Main Menu

Weekend Eats

Started by bayonetbrant, March 31, 2012, 08:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

OK folks -

What was this weekend's menu?  And what was the recipe?

Slow-cooked pork

1.5-2 lbs of thick cut (1" or so) boneless pork chops
1/2 red onion
1 packet of lipton onion soup mix
1 can of peas & carrots
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 jar of pork gravy
1 tbsp of butter
salt & pepper to taste; dash of paprika or sage (but not both!) isn't bad either

Take out pork chops and let them come to room temperature
While they are sitting, turn slow-cooker on high and pour in the olive oil to heat up while you chop the onion (coarsely)
Pour in the onion and heat it up for 5-10 minutes while you season the pork chops and let the seasoning sit for a sec
Place the pork chops in the slow cooker on a single layer.  I like to give 'em a swish through the olive oil for a quick coating and make sure both sides get covered before I move on. YMMV.
Sprinkle the onion soup mix over the pork chops
Pour the gravy over the soup mix
VERY IMPORTANT - run about 1/4 cup of water through the gravy container (I use jar gravy, so I put a little water in, shake it up good) and dump into the slow cooker.  You have to add some water to the gravy before it start cooking, or you'll end up with tar in 4 hours.

Cook for 3-4 hours, stirring every hour or so.
If you're cooking for more people than you have pork chops, break them up while you're stirring so it's more stew and less pork steak

About 30 minutes before you're ready to serve, drain the peas & carrots, and stir them into gravy with the butter.

Can be served over rice or spƤtzle, or alongside roasted potatoes (which is what we did tonight)

Bon appetit!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

I'm not sure what it was exactly, but the "green" thingy was flavored with dirt seasoning and the "meat" was seasoned with clear.

bob48

Yesterday was a home made turkey stir-fry, and today will be a traditional English roast beef sunday dinner. Yum! Plenty to spare if anyone cares to attend.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Martok

I'm glad I've (finally!) learned to eat first before reading these threads. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on April 01, 2012, 05:20:54 AMI'm not sure what it was exactly, but the "green" thingy was flavored with dirt seasoning and the "meat" was seasoned with clear.

Are you out "on operations" right now?  Or back inside the corral?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

I'm wasting the last few days before heading back to the corral.  Hence I have nothing better to do than surf for the end of the intrawebs!

Barthheart

Quote from: bob48 on April 01, 2012, 06:02:00 AM
Yesterday was a home made turkey stir-fry, and today will be a traditional English roast beef sunday dinner. Yum! Plenty to spare if anyone cares to attend.
Yorkshire pudding included? I loves me some Yorkshire.... 8)

Today is roast Chicken.
1 small roasting chicken. Wash and pat dry.
Rub with pepper, salt, Herbs de Provence and olive oil.
Stuff cavity with to large fresh rosemary sprigs and a lemon cut into quarters.
Place in roaster so chicken does not touch bottom, use rack etc.
Cook at 350F in coverd roaster until 3/4 done. Remove cover and continue cooking until skin is brown and crispy.

LongBlade

I'm smoking some ribs this afternoon.

Ribs + fire + time.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bob48

Quote from: Barthheart on April 01, 2012, 01:51:21 PM
Quote from: bob48 on April 01, 2012, 06:02:00 AM
Yorkshire pudding included? I loves me some Yorkshire.... 8)

Today is roast Chicken.
1 small roasting chicken. Wash and pat dry.
Rub with pepper, salt, Herbs de Provence and olive oil.
Stuff cavity with to large fresh rosemary sprigs and a lemon cut into quarters.
Place in roaster so chicken does not touch bottom, use rack etc.
Cook at 350F in coverd roaster until 3/4 done. Remove cover and continue cooking until skin is brown and crispy.

Oh yes, Yorkshire pud - most certainly.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Centurion40

Quote from: LongBlade on April 01, 2012, 02:17:24 PM

Ribs + fire + time.

I thought that you gave that up in college.   ;) Wait... what?  Oh ribs.  Sorry.  :D

Dry rub or sauce?
Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on April 01, 2012, 09:05:10 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on April 01, 2012, 02:17:24 PM

Ribs + fire + time.

I thought that you gave that up in college.   ;) Wait... what?  Oh ribs.  Sorry.  :D

Dry rub or sauce?

I prefer dry rub, but my wife marinated hers in Italian dressing for 24 hours.

Turns out I botched them - we cut them in half since the pack was opened early to accommodate the marinade. Turns out that three and a half hours with all those ribs half the size was too long. They came out dry.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

I cannot wait to break out the grill.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Bison on April 02, 2012, 12:14:00 PM

What the Hell are you waiting for? If we don't have any snow left on the ground here, you can't have much where you are.

Barthheart

Quote from: Bison on April 02, 2012, 12:14:00 PM

Never put mine away. Nothing like grilling steak at -30C with a parka on!  8)

Bison

My grill unfortunately not readily availible.  /sigh/