Main Menu

CM 4.0 released

Started by RyanE, December 24, 2016, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

The fourth version of the second engine...

But, again, their DRM raises its head for real customers.  The actual information is a little scattered and confusing about what and where you buy it, but you start on the bfc homepage, you can eventually get to a bundle if own all the games, except Shock Force.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/124158-license-key-for-40-upgrade/

Some neat things in this one, but I think this engine upgrade was for a lot of infrastructure stuff like DRM and module streamlining.  Not a lot of huge game=changinf features.

I am a little more excited about this than normal.  Since my SB days are numbered, I have gone back to playing CM somewhat regularly.

Sir Slash

I saw that this morning. Get your wallets out.  #:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

RyanE

I would hold off on the wallets until they fix the DRM issue.  Looks like no Windows users can license and play.

Here is the change list.  A bunch of things added for scenario building, finally.  Some of those things should have been in since the beginning.  They really help with good scenario design.

Upgrade 4 Features

GAMEPLAY

HULLDOWN COMMAND: Vehicles have access to a new movement command called Hulldown. This command allows a vehicle to move forward until only the turret is exposed to a specified target, and then the vehicle stops moving.

IMPROVED INFANTRY SPACING: Infantry on the move will now respect each other's personal space! While moving, squad and team members will maintain a few meters of distance between each other. Soldiers will also spread out laterally on the move when possible (some terrain may necessitate column movement, such as paths through rough terrain).

PEEKING AROUND BUILDING CORNERS: Infantry units positioned adjacent to building corners will now automatically post some soldiers at the corners to observe and fire around the obstacle

AI PROACTIVELY AVOIDS HIGH-EXPLOSIVE FIRE: The TacAI that runs soldiers and vehicles will more proactively, and reactively, attempt to avoid incoming HE fire. Two classic examples are that the AI will attempt to avoid being wiped out by incoming artillery barrages and direct tank fire.

COMBINE SQUAD COMMAND: Combine Squad is a new Admin Command for squads. This command is useful for squads that have suffered major losses and need to consolidate their remaining personnel into larger teams!

USER INTERFACE

EXPANDED WAYPOINT DESCRIPTIVE TEXT: More special unit commands (such as Hide and Deploy Weapon) will now be marked with white floating text above the waypoint they are assigned to.

CAMPAIGN BRIEFING: The overall campaign briefing is now viewable during any campaign mission by going to the Menu Options Panel and selecting "Campaign".

FORWARD OBSERVER KILL CREDITS: Finally, time to see how effective your artillery really is! Forward Observers now get credit on the AAR for any casualties caused by off-map fire missions called in by them.

SCREEN EDGE PAN TOGGLE: Tired of trying to fine tune a camera position and then messing it up by touching the edge of the screen with the cursor? Using the hotkey ALT-E you can disable camera panning by touching the screen edge with the mouse cursor.

EDITOR

AI AREA FIRE ORDERS: The AI can now be scripted to use Area Fire! Each AI Order can have a target zone designated.

AI FACING ORDERS: Each AI Order can be given a location for it to Face towards.

AI WITHDRAW ORDERS: AI Groups can be ordered to Withdraw towards their movement destination. Vehicles will move in Reverse to the destination, while infantry will leapfrog back while turning around to face behind them.

CAMPAIGN RESUPPLY: Personnel replacements and ammunition levels are now more uniformly resupplied across all core units between campaign missions, as opposed to the all-or-nothing check on each unit done previously.

3D FLAVOR OBJECT CLONE TOOL: Flavor object can be cloned within the 3D view without having to go back to the 2D view.

32 ORDER AI PLANS: Each AI Group can now have up to 32 Orders, increased from 16.

STREAM TERRAIN: Small streams can now be placed on battle maps.

GRAPHICS

New tracer and muzzle flash effects.

Grim.Reaper

Remind me again.....beyond Gustav Line, was that just a module of Fortress Italy?  I own it but noticed in the big bundle upgrade they offer, doesn't list is specifically...but thinking it was just a module and would be covered by the CMFI Upgrade.

Also, looks like before you can go to 4.0, must have 3.0 as well....

RyanE

GL is just a module of CMFI.  Speaking of that, if you buy the 4.0 engine upgrade bundle for all 5 games, it won't do CMFI.  CMFI didn't make the cut and won't be upgraded until mid-January.  In BFC-speak, that is some time in Feb.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: RyanE on December 24, 2016, 09:44:35 AM
GL is just a module of CMFI.  Speaking of that, if you buy the 4.0 engine upgrade bundle for all 5 games, it won't do CMFI.  CMFI didn't make the cut and won't be upgraded until mid-January.  In BFC-speak, that is some time in Feb.

Thanks...saw the delay, but definitely seems worth it to go for the bundle since I own them all....also need to buy the $5 3.0 upgrade for CMFI since I never did that in the past.

RyanE

Just pointing out they haven't sorted the issues with the 4.0 bundle upgrade.  No one from BFC has responded yet.

Grim.Reaper

Yep, but I figure they will get it sorted, going to be a purchase anyway....I have some last minute shopping this morning so I will hold off until at least later today and hopefully things sorted by then.

Con

Any news about being able to target buildings top floors if you dont have LOS to the bottom floor tile.  That is always a pain for me for to allocate supressing fire.

Con

RyanE

I am assuming it hasn't changed...

1) it wasn't listed
2) Steve has always said it is a fundamental engine LOS issue related the tile approach they chose.  It would be a major undertaking, according to him.

While it can be a pain now and then, I may encounter it once in every 4-5 games I play.  Every game has its limitations somewhere. 

I think the bigger change that not many have mentioned is squad spacing.  This is a fundamental issue that has driven a lot of weird game design issues.  They had to nerf HE effects to compensate for it.  It completely borks moving in the open against MG defenses.  I am anxious to see if it has any real effect on those two issues.

Con

Ahh who am i kidding of course i am going to buy it (even if it had major issues I am a CM whore).  Already downloading it from the store

Con

Pete Dero

At least there is some logic to it all :

The Game Engine 4 Upgrade for CM Final Blitzkrieg is not a standalone game. You need the CMFB v1.02 (Game Engine 3) in order to play. Once upgraded the version number changes to v2.x.

So engine 3 is version 1 and engine 4 is version 2 !

chemkid

thanks for the heads-up! already downloading my update for CM Normandy, yeah! :D

RyanE

Seems to be some kind of issue with CMBS download also.  I downloaded it and it looks like its the 3.11 patch, not the 4.0.  I will double-check I clicked on the right link.  I also see that BFC is working on the issue, but Steve's first response has me more confused than before.  I sure hope this DRM system is making them a lot of money, because it has been nothing but hassles for years for me.

Con

Anyone else getting a wrong license key error?  I made sure its the right license.  I even went back and used the original license from when I bought the initial gameand I was able to use those so I know I am putting int he license correctly.  I applied the update correctly because when I try and run the games it now demands that I need to activate them but with this license error I seem to be locked out of playing them for the moment.

I have put a ticket into the help desk

Conrad