RIP -- George H. W. Bush

Started by steve58, December 01, 2018, 01:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

Sad day.  :'(  He was an under-rated President who was also a decent man--so rare in politics today. He probably couldn't elected Mayor of any major city in the US today because of it. If he ever hated anyone, he took that to the grave with him.  :notworthy:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

SirAndrewD

RIP.  Probably one of the last Presidents I had a lot of respect for.  As was said, he wouldn't survive in today's political climate. 

Just one look at the outright vitriol and celebration going on in my social media feeds is enough for me to tune it out for a few days.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Steelgrave

I met him and wife Barbara at an event in Houston as he was kicking off his campaign for the Republican nomination against Ronald Reagan. Even though I already knew I was for Reagan, he came across as a decent, likable, respectful man. I was happy to twice vote for him for President afterwards. RIP Mr. President, I hope you and Barbara are together again.

Re: prior comments....  there seems to be no place for decency anywhere in today's political climate. The nastier you are, the more appealing you become to your base. It's a terrible turn of events and I don't think it will end well.....

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

My brother was a Capt. in the Sherriff's Dept. for Monroe County-- that's the Florida Keys. Pres. Bush used to go down there regularly to fish and my brother would be part of his Protective Detail. He said Bush would always take time to speak with all the local police, thank them for their service, and even remembered them when he returned over and over the years. A nice guy who made time for the 'little people'.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MikeGER

President Bush also was a strong supporter for the German unification and this from the beginning, and in troubled time of change, and against resistance from European nations.

President George Bush meets with West German Chancellor Helmut Kohl at Camp David on Feb. 24, 1990

It would not have been possible without his efforts.
This will not be forgotten !

RIP  Mr. President

airboy

A really nice man.  A wonderful foreign policy President.  He put his life on the line for the USA the day he turned 18 - and was called a "wimp" by his political enemies who never heard a shot fired in anger.

Jerry Ford was also a really nice guy who made some very hard decisions while in office.

Rest in Peace Mr. Bush and may God have mercy on your soul.

Gusington

^I clearly remember the 'wimp' accusations and will never forget that hypocrisy.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I actually quite liked President Bush.

But anyone who is willing to strap on a plane and launch off the deck of an aircraft carrier to drop bombs on the enemy in the middle of the Pacific Ocean...

:notworthy:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on December 02, 2018, 11:54:05 AM
^I clearly remember the 'wimp' accusations and will never forget that hypocrisy.

Yeah, when I think decorated combat pilot and head of the CIA, last thing I think of is a wimp.

It was his continual punishment for being in politics yet at the same time managing to still be a decent and reasonable person to those that disagreed with him.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd