Urban Empire - January 20th

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 14, 2017, 08:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: bbmike on January 15, 2017, 12:25:56 PM
Plus...DLC, DLC, DLC and more DLC!  :buck2:

That's the story of most games released nowadays....

JudgeDredd

Well? It's out at £34.99...what's it like?
Alba gu' brath

Hofstadter

Doesnt look like its going very well. Seems people want a more complex political segment
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Grim.Reaper

I ended up forgetting about it and did not pre-order....initial responses does seem luke-warm so will likely watch how things unfold now.

Ian C

Quote from: Hofstadter on January 21, 2017, 02:36:33 AM
Doesnt look like its going very well. Seems people want a more complex political segment

A result of companies dumbing-down games so they can appeal to more people, except that dumb people never play these kind of games.

DennisS

Quill18 has a lets play of ten videos on youtube. Watch these, and you will gain some pretty good insight on the gameplay. Personally, I liked what I saw.

Gusington

I take issue with that Ian C. I play these games all the time!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DennisS

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/01/20/urban-empire-review/

This review calls the end game a "forgone conclusion", and they see very little replay value. From what I can tell from the lets plays...they may well have a point.

Greybriar

Here is a playlist of Quill18's YouTube's videos about Urban Empire (in case Grim.Reaper missed any):

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Greybriar

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 15, 2017, 03:26:31 PM
Quote from: bbmike on January 15, 2017, 12:25:56 PM
Plus...DLC, DLC, DLC and more DLC!  :buck2:

That's the story of most games released nowadays....

So true. Especially when the company publishing the game is named Paradox...or Kalypso. :-"
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Ian C

Quote from: Gusington on January 21, 2017, 06:31:43 PM
I take issue with that Ian C. I play these games all the time!

Lol. Apologies.

I am admittedly quite dumb.

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Ian C on January 21, 2017, 05:13:32 AM
Quote from: Hofstadter on January 21, 2017, 02:36:33 AM

A result of companies dumbing-down games so they can appeal to more people, except that dumb people never play these kind of games.

I haven't played the game so can't really comment on how your comment applies to this thread.  I would say that, in general, a lot of games do get dumbed down. 

But lots of others are just unsuccessfully trying to replicate the process that Eurogaming used to revitalize the board-gaming industry 10-15 years ago:  If you can take a couple simple mechanics, and merge them together perfectly, you get a game with simple rules and mechanics but great strategic depth.  With new titles like this, I can't tell whether designers are really "dumbing down a game" or whether they just missed on the execution of a "simple mechanics but complex strategy" effort.

DennisS

As I suspected, now that this game has been out for a week or so, there are increasingly common comments that the game doesn't have much replayability.

Apparently, if you wish to go through a western European, liberal agenda, this is the I-win button. Any other philosophy is severely punished, and you are just handicapping yourself.

I believe that I will let this one pass..the game starts the same each time, no variation, and no randomization, the same issues, and the same results.