What were the earliest video games you played?

Started by Greybriar, August 18, 2018, 12:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Quote from: Gusington on August 21, 2018, 09:23:38 AM
I played that very first Silent Service on my C64.

Yep...one of my first as well. Played it all the time until Red Storm Rising game out. That took over scratching my submarine itch.

Any of you guys have an "Odyssey" game system? It came out in the late 70's/early 80's before the Atari/intellivision/coleco consoles. It was always hooked up to the TV in the basement and there were really only two games to play on it: "combat!" And "Wizards of Wor"
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

I played Red Storm Rising on my C64 too. Slash, IIRC Silent Service was set in the Pacific.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tuna

Silent Hunter II was Pacific I think. Not sure about Silent Service.  Aces of the Deep rocked!

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Sir Slash

Maybe that's the one I played then, I remember it was set in the Pacific because it had Japanese Kongo Class BB's. And night graphics.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Father Ted

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mikeck on August 21, 2018, 10:47:42 AM

Yep...one of my first as well. Played it all the time until Red Storm Rising game out. That took over scratching my submarine itch.

Any of you guys have an "Odyssey" game system? It came out in the late 70's/early 80's before the Atari/intellivision/coleco consoles. It was always hooked up to the TV in the basement and there were really only two games to play on it: "combat!" And "Wizards of Wor"

My family had the older Odyssey 3000.  I remember you had to select your game from a dial on the console, and play with two attached paddles.  I only really remember Pong.

We upgraded to the Atari 2600 in early '80 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Staggerwing

Quote from: Tuna on August 21, 2018, 01:21:44 PM
Silent Hunter II was Pacific I think. Not sure about Silent Service.  Aces of the Deep rocked!

The first Silent Hunter was set in the PT and you played USN, with a campaign disk released soon after. Graphics were very good for their time.

Silent Hunter II and III were AT and you played KM. IIRC, IV went back to the Pacific and then V to the Atlantic.

And, yes, AotD was amazing. The Speech control option drove me crazy though.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Silent Service = MicroProse. I never played the Silent Hunter series.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

My mom was the electronics manager of a toy store.  We had the 2600 Christmas of '78.  Loads of cartridges followed for the next few Christmases.  Then the Colecovision came out and we got that, with the Atari 2600 adapter.  The first two PC games I played, even for a little while (I never had a PC until after the Millenium), were Mail Order Monsters and a game called Legion.  It was Greek city states with chit counters representing your military.  It had a rudimentary economic system, buying resources each turn you would need to keep your population happy, build units, and influence other rulers.  It was basically a race to Heavy Cavalry.  until your population revolted and crashed your economy.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

DennisS

Thanks to the link to the the best old games site, I can tell you the two games I downloaded yesterday, and the two today, and the next two for tomorrow.

Yesterday was Red Storm Rising, and the original Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon.

Today is Conquered Kingdoms, and Battles of Destiny.

Tomorrow will be Warlords, and Microprose's M-1 Tank Platoon.

This will take me weeks to download all these old, wonderful games.

CptHowdy

Quote from: DennisS on August 21, 2018, 08:08:40 PM
Thanks to the link to the the best old games site, I can tell you the two games I downloaded yesterday, and the two today, and the next two for tomorrow.

weeks? you breaking out the 2400 baud modem as well?

DennisS

Quote from: CptHowdy on August 21, 2018, 08:36:29 PM
Quote from: DennisS on August 21, 2018, 08:08:40 PM

weeks? you breaking out the 2400 baud modem as well?

My first modem was just 300 baud. My first computer was a Texas Instruments (TI99-4A). I once spent $98 to upgrade my PC from 640k all the way to one megabyte. I still remember how to re-jigger my config.sys and autoexec.bat to free up as much upper memory as I could. Specifically, Falcon 3.0 and 4.0 required 603K free. I became quite the local expert on UMM (upper memory management)

As far as weeks to download games...hell yes. Only allowed two downloads per day...and there are at LEAST 50 games I want. Again.

bbmike

Has anyone mentioned notching the C64 disks to use the other side yet?  :-"
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak