Epic Games -- download speed

Started by steve58, January 05, 2020, 05:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

As posted in another thread, I treated myself to a new PC after many many years.  My new PC came with a freebie (Borderlands 3 or The Outer Worlds).  I ended up selecting TOWs.  Anyway, this is my 1st download with Epic Games and it is slow as #@$%.  For those of you more familiar with EG, are their downloads always so d@mn slow?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

I don't think I've experienced that, but I'll watch more carefully next time I download something.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

I've found their downloads to be considerably slower than Steam, yes.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mbar

All that Tencent money and they won't splurge for bandwidth?

Tpek

I haven't compared their speeds with Steam (which would be quite unfair as Steam has download servers all across the globe), but they were fine when I downloaded large games through them (Fornite back in the day, The Outer Worlds and Phoenix Point).

jamus34

One (relatively dumb) question - did you check app settings to see if maybe it's throttled at all?

I know when I'm playing an online game I purposely throttle my steam DL speed because updates have a tendency to pop when they want.
Insert witty comment here.

steve58

^Thanks for the suggestion, but after digging into the Epic launcher, I can't see/find any options that would slow it down or speed it up (except for a Proxy option that I suspect would just slow things down even more).  Doing a little searching on the internet, I see others complaining about the speed, so it is what it is, at least for now.

p.s.  and yes Downloads during gameplay are off.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)