Main Menu

Star Ruler 2

Started by Jarhead0331, July 17, 2014, 09:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

bbmike

I'm always looking for better diplomacy in these types of games. It's nice to see a new approach. Research also sound interesting. Damn, there goes $19.99.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

One thing I am reminded of, however, is I do not like the developers. I recall them being rather arrogant and rude in their official forums in the SR1 days, I see the attitude has carried on over to the steam forums. Pitty.  Very Derek Smart-ish.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

I noticed the even spacing of the planets in the 'shape' of the galaxy (spiral). That looks odd.

The game does look interesting, but I'll definately wait to see how this is going to pan out. Dropping support of SR1 didn't really sit well with me and these guys need to prove it just isn't a money grab again this time.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

mikeck

This whole time I was confusing Star Ruler with "star drive". Never cared for star ruler so good thing I didn't buy. I did pick up Lords of the Black Sun though
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on July 20, 2014, 10:58:52 AM
This whole time I was confusing Star Ruler with "star drive". Never cared for star ruler so good thing I didn't buy. I did pick up Lords of the Black Sun though

I had the same problem with Lords of the Black Son that I had with Horizon.  Couldn't get into the style.  Additionally, the ship building options were terribly limited. Maybe start a new thread to post your thoughts? Its been awhile since I played...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 20, 2014, 11:33:46 AM
Quote from: mikeck on July 20, 2014, 10:58:52 AM

I had the same problem with Lords of the Black Son that I had with Horizon.  Couldn't get into the style.  Additionally, the ship building options were terribly limited. Maybe start a new thread to post your thoughts? Its been awhile since I played...

Will do. Only review is on "Space Sector" and that was luke warm at best. I think Distant Worlds and Moo3 are still my "go-to's"
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Martok

Space Sector has posted a first impressions article on the beta.  The author sounds pretty upbeat overall. 

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2014/07/star-ruler-2-hits-steam-early-access-beta-first-impressions/

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mikeck

I found the original game interesting. The one thing I didn't like about it was that in order to stay alive you had to build fleets of like 300 ships... so they look like swarms of flies moving around. I didn't like the vast number of ships you could build basically just churn them out. Wonder if that has changed

Cougar_DK

With update 2 out any updated opinions?  :)
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

mikeck

I have to say, I'm really enjoying this. The trading/economic model is not only original but really cool. Each planet has either water, various food types or various resources it can export.  In order to raise the population and industrial capacity of planets, you have to continually increase the amount of food, water and resources. Resources come in 4 levels and each new planetary level increase requires an additional resource of the previous level and one for the new.

So if you have a level one planet that you want to get to level two, it already is importing food, water and a level 1 resource (there are various types). Level 2 requires 2 more food, another level 1 resource and a level 2 resource.

Now here is the trick. Let's say you find a planet that has a level 2 resource. You have to first get that planet up to level 2 before you can begin exporting that level 2 resource. That means importing food and resources an then finally exporting the home resource.

In the end. It REALLY eliminates the 4x ability late game of building everything on every planet. You really have to think about trade routes, which planets to level up and which enemy planets to take.

Combat is pretty when slowed down. Ship design is great with more freedom than most games. Finally, diplomacy is based on a type or card system. Using influence points, you purchase certain cards that can be used to influence the galactic senate to pass resolutions.

You have various buildings you can construct on planets but here is another interesting aspect. "Pressure" builds depending on what the planet produces. This pressure causes the population to automatically construct things. For example, if your planet is producing or importing a ton of resources, the pop will contruct factories. If you are producing energy, they might build research centers. So you can control what your planet builds also by controlling what it is making and importing.

I play at .5x speed. There are NO combat tactics...you line up and fire. Your input comes in at the ship design phase and your industrial capacity to build ships and defenses.

This is one of the better space  4x I have played and it seems to be overlooked.

tgb

Is it done?  I  bought it several months back, but the developer was making changes so quickly I decided to just shelve it until it was finished.

Martok

You tempt me, mikeck

However, I've long been turned off by the card-based diplomacy system.  When you throw in the lack of tactical options in combat, plus the game being in real-time (my love of Distant Worlds notwithstanding), it really makes me hesitate.  You find it to be fun despite (or perhaps because) of these things? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mikeck

Quote from: Martok on November 19, 2014, 03:34:28 PM
You tempt me, mikeck

However, I've long been turned off by the card-based diplomacy system.  When you throw in the lack of tactical options in combat, plus the game being in real-time (my love of Distant Worlds notwithstanding), it really makes me hesitate.  You find it to be fun despite (or perhaps because) of these things?

Yep. Here's the thing. In games where you do have control over ships in tactical space combat. How many options do you really have with them? Move to this hex move to that Hex, shoot. So I really don't mind as long as the combat is pretty. The tactics on full based on your ship designs really.

I don't mind the real time because you can slow it down to the point where it's a crawl you can actually get to .2 times normal speed. You can also posit so no it really doesn't bother me at all

I haven't messed around with diplomacy enough to decide whether I like it or not. it's not entirely card based...a lot of it is using influence points, but I don't know... I don't care much about diplomacy these games anyway I'm all about the violence

I think I like it just because of the original trading system. In most games you set up a trade route and you just get money from it. Inbthis game which planet you trade with and what you trade for really matters and have appointment about.

Also like to ship design

It is still not done but the updates of come a lot slower; maybe once a month or so so I think it's pretty much there

Anguille

How long until release?