XCOM2 Reloads and Game difficulty

Started by fran, January 07, 2017, 08:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fran

Currently playing the game at Commander level, I do find that I must constantly revert to saves to complete missions.

I find that it distract from my enjoyment of the game replaying single mission so many times, often because a team member dies, or I don't complete the mission withing it's time limit.

I was thinking to go down a difficultly level and just to play the game without loading within missions.

JasonPratt

If you're playing at Commander level, you should expect team deaths. At a certain level of play, that has always been part of the X-Com experience since the UFO: Enemy Unknown in the early 90s.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

FarAway Sooner

Yup.  That provides a strong incentive to develop "bench strength" and incorporate one or two less experienced guys in missions early on.

That was one of the things I didn't like about the game's shift to "class-based" advancement was that the wrong death to the wrong character was brutally hard to recover from.  I always seemed to end up with 4 Snipers in reserve that I didn't really need, but could never get a reserve Assault guy.

DennisS

I played X-Com: Enemy Unknown back in the day as much as any other game I owned, not named Railroad Tycoon II, or Civilization I.

Having said that, the only do-overs I allowed myself was to fire all new soldiers with bravery less than 40. They just couldn't survive the tough missions.

These new versions are much the same.

For X-Com fans, I would like to direct your attention to Xenonauts, on Steam, which is a near copy of X-Com, but better in most respects.

FarAway Sooner

I second that on Xenonauts.  I played both 40+ hours, and Xenonauts is the superior title.  Production values aren't nearly as slick, but the game play is much more immersive, especially if you like a little more complexity.  It's also a very faithful reproduction of the original X-Com game.  And the scientist write-ups are hilarious...

JudgeDredd

One reason I didn't buy this game was the time limit missions. I have no time for them - pun intended.

Mate - rather than get down about the difficulty, lower the difficulty. It's not like you're finding the game difficult but are at the lowest setting. Why  :pullhair:  when you can lower the difficulty and have a  :bd:  gaming experience?
Alba gu' brath

Shelldrake

I am playing on Veteran and find the gameplay plenty challenging, especially with the timed missions.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

fabius

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 09, 2017, 01:54:12 AM
One reason I didn't buy this game was the time limit missions. I have no time for them - pun intended.

Mate - rather than get down about the difficulty, lower the difficulty. It's not like you're finding the game difficult but are at the lowest setting. Why  :pullhair:  when you can lower the difficulty and have a  :bd:  gaming experience?

Picked up XCom 2 in the sale. There are Time Limit mods. One I think that gives 4 more turns for most missions and one that makes most unlimited.

This mod is not seen as cheating as more time allows for better tactics.  :bd:

Agree with the general sentiment that X Com is about being bloody and loosing a steady stream of guys on each mission. But sure, dial down the difficulty and enjoy. Even at the low difficulty there will be hard moments.

JasonPratt

Quote from: fabius on January 09, 2017, 10:58:51 AM

Besides, on the Terror missions (and their ilk), there's a reasonable and variable time limit inherent with the mission style: the aliens are doing something there on the board, and if you're skillful (and lucky) you can extend the delay of their success.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Windigo

Quote from: fran on January 07, 2017, 08:36:49 AM
Currently playing the game at Commander level, I do find that I must constantly revert to saves to complete missions.

I find that it distract from my enjoyment of the game replaying single mission so many times, often because a team member dies, or I don't complete the mission withing it's time limit.

I was thinking to go down a difficultly level and just to play the game without loading within missions.

Hi fran,
Drop the difficulty level. The difference different between Veteran and Commander is substantial and unforgiving. Aliens and Advent have greater hitpoint levels in Commander level that mean you need to hit most enemy at least twice. They also have better firing accuracy. They start flinging grenades around much earlier in the story line as well. Different enemy types show up earlier as well.... and your research takes longer, as does the costs of all things.

Cumulatively it is a really... really nasty jump in difficulty. So, you may want to drop a level and preserve soldiers, or learn to enjoy soldier's funerals a bit more at Commander level.

XCOM2 is a good remedy for hubris. It hurts so good.

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

fabius

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 09, 2017, 11:06:22 AM
Quote from: fabius on January 09, 2017, 10:58:51 AM

Besides, on the Terror missions (and their ilk), there's a reasonable and variable time limit inherent with the mission style: the aliens are doing something there on the board, and if you're skillful (and lucky) you can extend the delay of their success.

Oh yes, I have a love-hate relationship with terror missions. I still remember my shock of playing my first Xcom Reboot 1.

Heart sinks when I hear the screams and see I have to save civilians. From then on it's all pump to get de job done. I find it hard to judge the risk reward of pushing to save enough or keeping the squad safe-ish.

Shelldrake

This link takes you to a useful list of mods/tweaks for XCOM2 that can alter game difficulty.

http://www.pcgamer.com/best-xcom-2-mods/4//
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

ghostryder

Once you've activated a time limit mod careful deliberate advance and the knowledge the A.I. is determined to run out to get itself killed -I've found the game's A.I. the worst of all versions. Even aliens with long range attacks will be run out into turkey shoots regularily. Time limits try to mask this---but even without modding them it is easily evident. Overall I think Firaxis lazily followed up on the success of the first- the overall premise really deserved more than a recolored version with the very same layout. Instead of a giant blimp sized ship covert operations really did deserve a return to multiple bases----that's how one really should be discovering allies in the different regions hiding covertly. They instead played it safe--regardless wether it really made any since. And snakemen walking down mainstreet really doesn't in light of the hidden helmeted aliens pretending to still be human. That discovery COULD HAVE been a major plot line---but instead your just fighting them everywhere within towns and cities---

It's still a fun game-and I really like the better soldier options and graphics-but this game really could have been so much more. If your really having trouble just remember---they will ALWAYS run out into a turkey shoot.

Windigo

Wtf Ghost? The AU on Commander lever is awesome. The only time the aliens get stupid is when you lure them with a mimic beacon. It's like bacon for a groghead.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Freyland

Quote from: Windigo on January 11, 2017, 02:16:53 AM
Wtf Ghost? The AU on Commander lever is awesome. The only time the aliens get stupid is when you lure them with a mimic beacon. It's like bacon for a groghead.

+1