebrates 20th anniversary...deal dead

Started by steve58, September 29, 2017, 11:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

What's stopped you from playing the original 1997 version of Fallout in recent years? Can't find your old install CD? Too busy playing other games? Afraid to once again run into a deathclaw?

Bethesda wants to fix that with a 20th anniversary gift: a free copy of the very first Fallout game. The giveaway is a Steam exclusive, so you can't head to shops like GOG or Humble to claim a copy, but it's otherwise as simple as logging in and choosing "install game" from its Steam store listing. As of right now, you have a little over 24 hours to claim the freebie, which expires at midnight Pacific time on Saturday, September 30. (That was the game's exact release date in 1997, if you're keeping score.)

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/09/fallout-1-celebrates-20th-anniversary-is-now-totally-free-to-own-on-steam/
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Ian C

If your game doesn't launch:

1. Navigate to the game files as described: Right-click Fallout in your Steam library and click Properties. Go to the Local Files tab and choose 'Browse Local Files...'
2. Create a shortcut for falloutwHR.exe file
3. Right-click on the shortcut, select Properties
4. Select the Compatibility tab, then check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" checkbox and select "Windows XP Service Pack 2". Click OK.
5. Launch the game from the created shortcut.

Note that after the first run game will run without error from Steam directly.

Hot lead and dirty talk!

Jesus saves! But Gretzky scores on the rebound!

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Rayfer

Thanks IanC....downloaded it this morning but it wouldn't work....now it does.   :notworthy:

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

This has the single best plot twist at the end.  The only plot twist in an RPG game that had me screaming: "no, you bastards" at the monitor.

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Ian C

Quote from: Rayfer on September 30, 2017, 08:53:29 AM
Thanks IanC....downloaded it this morning but it wouldn't work....now it does.   :notworthy:

Gad to be of help. The fix was copied from STEAM forum btw, not my work.  O0

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: airboy on September 30, 2017, 01:44:41 PM
This has the single best plot twist at the end.  The only plot twist in an RPG game that had me screaming: "no, you bastards" at the monitor.

I actually really enjoyed the ending of Diablo, in that vein.