The Legacy--any German speakers here?

Started by Greybriar, September 04, 2018, 12:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

Whenever I am looking for the description of a game, I usually check at MobyGames. Several years ago I chanced upon a German site (which was also available in English) called The Legacy that was also a very good source and, in some cases, contained more information than MobyGames.

I hadn't visited The Legacy for some time, so it was quite a shock when I clicked on its bookmark in my browser and was taken to an unfamiliar page that was in German without an option for the page to be displayed in English. I tried using the Bing Translator, but a lot was lost in the translation. So I am not sure if The Legacy is gone forever or will be back after it is updated.

Would someone who speaks German kindly read the webpage at The Legacy and let the rest of us know what is going on?
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

RyanE

A simple google translate and voila:

It's nice to see how important TheLegacy is to many people; Users, supporters, moderators, silent observers.
After our sad lines in the last days, we received many sympathetic messages that expressed regret, thought about the legacy of the legacy.
To counter the greatest fear in the run-up, the data does not go down in the cellar or into the brown bio-data-bin.
Two alternatives are currently debatable, transferring the data into a newly developed, modern environment or handing it over to third parties.
In order to prevent a possible handover to third parties, which is the biggest fear expressed to us, the data will not be handed over recklessly.
We use our selection of the applicant for a comprehensive catalog of requirements, which must correspond to this.
Examples include:
the ability & ability to operate a platform and keep it running for the coming years (hosting, administration, code maintenance, development, development capacity) ensuring that the entire data without restriction free of charge to the general public the careful and responsible handling of linked personal data, non-commercial use, further processing & dissemination of data
Nevertheless, this option is currently not up for debate.
Already in the early years of TheLegacy there was the need for further development of the immensely growing database.
However, the early outdated technical base led to their suspension, since the care effort was no longer justifiable.
At first unnoticed, we experimented with various options to ensure the operation of the developmentally "frozen" application for the future.
Technical and functional solutions have been the subject of controversial discussions at various TheLegacy meetings over the past 10 years.
The plan was for a smooth transition, the existing implementation, to a new system, including the continuation of the old deep links that make up TheLegacy's integration on the World Wide Web.
About a year ago we found a suitable technical substructure and have been developing it ever since. The factor time, not recognizing as a danger, since the EU-GDPR was not given the necessary attention, he made an uninterrupted switching negated.
We still strive to present the existing information, in a modern way, in the areas of use / application and technology. In addition, the legal requirements will be met and maintenance, further development and growth will be ensured for the coming decades.
So that this endeavor is not carried off over a period of time X, without being able to record appreciable progress, we will set a deadline and make an assessment of the target actual state when it is reached. The result of unrealizability, we will look for a suitable candidate for a data transfer.
We are aware of the responsibility for the collectively collected treasure, it will never be lost.
mishra & cflag

Greybriar

Quote from: RyanE on September 04, 2018, 01:12:23 PM
A simple google translate....

I guess you missed that part of my post where I wrote that I had tried that. Let me guess; you don't speak German either but you just wanted to help. Am I right? ;)
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

RyanE

I saw you used Bing translate.  And it didn't work.  I tried Google translate and it seemed to work.  I can understand it.  And no I don't speak German, but I speak English well enough to read that.

btw, you're welcome.

RyanE

If you need an interpretation, and not a translation...

They have a large and getting larger database of information.  It has outgrown a "legacy" architecture.  They have been looking for a more modern architecture with no luck.  They have been trying to migrate to web-based architecture for over ten years, with no luck.

GDPR came along faster than expected so they have shut down the system.  They are continuing to work on it and hope to have something.  As of May, 2018, they have worked on it for a year with almost no progress.  There is no set date for completion.  They understand they have a wealth of information and will not shirk their responsibilities in keeping it safe.

Greybriar

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Greybriar on September 04, 2018, 05:00:08 PM

I guess you missed that part of my post where I wrote that I had tried that. Let me guess; you don't speak German either but you just wanted to help. Am I right? ;)

Who the fuck uses BING? Google translate does a creditable job. I just spent two weeks translating a German divisional history using Google. Google does a very good job - definitely not perfect, and it is fiddly, meaning you have to parse things just so, but it will get the general gist 90 or 95% of the time.

Gusington

Dorosh getting passionate about Bing. Who knew?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

RyanE

I was actually thinking the same thing about Bing, but with a little less profanity.  I actually had to re-read the OP to make sure I saw it right.  I guess if you are searching for something on MySpace, it can work.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Such passion here! Jeez. For the future sanity of all in this thread, please don't view it in Bing.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on September 04, 2018, 07:36:28 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on September 04, 2018, 05:00:08 PM

Who the fuck uses BING? Google translate does a creditable job. I just spent two weeks translating a German divisional history using Google. Google does a very good job - definitely not perfect, and it is fiddly, meaning you have to parse things just so, but it will get the general gist 90 or 95% of the time.
Who the fuck asked you? I wanted a German speaker to translate, not a damned Google translation.

RyanE

I didn't have any real problems reading it in the google translate.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

Quote from: RyanE on September 06, 2018, 07:31:34 PM
I didn't have any real problems reading it in the google translate.
lol - "the google"  :2funny:

There's a lot of fucks being given around here.....Need I remind you lot

Alba gu' brath