Barthheart

Not just Hollywood out of ideas....

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/37561/-das-boot-remake-in-the-works

This needs to NOT be made at all!  >:(

HT to BGG

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

Nefaro

I'd be most concerned with someone attempting to revise it for modern crowds, or adding some stupid plot to it.

BanzaiCat

It's not about art, expression, or giving people a sense of the horrors of war anymore. It's about $$$$$$.

Since this is a German production, hopefully they'll shy away from putting Ben Affleck or other losers into this, and keep romance sub-plots out. If an American studio had its hands on this, though, look for it to suck even harder than Pearl Harbor wrapped in Gigli.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

I don't care if they get Uwe Boll to direct it. Wait - they probably will.  :buck2:

besilarius

If Hollywood wants to remake old hits, why not an american submarine movie?
Run Silent, Run Deep was good, and a hit.
Course, the author, Ned Beach, hated the changes Hollywood made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R-XrouvPbk
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

danjay

Yuk!
Next they are going to remake "The Cruel Sea" with Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise ..... the horror!
Dan

Silent Disapproval Robot

I hope it's a wacky comedy with an all female cast.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 26, 2015, 08:26:17 PM
I hope it's a wacky comedy with an all female cast.

But ONLY if they have an ethnically diverse crew.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MikeGER

...what we witness are the last convulsion of the 'watching really great movies in the multiplex cinema'-epoch.
(its like watching the last 'silent movies' in the late 20ies , before technology moved on ) 

the Hollywood financiers want cash cows and minimized risks in a world of other growing entertainment opportunities for the (dumb) masses.
(especially games, and here especially those played on consoles... i have to admit, that after playing Witcher3 on a 2days-in-possession GTX 970 i would not spend time or money or burden to visit a multiplex just to see a half-assed probably -directed destroyed by U.Boll- Witcher3 movie... well, if Peter Jackson jumps on Witcher franchise with HDR-style and especially that budget, i reconsider).

Movies also get replaced by high quality series, and those get streamed on demand by former cable provider directly over the net. and people will tend to more and more watch at home on their growing in size big screen or a projector (or some future 'oculus' item) alone or with a couple of well-assorted friends ... and not with a whole shitload of loud assholes in a theater crowd, where the extra tall guy in the seat before always blocking the view and the bully guy in the seat behind is kicking in your back out of excitement or just his brattishness, and always one neighbour in your row constantly crunching nachos soaked with a dip, that stinks like a rotten corpse, a goo that could have been used as a replacement for trench gas in WK1 if Germany had the decayed Jalapeño handy...

so we will only have remain the annual 'teen-movie' like  "Dude, Where's My Car?"-flicks, the teen-horror, and teen horror-mocking movies (like Screen derivatives), the Comic-book adaptions (...it will all end with a terrible Marvel vs DC universe  shoot-out flick, like Alien vs Predator;-) ) , and the remakes and followups of franchise that had worked -at least once- in the past.

yesterday i saw "A Fistful of Dollars" from 1964, aired as a homage to Clint Eastwood  ... well, that was a movie! 

Nefaro

Con

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 26, 2015, 11:02:35 PM
Can Kellie's Heroines be far off?
Where Chihuahuas Dare will be made first

TacticalWargames

If the Germans are making it I'm fine with that..they can do good war films..look at Downfall and the old Stalingrad movie. Now if it was Hollywood I'd despair.