Mattis: China Trying to Intimidate Neighbors in S. China Sea

Started by ArizonaTank, June 07, 2018, 09:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

US Sec Def calling out Chinese "coercion and intimidation."  History may not repeat but there is definitely a rhyme.  1920s -> 2020s...  Replace Japan with China.

https://www.voanews.com/a/mattis-china-intimidate-coerce-neighbors-south-china-sea/4420455.html
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Not quite sure where else to place this, so:

QuoteI was 15 minutes late for church this morning. Pity, I thought, I hadn't been to that church for a couple months, and was afraid I'd miss the music. No matter: it turned out that the heads of the world's largest countries (aside from the US) were using the hotel in the basement of which the church usually meets, as part of their summit meeting here to plan the post-American world.

Either way you look at it, my timing was a little off.

(While not the official State-run church for Christians, this one happened to be legal, though only allowed for foreigners with passports. So my friend wasn't voiding an underground church's security.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Anyway, that's referring to the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, "The SCO was launched in 2001 to combat radical Islam and other security concerns in China, Russia and across Central Asia. It added two new members, India and Pakistan, last year and Iran has been knocking at the door. Tehran is currently an observer rather than a full member of a bloc that also includes four ex-Soviet Central Asian republics."

(That's from a brief Reuters article today. I'll try to redirect but it may be behind a paywall: https://webcenters.netscape.compuserve.com/news/story/0002/20180610/KCN1J6047_3 )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

Shanghai Cooperation Organization reminds me of Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on June 10, 2018, 10:21:26 AM
Shanghai Cooperation Organization reminds me of Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.

I suppose if they want to co-operate together without hideous invasions of each other, fine, more power to them! WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG FROM ALL (sorry, most of) THE WORLD'S CURRENT AND FORMER HARDLINE COMMUNIST REGIMES GETTING TOGETHER TO WORK WITH INDIA AND THE WORLD'S CHIEF EXPORTER OF TERRORISM?!

:hide:

ArizonaTank

I suspect there will be an ongoing and depressing drumbeat of China stories over the next dozen years. Territorial disputes...aggressive flybys...strong-arming neighbors with trade...

and cyber-theft of US military secrets...like this:

http://fortune.com/2018/06/10/chinese-hackers-steal-sensitive-data-us-military/
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.