Golden Gaming Memories...

Started by Jarhead0331, July 13, 2019, 09:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

I still get nostalgic for this..

Oops, saw Starflight was already posted.   

Still, double nostalgic!

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

FlickJax

Quote from: Gusington on July 18, 2019, 12:16:20 PM
I was around 13 in the peak game shop era (1987). I had 3 more years until girls even noticed me.

I was 12 in 1980 when I got my first VIC 20 for xmas, believe it or not i wanted a Texas instruments computer, thank god mum and dad made the better choice :)  and buying games was quite hard as was mainly in shops like Tandy then or catalogues....

By 1982 and the Spectrum and 64 appeared we had about 7 shops in Southampton...... now there is 1 :(

One of my joys was running from shop to shop literally and seeing if any new releases :)

Gusington

My first computer ever was a Ti994/a...with no tape or disc drive! I entered simple BASIC programs in to it to play the simplest of simple 'games' before crying myself to sleep. Thankfully a got a C64 (with a 1541 drive) a few years later, and then around 1990 once I started working I was able to buy myself an Amiga 500...I had arrived! 😎

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FlickJax

Quote from: Gusington on July 19, 2019, 09:15:08 AM
My first computer ever was a Ti994/a...with no tape or disc drive! I entered simple BASIC programs in to it to play the simplest of simple 'games' before crying myself to sleep. Thankfully a got a C64 (with a 1541 drive) a few years later, and then around 1990 once I started working I was able to buy myself an Amiga 500...I had arrived! 😎

Vic 20,  Spectrum 48 (2 of), Spectrum 128K (waste of money), Atari ST FM and shortly there after the Amiga 500

Gusington

I think you're my older brother.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

You were missing out not having the tape drive, Gus.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

I KNOW - my grandfather said that not having things built character  >:(

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I used to HATE those Blink Dogs. They'd, 'blink' in and out again leaving their pooh right where you would step in it.  :tickedoff:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

steve58

Quote from: Gusington on July 19, 2019, 11:41:21 AM
I don't know about building character, but I was typing in lots of characters until I got a drive for my C64.  Remember those machine code pages for games in Computer Gaming World?  Lots of typing...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

rocketman

Quote from: Toonces on July 19, 2019, 11:25:23 AM
You were missing out not having the tape drive, Gus.

I loved that game. Used to bug a class mate of mine to come over to his place and play it for hours. He was the only one who had a Texas Instrument so no other way to play it. Looked it up on Youtube just a couple of weeks ago for the memories.

Gusington

I got my game codes from Run! magazine.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

IICptMillerII

Here's a game that I only ever briefly played back in the day, but has become a retro nostalgia classic for me recently. Star Wars Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2.

The live action cutscenes are great. Low production value, cheesy acting and dialogue... It has it all! Plus, there is just something about 90's games that have such a great aesthetic to them.

The older Star Wars games are the best. I played much more Star Wars Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast way back when, which is one of my favorite games

I have Dark Forces 2 on Steam and it runs pretty well. I think it also is sold on GoG, which is likely a more stable build of the game on modern computers.

steve58

Quote from: steve58 on July 19, 2019, 12:28:05 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 19, 2019, 11:41:21 AM
I don't know about building character, but I was typing in lots of characters until I got a drive for my C64.  Remember those machine code pages for games in Computer Gaming World?  Lots of typing...

I stand corrected (by myself). Mag I was thinking of was actually COMPUTE's GAZETTE.  Here is one of those code pages:

...and a walk down Memory Lane: https://www.commodore.ca/commodore-gallery/compute-gazette-magazines-issue-1-through-43/
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Staggerwing

Quote from: steve58 on July 19, 2019, 12:28:05 PMRemember those machine code pages for games in Computer Gaming World?  Lots of typing...

And lots of mistyping debugging...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DoctorQuest

Can you imagine typing in CMANO?
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.