Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Quote from: Nefaro on December 31, 2016, 12:29:30 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on December 30, 2016, 09:28:58 AM
From the newsletter :

Our next big World War II event will be the Early Access release of the DCS: Normandy 1944 map in the 1st quarter of 2017. The postponement of this release was the result of two primary factors:

DCS: Normandy 1944 will be the first DCS World map to use our new lighting system. As a result, we have had to remake all landscape textures and objects. This has been a massive task, but we believe it will be worth the time and effort.
    As our first map for DCS: World War II, a great deal of time and effort has gone into creating many new period objects like tanks, trucks, air defense units, trains, ships, and AI bombers. We are also creating many objects that make up the "Atlantic Wall" along the Normandy coast. We believe these objects are essential for making great missions.

All I've been seeing, late this year, is the developer working on this accursed WW2 map.  And WW2 planes..? 

Get v2.0 engine done, for the love of all that flies!!!    :tickedoff:   The flights of development fancy make it so frustrating.  Especially when it takes them well over a month to fix bugs introduced in one of their updates.   Let's hope they don't get further sidetracked, after this map is semi-finished, into half-adding yet another time period into the mix.

I love flying the 1970s+ combat aircraft in DCS multi-player.  But sweet baby tauntaun on a stick!  The development prioritization is insane!

This is due to the debacle that this WW2 project turned into. A third party had kickstarted the project, but tthe group fell apart, but because it was under license of ED they had to do something for the backers and decided to take the project in house.
Naturally this over saturated the devs of which we still see effects today.
A big reorginisation followed and there seems to be a little more focus now. Still, their timeframe planning sucks and dates get pushed backward.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Rekim

As Yskonyn pointed out, this WW2 diversion was the result of a 3rd party doing their own thing...then dropping the ball.

Now that the Normandy map is getting closer perhaps it's time to dust off the (3) keys I received from the original KS project and start learning the ropes.

Jarhead0331

For some reason I have absolutely no interest in simming WWII in DCS. I see this diversion as a total waste.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 31, 2016, 07:43:20 AM
For some reason I have absolutely no interest in simming WWII in DCS. I see this diversion as a total waste.

I second that.  They should have just refunded the ks backers and moved on and concentrated on the modern setting.  We would have the f18 by now if they would have scrubbed WWII.  Really don't need DCS wwII with everything going well in BOS/BOM/BOK.

Nefaro

Same.

I've really had some fun just flying around doing random "air quake" shit in v1.5 servers.  Especially now that they're bringing out some older Cold War birds. 

It would be so much better if they got away from this WW2 nonsense and fully devoted themselves to getting on with the big v2 show.  This side show diversion is not only frustrating to players, but does a disservice to the 3rd-party developers who are actually producing quality content for a DCS World in a constant Beta state with two versions.

I blame WW2-focused gaming developers for ruining the fun.  Again.   :knuppel2:

JudgeDredd

aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgh

Another bundle sale - all of which contain the Nevada map.  :knuppel2:

Go get one of the bundles for 40% off
Alba gu' brath

Destraex

Quote from: Nefaro on December 31, 2016, 12:02:52 PM

Same.

I've really had some fun just flying around doing random "air quake" shit in v1.5 servers.  Especially now that they're bringing out some older Cold War birds. 

It would be so much better if they got away from this WW2 nonsense and fully devoted themselves to getting on with the big v2 show.  This side show diversion is not only frustrating to players, but does a disservice to the 3rd-party developers who are actually producing quality content for a DCS World in a constant Beta state with two versions.

I blame WW2-focused gaming developers for ruining the fun.  Again.   :knuppel2:

I have the opposite view. I think DCS is the best sim for combat aircraft no matter the era. Thus my fondest wish is a ww2 branch as comprehensive as possible and for the first time hopefully having comprehensive 4 flyable engined support. My view on modern jet combat is more one of being a systems admin than a pilot. I like it and the aircraft look amazing. But I also like ww2 where I "feel" more of the flying. The ww2 map is going to be amazing. Hopefully it doubles the size of the DCS team and snubs the competition. Not that it will need to as their is no competition for ww2 european air war at the moment. Just the usual glut of eastern front and smattering of BOB sims. No desert (coming soon from the CLOD engine through a third party though)and no late European theatre.
Nothing wrong with some air quake! For that matter nothing wrong with ww1 either!

Other sims just don't give me the feeling of actually being airborne. DCS is the first one that has in some time.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

trek

Well Des I might agree with you on DCS WW2 that is before I got IL-2 BOS BOM. I realize we all differ on our experience with these flight sims but personally Il-2 BOS has the best sense of flight of any game I've ever played bar none. I feel the same way about ROF WW1 as the 777 Devs have taken the genre to a new level like they are now doing with IL-2 BOS. TF has also done a great job with IL-2 BOB and the game is like a new penny now. I uninstalled it because however great it is for MP the SP enemy AI is basically non-existent in my experience. They never attack you in a dogfight so for me its' just not enjoyable. Now if they could incorporate the old dog BOB WOV enemy AI which IMHO is the best in the business we'd really have something! But we can only dream I guess.

Nefaro

IL-2BOS is more than enough WW2 flight sim to keep me happy.  They're even making a Pacific version after their upcoming Kuban one. 

I think it comes down to whether you're a WW2-only nut.  There are plenty out there.  More so than good jet aircraft sims these days.  So the faster they wash their hands of that WW2 Kickstarter gone wrong, the faster they can get back to finishing their friggin' maps and v2 client that they've had to leave unfinished.  There is already more than enough WW2 to go around, even in flight simming.

Hopefully the devs have learned their lesson about Kickstarting 3rd party dev teams, too.  I expect they have, but you never know.  In an ironic turn, the non-KS 3rd party developers have been the ones keeping much of DCS alive while the devs are off fixing their Normandy wreck.  Otherwise the majority of their modern content would've been on life support, slowing withering away.

Nefaro

Meanwhile, back at the ranch..

.. some goofiness on top of a good MP dogfight these guys had.
  :hide:  ;D

Puts me in the mood.   :dreamer:

Nefaro

Remember that button-pushing VR 'glove' we were discussing before?

Supply is preparing to catch up to demand...

http://www.captoglove.com/

Apparently they're going to demonstrate the switch flipping sometime soon. 

Always said those DCS study sims needed something like this for the button-pushing alone since it's so awkward taking hands off HOTAS in the middle of flight to move the mouse cursor around the screen.  Would be much easier just pointing your (throttle side) finger at it and activating the switch in question.

Nefaro

50% Off Russian-related planes until Feb 26

Defender of the Fatherland Sale

Today we have an early weekend news update given the Russian Defender of the Fatherland holiday this weekend. To commemorate the event, we are offering a 50% off sale on all Russian aircraft from 23 February at 1500 GMT and lasting until 26 February at 0900 GMT.

These modules include:

Su-27 for DCS World
    Su-25 for DCS World
    DCS: L-39 Albatros
    DCS: MiG-15bis
    DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight
    DCS: Black Shark 2
    DCS: MiG-21bis
    DCS: Spitfire IX

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/

Su-27 and Su-25 are $4.99   :)

Tuna

Shouldn't Russia be defender of the motherland?

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on February 22, 2017, 12:39:49 PM
Shouldn't Russia be defender of the motherland?

*shrug*

Maybe they changed it back after the Commies left the building?

Tuna

Is the mig21 the latest you are focusing on?