War Toys - GI Joe, WW2, WW1 and others

Started by airboy, January 24, 2019, 06:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

We went to the National Toy Museum in Kansas City.  They had a pretty awesome display of war toys.  Some of these I'd never heard of (Krack-a-Jap cannon & machine gun) and others I lusted over as a kid - but never got (GI Joe Navy Diver set and the extra awesome recoilless rifle).

You can see all of this at my blog:
https://averysgameblog.wordpress.com/2019/01/24/war-toys-national-toy-museum-part-3/

Steelgrave

Good stuff! I enjoyed reading your article, Airboy, and it brought back memories. I had the big G.I. Joe, the original, and a footlocker to store his gear in. I wanted the G.I. Joe Mercury Capsule soooo bad but come Christmas, I got some cheap knockoff astronauts instead. Well, I probably deserved coal so I'm not complaining  8) Love to visit that museum one day and KC is not a long drive from OKC   :bd:

Oh and a P.S.......reading the rest of your article on the museum, I encountered this:

Exactly the toys I was thinking of. In retrospect, Major Matt Mason was no G.I. Joe but he was ok   O0

JasonPratt

How the heck did that Joe fit inside that capsule?!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

I had some of those Major Matt Mason figures and accessories when I was a kid. Real full-size GI Joes as well, including that big yellow two-part command center truck-thing.  I even had the brief-case accessory with the hidden Luger inside.

IIRC, the guy on the Forgotten Firearms youtube channel tested out the real thing (with an HK submachine gun) a little while back.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DoctorQuest

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 24, 2019, 08:11:40 PM
How the heck did that Joe fit inside that capsule?!

I had one. He fit just fine sitting down.

It also came with a 45 RPM record of space flight recordings including the John Glenn quote in my sig.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Sir Slash

Do they let you play with anything while you're there? You should if you have to pay to get in I say.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 25, 2019, 11:54:48 AM
Do they let you play with anything while you're there? You should if you have to pay to get in I say.  ::)

They "sold me" a handheld bomb in their gift shop that explodes a plastic cap when it lands.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy