The Warthog LIVES!!!

Started by GDS_Starfury, January 18, 2015, 07:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: republic on January 19, 2015, 12:01:11 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 18, 2015, 09:36:34 PM
The Air Force may not need the A-10.

The Army does.

My thoughts exactly.  I wonder what the response would be to transfer the planes, and give the pilots, support personnel the option to move to the Army at the equivalent rank with some sort of 'transfer bonus'...

The AF would go nuts over such a proposal. Lot of bad blood between the Army and Air Force over the control of assets-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_West_Agreement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson-McConnell_agreement_of_1966
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: mirth on January 19, 2015, 11:48:08 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 18, 2015, 07:33:18 PM
thats simple.  kill off the Marine version.

So kill off the one version that might be able to effectively take on the CAS mission. Yeah that outta work :P

Its been the biggest problem and has the same gun as the rest with limited ammo.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 19, 2015, 12:22:28 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 19, 2015, 11:48:08 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 18, 2015, 07:33:18 PM
thats simple.  kill off the Marine version.

So kill off the one version that might be able to effectively take on the CAS mission. Yeah that outta work :P

Its been the biggest problem and has the same gun as the rest with limited ammo.

The Marine version is meant to replace the Harrier not the Warthog. It's been the biggest problem becuase of the STVOL requirements which you can't very well ask the Marines to give up, "No, you don't really need fixed wing CAS that can operate from your assault ships"
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

GDS_Starfury

Marine Hornet squadrons are doing just fine.  I also dont see the chance of Marines assaulting acshore without a few carrier groups backing them up.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 19, 2015, 03:59:09 PM
Marine Hornet squadrons are doing just fine.  I also dont see the chance of Marines assaulting acshore without a few carrier groups backing them up.

Marine Hornet squadrons have their own problems to deal with:

http://breakingdefense.com/2011/08/marines-pushing-f-18s-to-the-limit-when-will-they-begin-to-fail/

GDS_Starfury

Simple solution, convert Marine air to Super Hornets as the Navy gets its 35s.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 19, 2015, 05:21:39 PM
Simple solution, convert Marine air to Super Hornets as the Navy gets its 35s.

FIne by me.  Keep the AV-8Bs for STVOL ops, tell any potential foreign buyers to do the same and finally stick s fork in the 35.

OH AND bring back the Tomcat for Fleet Air defense, The F-35 is going to kinda suck at that too.

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 19, 2015, 05:21:39 PM
Simple solution

Spend money wisely!

Easier said than done, I'm afraid.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

jejo68

the only problem with the A10 is that our army doesnt have them  :'(

LongBlade

Who couldn't love a warplane that causes the enemy to flee like roaches?

QuoteWith a roaring engine, 30-mm. cannon and nose painted like a toothsome, snarling beast, the A-10 Thunderbolt sends ISIS fighters scattering like cockroaches on the Iraqi desert plains, but the legendary fighter plane pilots call the "Warthog" may be fighting for its own life.

The venerable plane, first built for destroying Soviet tanks, has been on the chopping block since the sequester of 2011 mandated steep cuts in the Pentagon budget. Although the planes haven't been built in more than 30 years, the Defense Department believes it can save maintenance costs by phasing them out. Air Force brass believes newer, faster aircraft like the F-16, F-15E, and, eventually, Lockheed Martin's F-35 fighter can do a better job of the Warthog's mission of providing close air support to soldiers on the ground. But supporters say Islamic State fighters are finding out the hard way what they have said all along.

"The aircraft sparked panic in the ranks of ISIS after bombing its elements and flying in spaces close to the ground," Iraqi News reported last week after a sortie took out several terrorists in ISIS-controlled territory near Mosul. "Elements of the terrorist organization targeted the aircraft with 4 Strela missiles, but that did not cause it any damage, prompting the remaining elements of the organization to leave the bodies of their dead and carry the wounded to escape ..."

source: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/21/legendary-10-warthog-sends-isis-fleeing-even-as-it-faces-pentagon-cuts/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

jejo68

the day they get another plane that can do this is the day you can retire the A10

GDS_Starfury

Im pretty competent with industrial design and Ive sketched scores of A-10 type planes over the years.  it cant be beat.  the A-10 is the American distilled Bauhaus version of form follows function.

Centurion40

Quote from: republic on January 19, 2015, 12:01:11 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 18, 2015, 09:36:34 PM
The Air Force may not need the A-10.

The Army does.

My thoughts exactly.  I wonder what the response would be to transfer the planes, and give the pilots, support personnel the option to move to the Army at the equivalent rank with some sort of 'transfer bonus'...

Won't happen, but I agree that this should be the way to go.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Gusington

There have to multiple good reasons the A 10 is still with us 4 years after it was first put 'on the chopping block.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

It's been on the chopping block a lot longer than 4 years. The AF has never really wanted it.