Guide to WW2 Ships (For Gaming) ?

Started by Ian C, January 28, 2019, 03:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

With the upcoming HOI4 DLC which allows naval design, I'm interested in building accurate historical naval vessels in-game, so can anyone please recommend a guide to WW2 naval vessels ?
I'm particularly interested in something that has *all* classes and variants, with specs.

Naval tech is my weak spot and I guess you guys might know the best books out there. Thanks.

MengJiao

Quote from: Ian C on January 28, 2019, 03:59:34 PM
With the upcoming HOI4 DLC which allows naval design, I'm interested in building accurate historical naval vessels in-game, so can anyone please recommend a guide to WW2 naval vessels ?
I'm particularly interested in something that has *all* classes and variants, with specs.

Naval tech is my weak spot and I guess you guys might know the best books out there. Thanks.

Actually Wikipedia is pretty good.  You can say something like French battleships and work from there.   So you pick a nationality and maybe a ship type and just keep going. 

as for books, the amount of detail can be vast and unexpected.  One of my favorite odd tid-bits is that the Argus (an RN WWI aircraft carrier) was the only RN carrier able to strike down (ie lower below) fighters without folding wings and the Book the Grand Fleet (DK Brown 1999) has a picture to prove it.

solops

Jane's is, of course, the best source of data. The next best for stats is, I think, the Appendix in the manual for the classic naval game Action Stations!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

FarAway Sooner

CombinedFleet.com has pretty good data on American and Japanese capital ships.  But, as was mentioned above, I think Jayne's (Jane's?) Fighting Ships is the definitive source on the topic.

Unless folks have lifted all the info off Jayne's and put it into Wikipedia?   ;D

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Ian C

Thanks for the suggestions, all good choices.

Quote from: solops on January 28, 2019, 06:32:07 PM
The next best for stats is, I think, the Appendix in the manual for the classic naval game Action Stations!

Here!
https://www.myabandonware.com/download/mr8-action-stations

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on January 28, 2019, 10:17:23 PM
CombinedFleet.com has pretty good data on American and Japanese capital ships.

Word.  Every time I "rediscover," that site, I spend loads of time just cruisin' the info there.

solops

I checked and it is spelled "Jane's".  I have Jane's Fighting Ships of WWI, Jane's Fighting Ships of WWII and Jane's Fighting Aircraft of WWI, all spelled the same.

I really miss Action Stations! I wish there was an update. I still have all of my old manuals and stuff, including the 5.25" floppy it came on.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

CJReich46

Jane's or Conway's Definitely.   

My local library has them. They even have a 1914 edition, with a report section on the Russo-Japanese War photos of the ships and everything.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

My Mother ran the library in my grade school when I was a kid. She brought me home a book about The Spanish-American War written just after the war. It had lots of maps and pictures and... pen and ink drawings of the ships from both sides. I used to drool over those drawings they were so good.   :dreamer:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

My Mom made me take it back to the school library.  :'(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd