Evil Alexa

Started by besilarius, January 09, 2019, 07:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

I knew it. I will never get one of these virtual assistants. Until Skynet goes online, at least. Then I won't have a choice.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

My daughter bought one for my father over the holiday.  We had a handful of people over to his house.  The Alexa was in the next room. Even at distance, and in the middle of several robust conversations, Alexa could pick out commands given in a normal tone.  Better hearing than my wife... who somehow hears everything....  that is creepy.  :wow:
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

airboy

I got an Echo Dot about a year ago during the Amazon Christmas sale.  I use it for weather, sports scores, and sleep sounds.  It works quite well and was cheap.  I've never noticed it triggering uncalled for.  In fact, sometimes you have to yell at it to get it to wake up (like a teenager).  But we also don't have anyone in the house whose name is anything close to Alexia and you have to use that word to trigger any other command.  My wife uses it to play audiobooks when she is doing other stuff and it can play anything you have on Audible and any music purchases you may have made.

Given the price and the (so far) reliability, I've been pretty happy with it.  Most of these things can be done with a smart phone, but I don't have a smart phone.  Your phone is the real Skynet tracking and survaliance device.

Gusington

Except my phone isn't listening to my conversations and broadcasting what I do in the shower.

My in laws have an Alexa, and their youngest daughter is also Alexa.

Shenanigans abound every day with that combo.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

I got an Echo Dot for free with my doorbell camera just before Christmas. It sits in my man cave... far away from the shower...
I've only used it for time checks and weather so far as I don't have a Prime account so no music or books for it to read/play.

What really interests me about the device is what this guy is doing:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2105895/alexagoogle-voice-rule-bot-framework-ready-ive-lov/page/1
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2101595/saturday-morning-solo-wargaming-using-alexa-google/page/1

:o  :D  O0

JasonPratt

I can testify that Dad's Echo can and will activate randomly when it hears what sounds like a trigger. We're still not even sure what the trigger is! -- I'm unsure if Dad has ever used the thing on purpose. He has enough other electronic stuff at hand that the thing is completely redundant. (Bro got it for him last Thanksgivingish for his birthday.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

I can testify that whatever my Echo hears me doing or saying, it will become mighty bored really fast.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

What I would like to do is get one of each and let them call each other "Bitch". It would be just like being back with my 'Ex' and her sister.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.