N00bs Guide to Embedding Youtube Vids in Posts

Started by Staggerwing, February 17, 2013, 10:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

After futzing around for a bit I finally figured out how to get a clean link for embedding a video in my posts:

It is important to uncheck the box to the left of the copy box because it seems to screw things up if it is checked. It is only there if the video is linked into a series.

Most of you will probably already know what to do but I thought I'd share my efforts anyway.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TheCommandTent

I think you can also just copy and paste the url from the address part into the YouTube tags.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

There often seems to be added code in the full URL that messes stuff up. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Here's an example:

Works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oNpmSAvpGQ

Doesn't work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf6LD2B_kDQ&list=PL5DF6078ABC09FBCD&index=1

Granted, it's obvious there is much more 'stuff' in the second link but for those of us who don't read HTML and whatnot I thought I'd offer a solution in case "... the damn thing won't work!"

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

TheCommandTent

Ahh yes I see what you are saying.  I guess I have only embedded videos  with the shorter URL.  Thanks for the heads up!
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bayonetbrant

yes, if you have code in the URL from
-- a referral URL
-- a playlist
-- a link from an embedded video

then it likely won't embed correctly from the URL in the menu bar
Stagger's 'how to' is pretty foolproof
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

UPDATED!

If the YouTube link is an "https" link, then you have to remove the "S"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

actually, it's broken right now.  the "upgrade" they posted for the tagging, isn't....

Staggerwing

Yeah, in my above example from 2 years ago, now neither url works.  ::)

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 17, 2015, 04:22:19 PM
actually, it's broken right now.  the "upgrade" they posted for the tagging, isn't....

That's quite a fix!  :P

bayonetbrant

Staggerwing

Must have been the Sacrifice to Odin I fit in this weekend, somewhere between doing the laundry and posting on the forums.

bayonetbrant

See where it's telling you to pull the link from?
Notice that it's not the URL from the address bar?

compare these two URLs:

followed YT embed instructions
https://youtu.be/ScuwBnXgCv8    <----- embed works fine, no SWF download

didn't follow YT embed instructions, grabbed link from address bar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScuwBnXgCv8   <----- embed doesn't work, triggers SWF download b/c YouTube parser won't display it

I also experimented with "https" vs "http" and there appears to be no difference either way

I've tested this on a Mac, a Win7 machine, my Android phone, my Kindle Fire tablet, and an iPad mini and it seems to work the same in each case

bayonetbrant

Updated for (1) Youtube's new interface, and (2) Staggering's lost PhotoPhucket images

Staggerwing

Damn. Looks like Photobucket finally caught up with all my embedded pix.  :(