Main Menu

Dogs

Started by airboy, January 01, 2018, 01:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

On New Years Day it is nice to think about the blessings we have in addition to the blessings we hope for in the New Year.

I'm blessed with Dogs.

Dogs are wonderful creatures.  They love you all of the time and their tails demonstrate their affection.  They like to walk which gives us a good excuse to go outside, get some exercise, and show our furry friends a good time. 

They guard our homes (sometimes excessively so against cats and squirrels), but they often warn us of potential real threats (other people, fire, and cats).

We have two very elderly dogs - ages 14 and probably 17.  They don't have the energy they used to.  One does not have any hearing, is almost blind and is incontinent.  But they are still delighted to see us every morning.

Wrigley is the schnauzer mongrel.  Zippo is the cavalier/pomeranian mongrel.  Both were rescue dogs. 

Zippo was a difficult to place dog because he was an adult who had been abused (someone hurt one of his eyes and threw acid on him or set his leg on fire).  Zippo bit everyone in the shelter.  But once Zippo trusted us he has been a wonderful dog.  Only took him a couple of days to trust me and less than a day to trust my wife.  Never was able to trust Zippo around children which is sad.

Greybriar

We have one dog, a 17-year-old Shih-Tzu, who is both blind and deaf. But she has lived here since she was weaned, so she gets around fairly well.

Prior to losing her eyesight and hearing, she was just as you described dogs being. Despite her advanced age and declining health, she means a lot to us.

Thanks for posting. O0
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Martok

Dogs are indeed something to be grateful for.  It's good to be reminded of that.  Thanks airboy
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

besilarius

Totally agree.  One of the great boons of life is a devoted dog.

If I could only be half the person they think I am.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

Thumbs up to all the above.  O0

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Wife is crazy for Shetland Sheep dogs. She had one in her formative years that she still talks about today.

In 2014, in addition to her going full-time student, quitting full-time work and some other things, she begins working with a Sheltie rescue program.

Fostering dogs, as we have discovered, is not easy - moreso for the fact that we seem to adopt the ones we are asked to watch. So now we've got 4 Shelties running about and it's okay.  The real issue seems to be how many older dogs become abandoned or released to the system. All the ones we've gotten are easily in the 10 year old and up range.

Fantastic animals.  They really make a place feel like a home, if that makes sense.

Gusington

^It does to me...I never had dogs growing up but now I can't imagine not having any.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

I have always appreciated my dog.  My ex got him for me just before she left me.  He has been a constant and boon companion.  Attentive to all my quirks and what nots.  He'll be ten this April Fools day.  He's still in great shape.  He waits for me outside while I am at work and insists we throw the ball when I get home.  I have had dogs my whole life, but, this one is the best by far.  God bless our furry four foots!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

airboy

Quote from: besilarius on January 01, 2018, 02:30:36 PM
Totally agree.  One of the great boons of life is a devoted dog.

If I could only be half the person they think I am.

If your dog thinks you are wonderful, why seek a second opinion?

Ubercat

May those who abandon the beasts who trust them be abandoned themselves in turn.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Sir Slash

Great looking dogs Airboy. I bet they are a lot of fun and if they could talk, would thank you and your wife all day long for giving them the home and love they have. The wife and I just spent our Saturday night out together shopping for a dog sweater for her daughter's Pit and Ridgeback mix who doesn't like the cold but is too big to come inside much. I felt kind of stupid doing it but the thought of the thing outside in the cool weather really bugged me so we came to a joint agreement on style and color that, "Harley" would look good in and picked it up anyway. Later, she licked the back of my hand in appreciation, the dog not my wife.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jamus34

He's a pain in the ass and he has no shame...

But I love the little guy all the same.
Insert witty comment here.

bayonetbrant

Dexter, wondering why I'm 3 minutes late feeding him (he takes after the cat that way)

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

airboy

Quote from: mirth on January 14, 2018, 09:15:57 AM

That was great.  Cannot wait to show it to my wife.