Wings Remastered Edition: On Steam today

Started by FrontierCybrarian, October 17, 2014, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrontierCybrarian

Wings Remastered Edition on Steam released today at $12.74.

I played for a few minutes and it looks good but quite simple. Never played the Amiga version but the before and after scenes do show a great improvement. I wasn't pleased with the keyboard control for taking the plane forward and up (maybe it's just me). Keyboard bindings can be changed and there is joystick support.

Those into nostalgia games will probably enjoy this.
Task without Vision is Drudgery
Vision without Task is Dreaming
But Task with Vision is Destiny.

The Church News, January 4, 1958

Staggerwing

Nice to know that I have to wait for something I pledged to on kickstarter while others get to nab it now.  :(

EDIT:  N/M. I just found an announcement on the Wings Kickstarter page saying how to get mine. It's under 'activities'.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

I backed this too. Stagger you should have got an email on 10/10 that had a download link.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I grabbed it at $12.49 or whatever it is right now on Steam.

Never played the original, but it was enjoyable. Got to 18 victories.

I was a pilot like you until I took an Eindecker to the knee (and face and engine and wings and...)

Yeah, I got too cocky. There were three of the bastards heading to us and countless times previously I'd taken all of them out despite having wingmen along (more like 'observers'). I shot down one, then lined up on the second, and stayed too long playing chicken with the Kraut. I saw his Eindecker explode in flames just as it crashed into me, then I got to watch as my pilot, slumped over and presumably lifeless, as his plane spiraled into the ground. Fun stuff.

FrontierCybrarian

Banzai_Cat, humorous and encouraging post concerning this WINGS game. All that matters in any game or entertainment is that you enjoy it and it is FUN!

Continue to update us on your escapdes even if you still have "shades of Skyrim" on your mind...I mean KNEE.

Gusington

During the multiple betas for the new Wings I had potential kills slam into me regularly, it got infuriating after a while.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

I wish Gaijin Studios would do a WW1 version of War Thunder.  Just sayin'... O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Silent Disapproval Robot

They said they were thinking about it initially but shelved it when they saw that almost nobody played the Simulation Mode of WT and that most players gravitated towards the jets.  I think that's just because those are listed as the top of the tier tree and arcade people wanted to wave the "look at me! I'm UBER-LEET!" flag around.

Nefaro

Quote from: W8taminute on October 20, 2014, 05:24:33 PM
I wish Gaijin Studios would do a WW1 version of War Thunder.  Just sayin'... O0

... and a '60s too.

FrontierCybrarian

An early review of this game:

http://www.hookedgamers.com/pc/wings_remastered_edition/review/article-1348-2.html

One of the complaints, also mentioned by Gus is planes colliding with you.

Gusington

Good, succinct review. There is strong chatter about an up and coming German campaign expansion too...that would ndeed be great.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: Gusington on October 20, 2014, 02:39:53 PM
During the multiple betas for the new Wings I had potential kills slam into me regularly, it got infuriating after a while.
Annoying, but historically fairly common. This link has some interesting WW1 trivia http://4yearsofww1.info/
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

FrontierCybrarian

Boggit, good find and thanks for sharing tidbits of "all-things" Dubbya-Dubbya One.
C:-)

Gus, there are players who enjoy being German Aces, especially "The Baron." Keep us posted if the chatter becomes reality. Thanks

Gusington

The German campaign is very high on this reborn Cinemaware's list. If Wings does well or if they launch another, smaller mini Kickstarter, the German campaign will probably become a reality pretty soon.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I haven't survived long enough to check out the medal system...but if this is pretty close to Red Baron (campaign-wise anyway), I'm all in for supporting this venture further.