NAVAL ACTION calling for modern BB experts.

Started by Destraex, October 03, 2017, 05:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedArgo

If you are only looking for combat, they are working on Naval Action Legends which will be an arena style (like World of Tanks) combat only game.  No crafting or open world, but grindy going up the ship size tree, again like WoT.  It was open for a while on Steam, but it is now closed while they revamp it.  Not sure when it will return.

solops

Quote from: DennisS on October 04, 2017, 06:56:05 PM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 04, 2017, 06:46:26 PM
So they are thinking of doing something that "Rule the Waves" has already done better? Good luck with that.

Agreed. The shipbuilding alone makes Rule the Waves a very, very special game.

+1
Got RTW out and played last night. Every time I play, I wonder "How the hell did I forget about this game?" I guess I keep getting distracted by all of the shiny lights in other, usually inferior, games.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Rayfer

Quote from: solops on June 05, 2018, 02:09:07 PM
Quote from: DennisS on October 04, 2017, 06:56:05 PM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 04, 2017, 06:46:26 PM
So they are thinking of doing something that "Rule the Waves" has already done better? Good luck with that.

Agreed. The shipbuilding alone makes Rule the Waves a very, very special game.

+1
Got RTW out and played last night. Every time I play, I wonder "How the hell did I forget about this game?" I guess I keep getting distracted by all of the shiny lights in other, usually inferior, games.

Does RTW have a tutorial or is it pretty much read the rule book and figure it out as you go? I've watched some AAR videos on YouTube and the game looks interesting.

mikeck

New patch out incorporating the new Open World UI as well as a bunch of new stuff. Couldn't find a link to the notes
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Here are the notes. Huge patch. UI looks great. Also some additional DLC for sale

MAIN Feature : Open world UI updated to a new version.
Open world UI will update to a more traditional MMO window based system.
Port UI remains on the old version. We decided to deploy OW UI first to help to uncover missed bugs and problems faster. Also your initial feedback on the visuals will allow us to deliver better port UI based on your comments. Apologies for the inconvinience that might be caused by the 2 versions of UI
Expect bugs and glitches.
Name change added to Prolific Forger DLC
Separate item will appear in your redeemables
You will be able to change name once in every 30 days
Admiralty connection added as DLC
Will permanently increase dock space, warehouse slots and economy buildings.
Two imported ships will be added as DLC (time of appearance subject to Valve's approval)
Le Requin
Hercules
Ability to trade in the open world added to game.
Trade is possible with your nation
Trade is possible in the radius of attack
If one of the parties to a trade exits this radius trade will stop
Trade is only possible from hold of the ship
Patrol battle exit (escape) option added (to remove trolling and griefing)
After a certain time exit will be possible if there are no enemy players in your radius
Damage stops the ability to exit (just like the normal exit timer)
Being outside of the circle stops ability to exit
Experimental feature: Open world attack button now has a coold down (60 seconds).
This was done to remove constant re-click to get better positioning
You have to be careful how and when you attack.
Exams now show the following information in pop ups for motivational purposes
Best time and name of the player
Your time
Average time for all players
Rules of Engagement (ROE) changes
For reinforcement zones
Battle is always open for the nation of the reinforcement zone
Battle closes in 10 minutes for all other nations (not owners of the reinforcement zones)
For Capital waters
Nation of the capital water cannot be attacked as before
All other nations can be attacked (removing unnecessary protection for enemies). This means that other nations will not be protected by your capital waters.
Battles of other nations in capital waters will be open to all
Smuggler flag removed
Trader ships now have automatic smuggler flag and will be able to enter any port in the Caribbean
Player in the combat ship wont be able to enter enemy ports
You will now be able to switch ships in enemy ports if you have an outposts and docked ships there (to remove weird lockouts caused by legacy rules
Military ships can now sail out of enemy ports to remove lockouts if your port was captured or changed state from open to all.
Exit from enemy and contested ports gives you a 30 min port battle lockdown
Free for all ports do not give the port battle timer.
Battle sails now give bonuses to
Ship turning
Yard turning
Sail resistance
Fire changes
Fire now affects structure and planking differently. Planking will burn faster than structure. This is done to bring back more epic explosions as fast fires burn the structure too fast (ship sinks faster than it can explode).
Structural leaks and penetrating leaks water intake speed dependence increased. Changes are as follows
50% speed – standard leaks (current)
100% speed – leakage is increased 2x
0 speed – leakage is reduced 2x
Control perk changes
Perk control can be switched off in the beginning of the battle, if you do not want to use it.
There will be a button for the first 5 mins that will let you decide if you want to control on or not.
Tuning
All blueprints were removed from the admiralty and added to player shipyards for simplification (some of them of course will require permits to build)
NPC can rarely sail a 4/5 or 5/5 vessel
Capturable ports now give better chance to build a exceptional vessel.
Fixed bugs:
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on June 22, 2018, 08:38:06 AM
Here are the notes. Huge patch. UI looks great. Also some additional DLC for sale

MAIN Feature : Open world UI updated to a new version.
Open world UI will update to a more traditional MMO window based system.
Port UI remains on the old version. We decided to deploy OW UI first to help to uncover missed bugs and problems faster. Also your initial feedback on the visuals will allow us to deliver better port UI based on your comments. Apologies for the inconvinience that might be caused by the 2 versions of UI
Expect bugs and glitches.
Name change added to Prolific Forger DLC
Separate item will appear in your redeemables
You will be able to change name once in every 30 days
Admiralty connection added as DLC
Will permanently increase dock space, warehouse slots and economy buildings.
Two imported ships will be added as DLC (time of appearance subject to Valve's approval)
Le Requin
Hercules
Ability to trade in the open world added to game.
Trade is possible with your nation
Trade is possible in the radius of attack
If one of the parties to a trade exits this radius trade will stop
Trade is only possible from hold of the ship
Patrol battle exit (escape) option added (to remove trolling and griefing)
After a certain time exit will be possible if there are no enemy players in your radius
Damage stops the ability to exit (just like the normal exit timer)
Being outside of the circle stops ability to exit
Experimental feature: Open world attack button now has a coold down (60 seconds).
This was done to remove constant re-click to get better positioning
You have to be careful how and when you attack.
Exams now show the following information in pop ups for motivational purposes
Best time and name of the player
Your time
Average time for all players
Rules of Engagement (ROE) changes
For reinforcement zones
Battle is always open for the nation of the reinforcement zone
Battle closes in 10 minutes for all other nations (not owners of the reinforcement zones)
For Capital waters
Nation of the capital water cannot be attacked as before
All other nations can be attacked (removing unnecessary protection for enemies). This means that other nations will not be protected by your capital waters.
Battles of other nations in capital waters will be open to all
Smuggler flag removed
Trader ships now have automatic smuggler flag and will be able to enter any port in the Caribbean
Player in the combat ship wont be able to enter enemy ports
You will now be able to switch ships in enemy ports if you have an outposts and docked ships there (to remove weird lockouts caused by legacy rules
Military ships can now sail out of enemy ports to remove lockouts if your port was captured or changed state from open to all.
Exit from enemy and contested ports gives you a 30 min port battle lockdown
Free for all ports do not give the port battle timer.
Battle sails now give bonuses to
Ship turning
Yard turning
Sail resistance
Fire changes
Fire now affects structure and planking differently. Planking will burn faster than structure. This is done to bring back more epic explosions as fast fires burn the structure too fast (ship sinks faster than it can explode).
Structural leaks and penetrating leaks water intake speed dependence increased. Changes are as follows
50% speed – standard leaks (current)
100% speed – leakage is increased 2x
0 speed – leakage is reduced 2x
Control perk changes
Perk control can be switched off in the beginning of the battle, if you do not want to use it.
There will be a button for the first 5 mins that will let you decide if you want to control on or not.
Tuning
All blueprints were removed from the admiralty and added to player shipyards for simplification (some of them of course will require permits to build)
NPC can rarely sail a 4/5 or 5/5 vessel
Capturable ports now give better chance to build a exceptional vessel.
Fixed bugs:

Very nice...I'll give it all another go in a few days!

mikeck

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on June 22, 2018, 10:57:22 AM
You'll do it now mister!

Yes!  Sir!  Reloading Naval action right now!

And i bought the Hercules DLC (nice ship...I'll be fitting 10 18pders I guess for those lower ports):

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 22, 2018, 01:04:53 PM
Quote from: mikeck on June 22, 2018, 10:57:22 AM
You'll do it now mister!

Yes!  Sir!  Reloading Naval action right now!

And i bought the Hercules DLC (nice ship...I'll be fitting 10 18pders I guess for those lower ports):

Or maybe just 9pdrs since they seem to be underwater a lot:

SirAndrewD

Might be time to try this one out again. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

MengJiao

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 22, 2018, 08:10:44 PM
Might be time to try this one out again.

Well, it has crashed twice so far tonight, but other than that things seem to have improved some.  I visit it occasionally and the actual sea fights are very good.

Destraex

co-incidentally I tried this again last night with a mate and the UI and map look great although are not finished still from the linux interface look of a lot of things still.
Enjoyed the game immensly as I had not played for a while. Considering the ship DLC just so that I do not have to grind so much.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

mikeck

I haven't had any crashes but then again, I've never had any with NA really. The new ship DLC...hmm. Neither ship is spectacular but if your starting from scratch, both beat rolling around in a cutter or privateer.
The helpful thing is that the ships respwan daily in your "redeemable" list so that even if you lose one, you get it back the next day. Also helps cash flow as everyday, you can make 45k selling the two ships if you want.

The battles are second to none...literally. There is no game, no has there been, that come close to NA in the battles themselves. Smoke, flame, cannons that look like they are shooting 18lbs if cast iron and not a puff of steam, etc. The sailing model is great. So is a great game if that's what you want to do.

What it's missing is background...the NA equivalent of the Total War strategic layer. It just doesn't feel like I am a British Captain at war with France And Spain.  French ships sail freely into British ports. More annoyingly, in PvE, AI fleets of enemy ships sail right by me. I get PvE...but I would prefer if Humans couldn't attack me BUT the AI would! I would feel like I'm accomplishing something if I had to run from a Spanish 3rd rate led force in my Essex. I would have to keep my eye on the horizon and occasionally, get into a fight that I know off the bat, I need to get out of. There is just no reason for me to do anything.

Imagine if in Total War, you had an army and all you did was wonder around a map picking enemy armies to attack. No strategy, no reason to do it, no building. You CAN do different things in NA but i don't feel like I need to.
Money is easy to come by as are ships. So why craft?

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on June 23, 2018, 12:07:00 PM
I haven't had any crashes but then again, I've never had any with NA really. The new ship DLC...hmm. Neither ship is spectacular but if your starting from scratch, both beat rolling around in a cutter or privateer.
The helpful thing is that the ships respwan daily in your "redeemable" list so that even if you lose one, you get it back the next day. Also helps cash flow as everyday, you can make 45k selling the two ships if you want.

The battles are second to none...literally. There is no game, no has there been, that come close to NA in the battles themselves. Smoke, flame, cannons that look like they are shooting 18lbs if cast iron and not a puff of steam, etc. The sailing model is great. So is a great game if that's what you want to do.

What it's missing is background...the NA equivalent of the Total War strategic layer. It just doesn't feel like I am a British Captain at war with France And Spain.  French ships sail freely into British ports. More annoyingly, in PvE, AI fleets of enemy ships sail right by me. I get PvE...but I would prefer if Humans couldn't attack me BUT the AI would! I would feel like I'm accomplishing something if I had to run from a Spanish 3rd rate led force in my Essex. I would have to keep my eye on the horizon and occasionally, get into a fight that I know off the bat, I need to get out of. There is just no reason for me to do anything.

Imagine if in Total War, you had an army and all you did was wonder around a map picking enemy armies to attack. No strategy, no reason to do it, no building. You CAN do different things in NA but i don't feel like I need to.
Money is easy to come by as are ships. So why craft?

I think they really tried to stuff too many games into one graphic matrix...you can see why since the graphics and the combat are pretty good...but really ships of the line were working in a whole different range of possibilities than any kind of pirates.  The overlaps would have been interesting to simulate, but that would have taken a few moments of sophistication here and there...as it is, a separation of the spheres of national fleets and piracy would have been a good idea.  In the pirate world, sneakiness and boarding would be the main methods for victory.   In the world of national fleets signals and gunnery would be how to win.  I myself wish they had gotten piracy working before doing anything else....so that would be an emphasis on raids and survival over building monster fleets.  But really, with anything approaching "realism" ....you have to take what you can get.

mikeck

I had advocated years ago that a player could "accept a commission" in the navy. The player would be given (not for good) a small sloop as a commander but as rank increased, the admirably would put you in charge of bigger ships. As a commodore, you would be in command of s small force. Maybe a 3rd rate and 2 frigates, etc. The Admiralty would assign you missions like "Patrol here"'or "locate an enemy frigate harassing shipping here", "suppress pirates", etc.

You would receive a monthly salary and would get a percentage of any prizes or contraband captured. If you "retire" at a high enough rank or with enough time in, you can buy one of the ships you captained at a discount. THAT would make me feel like I was part of something.

Alternatively, or when you retire, you can buy your own ship and work as a
Privateer. Get a letter of marque and such. With enough money, you can commission ships to be made for you with a percentage of your prize money won on it going to the builder. THAT would give me a reason to craft ships.

You could be a trader and receive calls for certain goods (which you can do now) but with a more realistic economy.

Just seems to lack immersion for me when I can buy a 2nd rate Ship of the Line and go do whatever I want. If you want to sail a ship of the line, stay in the Navy, do well, and get assigned to one.