Main Menu

CM 4.0 released

Started by RyanE, December 24, 2016, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Ok, to be continued then.  <:-)
Have a great Xmas, gents!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

MikeGER

Quote from: RyanE on December 24, 2016, 02:21:46 PM
My excitement has slowly petered away.  I miss my dongle.

:o ^-^

RyanE

Note I said "petered" and "dongle" in the same post.  Internet first time.

bob48

...6 sharp ones and a bag of gravel, please.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

panzerde

FWIW, I had no problems finding the bundle and have activated all of my games, all of which include all available expansions, by doing nothing more than pasting in the code and hitting the activate button. So apparently YMMV.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

RyanE

For some reason, some people, including me, are having issues with CMRT and the upgrade.  Here is Steve's Advice from the forum:

"For CMRT you must reenter your base game code.  It's a quirk specific to CMRT.  I'll see what I can do about flagging this information for easier viewing.

Steve"

I am about to try that.  I still don't understand what the heck can cause all of these issues every time they issue a module, patch, or upgrade.  This is the third patch, module, upgrade in a row that has been a complete cluster and caused me to waste almost an entire day working out.  I really want to support BFC, but the sometimes make things maddeningly difficult.

RyanE

Yskonyn

Yeah, It said to enter your original license key in that activation window for CMRT. So after getting a no go on my new Upgrade 4 license I just stubbornly entered the original base code and voila.
I can be stubborn like that without reading information out there and still reap rewards. :D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

RyanE

The problem is there was no information out there to read until BFC figured it out just a little while ago.  Now they have something posted.

I am a little confused.  I thought one of the points of this paid upgrade was simplify and streamline the DRM process.  I would rate that a fail up to this point.

I started this process this morning and just got it all running about 30 minutes ago.

RyanE

Now that I can run it...

This a very subtle transformational change.  When CM2 started out, there were issues with defensively placed MGs not being able to effectively stop a small group infantry from approaching in the open.  They didn't fire often enough, the infantry didn't get suppressed fast enough, etc.  BFC made some good changes to fix that.  But one thing that was a disadvantage for the infantry is they clumped up and and always moved in a pretty straight column.  This allowed the fixed MGs to fire straight down the length of a squad and, once they had the range, mow the infantry down.  It was the one glaring issue in straight up open field infantry combat.  This upgrade seems to have fixed that now.   

I have an old MG test scenario in CMBN and now find that infantry approaching on a run will be stopped, but only after approaching within 300m.  My scenario has a simple HMG M1919 firing on a platoon on the move.  In the original CM2, the platoon could get within 150m and then gun down the MG crew.  In the fixed MG scenario, the MG stopped the platoon outside 500m, basically almost wiping out squads before they got pinned.  Now, the platoon gets to within 300m and then get gets pinned.  Now a real firefight develops at longer range.

I think this is a game changer for infantry combat and will push players to use real tactics against MGs and they can be effective.  The main change is squads a little more spread out, but mostly they don't move in straight columns.  Its fabulous to watch.

I also think some of the AI changes for scenario building will open scenario building up to players that have fewer skills with the tricks to get the AI to be a skilled opponent.

Zulu1966

Hey Ryan E. Any idea what happened to the follow command you posted about a few weeks back? Can't see it listed. Saw similar question on bf forum but no answer. Peeking round corners is huge if it works the follow was bigger. In the north of Finland currently with suite internet so can't check this baby out myself.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Destraex

Did they fix the campaign briefing so that it fills the whole screen now?

I just looked at the patch notes and cannot determine why it is worth $14 Australian dollars per game (have not looked for the bundle).
There are a few new commands and a few things for scenario builders but apart from that I am on the fence. It seems to be more like a small hotfix.

Does this just include all of the changes of final Blitzkrieg?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MikeGER

Quote from: Zulu1966 on December 25, 2016, 12:27:10 AM
....Any idea what happened to the follow command you posted about a few weeks back? Can't see it listed.

i have seen a longer post by a developer yesterday who said (here condensed, in my words) "sadly it was just a bride to far to get it work properly and with satisfactorily results for to put into the open. Its seem to be much harder to program then thought. It still remains a top priority on the developers personal wish list, but he is skeptical if it can be done in the CM 2.0 engine at all, Its high up on the teams to-do list for the next evolution of the engine. "       

Destraex

Does anybody know if 4.0 gives any performance increase?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

chemkid

Quote from: RyanE on December 24, 2016, 05:08:26 PM
It worked...holy cow.
some years ago i bougth SCWW1 and had the usual license problems... got fixed in a minute with voodoo magic if i remember correctly. BUT! later that year i bought the big bundle for Normandy and i was never asked to enter any serial!!! i opened a ticket with BF but they couldn't solve that 'problem'.... mysterious!!! i always wondered why everybody is so upset with BF DRM?!
(after the 3.0 update last year i had to enter my serial like e everyone else, though...)

btw, that was my Christmas bedtime story for you. :D