Weird night...

Started by SirAndrewD, January 13, 2019, 01:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

So I just learned my Dad is dying from cancer. 

Just now.  Weirdly from his wife's facebook post, she friended me so I'd see it. 

He and I talk weekly, so I'm shocked I hadn't heard it. 

I lost my mother at 22 to the same thing. 

So...well...this is an odd night. 

I'm surprised at how little horror or upset or breakdown I'm feeling.  It was sudden, it was just weird.

And I've been through it before. 

I'm sure it'll be worse tomorrow, and then worse again.

But tonight...

You all are good friends and companions.  I know it's just a message board.  But...I don't know.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

88mmkwk

So sorry to hear the sad news.  Losing a parent is an emotionally challenging time regardless of the relationship status.

My father and I had not had a close relationship, yet getting the call from a hospital staff member informing me that he had passed (I had not known he was in the hospital) was traumatizing for me.  I sympathize with the flood of emotions you must be feeling right now.

My kindest thoughts and prayers for you as you work through a tough time......
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

MetalDog

Cancer is a bad, mean, evil, thing.  So sorry to hear it has come to your family.  I pray you and your family will find peace.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

SirAndrewD

Quote from: MetalDog on January 13, 2019, 02:54:15 AM
Cancer is a bad, mean, evil, thing.  So sorry to hear it has come to your family.  I pray you and your family will find peace.

Come for the second time. 

The first time almost ended me.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Dammit Carl!

SirAndrewD

Can't sleep.  Thanks for the well wishes.

Staggerwing

SirAndrewD I'm sorry to hear the news.

We are all here for you so please lean on us anytime you need it.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: SirAndrewD on January 13, 2019, 01:33:38 AM
So I just learned my Dad is dying from cancer. 

Just now.  Weirdly from his wife's facebook post, she friended me so I'd see it. 

He and I talk weekly, so I'm shocked I hadn't heard it. 

I lost my mother at 22 to the same thing. 

So...well...this is an odd night. 

I'm surprised at how little horror or upset or breakdown I'm feeling.  It was sudden, it was just weird.

And I've been through it before. 

I'm sure it'll be worse tomorrow, and then worse again.

But tonight...

You all are good friends and companions.  I know it's just a message board.  But...I don't know.

Sorry to hear that.  I lost both of my parents to the same thing and had something similar to you as the circumstances of finding out.  My mother never told me, I happened to be going into a doctor's office for some testing when I ran into her coming out of the cancer clinic.  What really made it weird is that was the first time I was ever at that office and I rarely ever go to a doctor.....but it happened that day.  That day she told us she had 6-months to live and she ended up passing away exactly six months from that day I ran into her.  Strange things happen for a reason I guess.

bbmike

Sorry to hear that, SirAndrewD.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Man....not what I was expecting to read when I clicked on this topic.

Really sorry to see this news, SirAndrewD. We'll be praying for the best, and for you and your family.

We're all here for you.

Hang in there, bud.  :-[
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bayonetbrant

So sorry to hear about your dad :(

#fuckcancer
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

besilarius

SirAndrewD, this so hard and so sad.
It can take time to work through a parent's death.  Sometimes a long period of mourning. 
Everyone handles this in their own way.  We are all part of your support group.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

airboy

I'm sorry about the sad news.  I will keep your family in my prayers.

My wife and I have lost our parents.  It is always hard regardless of the circumstances.

Tpek

Really sorry to hear this. :(

Be strong buddy.

Toonces

Sorry to hear that, SirAndrewD.

Not sure what to say about the whole Facebook thing.  That seems like a hell of a way to break what is sure to be traumatizing news. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs