Net Neutrality Round 2

Started by airboy, November 21, 2017, 11:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

I thought he might be just a Bill.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on November 30, 2017, 09:20:03 AM
Quote from: bbmike on November 30, 2017, 09:18:16 AM
(keep in mind I live in Capitol Hill!)

You live in Capitol Hill? Cool!

Are you a Hobbit or Morlock?

Which one of those is trying to escape Capitol Hill? That's the one I am.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

joram

So basically what you are saying is that by removing neutrality rules we should see more investment in broadband. So more people will have access to a shitttier product, yay!

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on November 30, 2017, 09:18:16 AM
^FIOS just came into our area (keep in mind I live in Capitol Hill!). I'm currently considering switching over from Comcast.

You have Comcast?    :-\

I'm sorry.

OJsDad

Amazon and Google are already starting to removed products/content from each others stores/devices. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

That was happening before anyone was discussing net neutrality. For instance, you could never use the Google Play Store on Amazon Fire/Kindle devices without side loading the software

What will be really interesting is whether or not Google Fiber starts to throttle back Amazon Prime video, or redirect Amazon shoppers from the Amazon home page to some Google Affiliated shopping site instead. Will Google Fiber lose customers if they do that? Hell yes. But you can't sue them for it if net neutrality goes away.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yeah.  I just bought an Amazon Fire TV thingy a few weeks ago and yesterday I got a pop up from the YouTube app saying as of Jan 1st, it'd no longer function on my Amazon device.  Then it spammed me with a web link for all the wonderful Google devices that would allow me to watch YT. 

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 06, 2017, 08:48:40 AM
What will be really interesting is whether or not Google Fiber starts to throttle back Amazon Prime video, or redirect Amazon shoppers from the Amazon home page to some Google Affiliated shopping site instead.

Yep. This is the real issue and the real threat to an open internet.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Tuna

I remember how choppy Netflix was, when they first started streaming and Comcast was throttling them!!.. Oh they'll charge Netflix for more bandwidth.. guess who Netflix will pass the cost onto.

Frigging monopoly sucks.. Internet is a necessity now, people need it to WFH, for school.. for day to day business. They should split up these media Giants.. .. ISP or Media, choose, can't be the same company!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

OJsDad

Don't worry, state AG's are lining up to sue and stop this. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

mirth

airboy

Under the Obama rules, phone companies were banned from giving free access to facebook and twitter on their phone plans because it violated "net neutrality."

I doubt if the deregulation will have the consequences that many of you fear.  A lot of the comments on the thread are about internet access prices, which are irrelevant to both the Obama regs and the proposed regs.  Internet competition in areas that are not highly urbanized will be through broadcast, satellite, or land line phone connections.  The first mover advantage when you lay fiber-optic cable is huge.

airboy

The WSJ had a front page story this week on how many of the comments to the FTC were faked.  This occurred for both pro and con positions.  They did a random sample of more than 2,000 comments and found a significant portion were faked.  Unfortunately, the comment period for a lot of federal regs that become viral have become unreliable.