Field of Glory Empires MP Game New Thread.

Started by devoncop, June 04, 2019, 01:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devoncop

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 16, 2019, 12:21:48 PM
King Scorpas, arise!
Lighten all our loads!
Men, to final arms!
Newly made and then...

My new king Scorpas doesn't have much going for him other than being a good administrator, but he should thus avoid the 50% risk of progress setback from moderate reforms, which in turn should help reduce the decadence I picked up from capturing the slave revolt territory (and being in a long war with the Qats which the computer insists I'm losing somehow.)

With plenty of manpower, all I lack now is one more regular infantry (I've got two heavies and one regular already) and I should have a good mix of 4 main foot to 8 skirms (mostly foot; I'd prefer some cav, too, but I'll take what's available.) I prefer to have one central fighter with two skirm wings, so to speak.

Even with only 11 units this turn, my combat power is significantly larger than the Qats' 12 units, though I've got to keep in mind his garrison, too.

My rough expectation is that I'll have finished off the epic intergenerational war there in about 5 more turns. After which I can land around on the other side of Ethiopia (or maybe invade it?) and start helping my ally with his Nubian problems.  O0 (Though also consolidating Southern Arabia would be nice.)

If you can raise Mercenaries I can subsidise you as my recommendation is that in a desert region you really need a full complement (12) of regular infantry as a minimum if you don't have heavy infantry ,matched by at least 5 skimishers/light cav/camels.

I have sent my fleet to scout about down near your ports to make sure the blockading issue doesn't reoccur. It looks to me like they don't have a harbour now though so they won't be able to build any new ones.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

JasonPratt

Over to our east,
Pull our foes up north?
Qataba, come here!
Really, evil grin...

I'm unsure that I can catch up with the Qats substantially any time soon, so with my task force ready to go and my brand new wall upgrades ready to repel boarders (or borders in this case), I've decided to march Sulta's army east to the mere oasis territory north of Qatabia. We should be able to easily handle the thugs and bandits infesting the oasis, and I look forward to upgrading it into another pearl of the desert!

Worst case scenario, they ignore my bait, and I march back home next year with more experience (maybe one or two fewer units but I've already ordered up some replacements) leaving behind a skirmisher to keep the peace and giving the Qats another tempting target to try invading (thus opening their home territory to a thrust at their garrison I'm sure to win.)

Best case scenario, they invade my capital and I then march down to overrun their capital behind their backs.

(Note to self: actual worst-case scenario is that my army starves to death due to logistic problems with this plan...)

{wave} at the Southern Ptolemic Red Sea Flotilla sailing by our harbors, now open for trading business thanks to your anti-pirate measures!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

devoncop

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 18, 2019, 03:01:34 PM
Over to our east,
Pull our foes up north?
Qataba, come here!
Really, evil grin...

I'm unsure that I can catch up with the Qats substantially any time soon, so with my task force ready to go and my brand new wall upgrades ready to repel boarders (or borders in this case), I've decided to march Sulta's army east to the mere oasis territory north of Qatabia. We should be able to easily handle the thugs and bandits infesting the oasis, and I look forward to upgrading it into another pearl of the desert!

Worst case scenario, they ignore my bait, and I march back home next year with more experience (maybe one or two fewer units but I've already ordered up some replacements) leaving behind a skirmisher to keep the peace and giving the Qats another tempting target to try invading (thus opening their home territory to a thrust at their garrison I'm sure to win.)

Best case scenario, they invade my capital and I then march down to overrun their capital behind their backs.

(Note to self: actual worst-case scenario is that my army starves to death due to logistic problems with this plan...)

{wave} at the Southern Ptolemic Red Sea Flotilla sailing by our harbors, now open for trading business thanks to your anti-pirate measures!

It was an uneventful cruise.......the pirates having gone off to enjoy their rum and serving wenches.

Good luck with your plan......the Nubians have just raised a load of mercenaries so you may have a good view of the fighting from across the Gulf if as I expect they decide they want another chunk of Egyptian territory and declare war.............this time however they may find there is a reception party.

JasonPratt

I was about to say that your flotilla could easily blockade the Qats if you camp out there; but then I realized they don't have a harbor so they aren't getting trade by that route anyway.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

devoncop

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 18, 2019, 03:30:30 PM
I was about to say that your flotilla could easily blockade the Qats if you camp out there; but then I realized they don't have a harbor so they aren't getting trade by that route anyway.

Exactly.

I was considering it but your port conquests have screwed them on that front.

devoncop

New patch details being detailed this afternoon as 1.04 is imminent.

Includes increased effectiveness of Cavalry which now flanks all infantry armies and a "Retaliation attack" for armies with leaders that allow an army to chase raiding parties back across the border and fight them without taking the region  :bd:

JasonPratt

Saba now expands,
To the east we go!
Unlike Qats we care,
Volunteering free.

I'm unsure why the "oasis" doesn't exist anymore in our first expansion in two generations...  ???

But anyway. Once we get a new troop in to replace our exhausted one (or anyway so we can leave behind a peacekeeping force), I plan to go south to the coast again and so hem Qatabia around in all directions. If that doesn't goad them away from their capital, I don't know what will!

Relatedly, I suspect part of our decadence comes not only from our ongoing war score with the Qats (now regarded as stalemate) but with Nubia (thanks to them warring with the Ptolemies, our friends up north) -- I didn't remember we were even at war with them.

So when the time comes for us to expand over into Africa, that will be one less small problem.  >:D

We're still in the top 1/3 of CDR, with only one other player ahead of us. (I think it's Judea??) And we're finally catching up with our Legacy score ready to pass a player again (definitely Judea ;) ).

devoncop

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 20, 2019, 12:26:55 PM
Saba now expands,
To the east we go!
Unlike Qats we care,
Volunteering free.

I'm unsure why the "oasis" doesn't exist anymore in our first expansion in two generations...  ???

But anyway. Once we get a new troop in to replace our exhausted one (or anyway so we can leave behind a peacekeeping force), I plan to go south to the coast again and so hem Qatabia around in all directions. If that doesn't goad them away from their capital, I don't know what will!

Relatedly, I suspect part of our decadence comes not only from our ongoing war score with the Qats (now regarded as stalemate) but with Nubia (thanks to them warring with the Ptolemies, our friends up north) -- I didn't remember we were even at war with them.

So when the time comes for us to expand over into Africa, that will be one less small problem.  >:D

We're still in the top 1/3 of CDR, with only one other player ahead of us. (I think it's Judea??) And we're finally catching up with our Legacy score ready to pass a player again (definitely Judea ;) ).

Remember ever region you capture adds 1 to decadence (though it is halved it you manage to form a Province with those regions). If it is an objective region this is obviously better.

Speaking of which....If you went for the independent Panchaa region rather than the coastal region East of the Qats you would be able to form Arabia Felix Province as you then have over half the regions of the Province which will halve the decadence from the regions....also the trade goods there and food are more plentiful.....remember when a Province is formed good is calculated centrally so it helps growth in poorer regions.

My status with Nubia should not affect your decadence but in any case Egypt is (just) still at peace with Nubia.

Nice job down there by the way......looks like you have got some momentum now !

al_infierno

Has anyone mentioned to Gus that he appears to be back in the contest?  Bactria has re-emerged as an independent nation holding Hindu Kusch.  Why they chose that specific region, I can only speculate.   :-"
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

Orly?! I didn't realize I only needed half the provincial regions (territories?) to form a province!

Well, I still would have gone east for two reasons: (1) I don't want to be dealing with raids from your ally Arabia while trying to put the Qats out; and (2) I want to surround the Qats and, if possible, tempt them to break out, so I can whack their forces piecemeal.

It's my war with Nubia (no idea how that happened, if it wasn't from them declaring war on you or vice versa) which would be affecting my decadence, not your relation with Nubia per se.

JasonPratt

Walking round the Qats,
Excellently ringed.
Yet they do not bite!
Zomething something here...  ::)

(Note to self, I need to save the Z entries for when I'm at work and can lay hands on a nice dictionary...)

Presumably, next turn will see the completion of my regional encirclement around the Qats (assuming I win the fight which I should.)

I have no idea how they're doing it, but the Qats continue to run par with me on force strength, at least by the AI's reckoning: my task force has a little over 80 power, but so do Qatabia if the garrison is counted -- which it will be, because they have no walls. (This is why I keep trying to tempt their mobile force out to try taking one of my lightly defended surrounding areas.)

Congratulations to the Caledonians for pict-ing up 2nd place in the CDR rankings! (Judea remains in first place.)

While I just passed Judea in legacy (yay, I'm no longer final place in legacy after my emergency troop surge), I'm cheering on your attempts to retake Jerusalem's region. Wish I could help!

Bactria's re-emergency is kind of hilarious. Has anyone informed Gus??

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 22, 2019, 12:16:02 PM

Bactria's re-emergency is kind of hilarious. Has anyone informed Gus??

I don't know that Gus knows about this yet.  While such an epic tale is not worthy of a poem, perhaps informing him via a llimerick  would be appropriate?  >:D
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

devoncop

I don't need anyone cheering on Judea thanks given the grief they have caused me since turn 1  :)

All detailed in the Slitherine Forum but Jeez it has been hard work  :hide:

JasonPratt

Just the principle of the thing. We honor Solomon's Temple, too, even though this one isn't Solomon's exactly.

We would of course honor it even more if we somehow got ahold of it ourselves...  :-"

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd