Urban Empire - January 20th

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 14, 2017, 08:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Anybody looking forward to this?  I am on the fence myself, but does intrigue me.  Seems like a combination of city building and political management.  What interests me the most, it seems the city building part is lighter (don't have to worry about roads and the finer details, etc.), which has always been over my head in other hard core city builders.  Cost is discounted right now at $33.  I'll likely cave at some point, I always do:)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/352550/

Overview
In Urban Empire you take control of a mayoral dynasty and lead your city and people through 200 years of history. Establish infrastructures, plan city districts, debate political decisions at the town council, bribe or blackmail your opponents, empower the democratic rights of your people or ignore them and reign supremely by yourself – the decision is yours!

Beginning in the 1820s, establish your city through five different eras, each with its own threats and opportunities. Master the challenges of the centuries, face political struggles, experience world-changing events and pioneering inventions, and create your own unique Urban Empire!

Urban Empire is a 'City Ruler', pioneering a new breed of strategy game that combines city builder features with political scheming and adds profound social and historical events into the mix, creating a whole new gameplay experience where players must employ strategic planning and political savvy to successfully grow their cities in their role as Mayor.

City Ruler, not City Builder: Urban Empire offers a unique combination of classic city building and political management gameplay. Take on the role of a mayor, be a political mastermind and prove your skills by prevailing against opposing parties and guiding your city through technological evolutions and ideological revolutions.

Choose from 4 ruling families with 5 characters each, like the equal rights and social justice advocates the Kilgannons, or the Sant'Elias, who focus on scientific progress and the pursuit of knowledge.

Create and manage city districts on a large scale and fulfil your citizens' needs – such as happiness, safety, and public services.

Introduce new ideas and technologies, like the electric tram, antibiotics or video games and use your power to convince the city council of your political agenda.

Up to 1000 dynamic events represent the twists and turns of urban life: make and influence decisions on issues such as women's rights, the hippie movement, and child labor.

Video Let's Plays

bbmike

I am. I'm hoping the political part of the game is fun. I per-ordered after watching those videos.  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

Yeah, the political aspect is most intriguing to me.....very likely will pre order myself:)

Grim.Reaper

If your looking for other ordering options beyond Steam, just some places that is cheaper.....

http://www.gamesdeal.com/urban-empire-pc.html ($30)
https://www.kinguin.net/paypal-exclusive-sale ($24, if you pay with PayPal)
http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/urban-empire-pc-steam-cd-key ($29)
https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/1782-buy-key-steam-urban-empire/ ($26)

***these may not come with the pre order bonus which is ***
Pre-purchase Urban Empire now and experience the early stages of urban architecture with the Half Timbered Building Pack, and enjoy the game's original soundtrack.
The Half Timbered Building Pack contains 7 unique buildings from times before 1820 and brings some oldschool style and tradition to your very own Urban Empire.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Father Ted

It's on my wishlist, but not so high up it that I'll buy before seeing some reviews.

Rayfer

Quote from: Father Ted on January 14, 2017, 11:42:07 AM
It's on my wishlist, but not so high up it that I'll buy before seeing some reviews.

Or wait for the Steam summer sale and get it for a fraction of the cost? I've become jaded against paying new release prices. Many, but not all, of them drop quickly.  :-[

Grim.Reaper

I don't know if this game will be great, odds are probably not, but as long as fun and different, likely will give it a chance.  Waiting for a sale is always an option (maybe smart for some), but already can pick it up for $24 which I am guessing won't be much different then what it will cost in the summer unless the game really sucks....and if it does suck, no point picking up in the summer either:)

My biggest problem right now has nothing to do with this game, but my gaming habits in general.  Nothing really fully satisfying me and finding myself play games less and less....even though I keep buying:)

FarAway Sooner

Any game that tries to blend different genres or offer a different kind of game play gets a thumbs-up in m book, although I don't have the time or the $$ to buy it until I hear some good reviews of it.  I very much like what they're trying to do here.

Gusington

I am interested, especially in the 19th century stages. I wonder if I can play a game entirely set in that era?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

YosemiteMark

This one is definitely on my watch list.  From those videos,  it looks like it should be a good, but not great, game.

Father Ted

Quote from: Rayfer on January 14, 2017, 11:54:23 AM
Quote from: Father Ted on January 14, 2017, 11:42:07 AM

Or wait for the Steam summer sale and get it for a fraction of the cost?

Probably...I do like city-builders, and I dolike the idea of the political machinations, but whether this game is aligned with my expectation of what it is remains to be seen.  Hence my reticence.

DennisS

Here is my concern with this game. Well..I have several, actually.

First is the starting conditions. Each map is the same, each political group is the same, each political pary will react the same, each and every time.

The result of this may well be an opening theory, or gamesmanship will develop. The "correct" answer will be developed over time. Don't do this edict, it will cost you X to gain Y. Do this, and spend THIS much influence for optimal results.

There does appear to be variables..and each game may play out slightly different. But..if you step on hex C-4 and trigger a machine gun (old Ambush! board game), then the next time you play, you won't step on hex C-4. The same it may be with this game.

All of the videos I saw played out extremely similarly. I am just not seeing the replayability of this title. Someone convince me that I'm wrong here!

Grim.Reaper

Nope wouldn't try and convince anyone, hard to know until it comes out.  You do have multiple families to start with plus a lot of dynamic events, but who knows.  As previously stated, don't think it will be game of the year material, but may be a nice distraction.

bbmike

Plus...DLC, DLC, DLC and more DLC!  :buck2:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak