Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: Boggit on July 17, 2014, 08:53:55 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 17, 2014, 05:01:33 AM
So star citizen has raised over $43,000,000. That's MILLiON, fellas. It's set all sorts of records for the PC game industry.  Roberts has set a new stretch goal...for $50,000,000, he will create and add alien languages to the game. That's just great. He'll make another seven million dollars and the game will be delayed another 2 years because he is writing gibberish. I think he needs to stop counting money, stop adding features and start making game.
Good for you! That told him! O0

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 17, 2014, 05:01:33 AM
So star citizen has raised over $43,000,000. That's MILLiON, fellas. It's set all sorts of records for the PC game industry.  Roberts has set a new stretch goal...for $50,000,000, he will create and add alien languages to the game. That's just great. He'll make another seven million dollars and the game will be delayed another 2 years because he is writing gibberish. I think he needs to stop counting money, stop adding features and start making game.

LOL

To be very honest, my heart sank when I tried the hangar module,  because it felt familiar. I was a long time player of EVE and I do have a profound trauma with this thing of being promised smoking hot pewpewpew and getting instead a muthafuckin' hangar with a guy running around, looking at fish in a tank, with no frickin' lazers, and seeing that the interaction with the diverse set of props made me want to scream. I checked every corner of my ship expecting to find a monocle somewhere, as a highly ironical and personal joke.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: TacticalWargames on July 17, 2014, 07:39:39 AM
I was saying it in a "he is taking the piss" kind of way:)

Elite is the one I'm keeping my eye on..was the first game I ever got hooked on.

SC and the insurance thing is what really made me think and decided to stay away. Insurance in real life cam be a rip..let alone for an imaginary starship..

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 17, 2014, 06:28:31 AM
^whatever. Does it make a difference? You get the point.

I do think it will eventually be a game worth playing.  The insurance thing scared me too, but its not something you buy with real money, you buy it with in game currency, so I'm not as concerned about it right now.  We'll see...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Tpek

QuoteJay and Silent Bob Strike Back's Mark Hamill

Man that's harsh. After everything he did throughout the years, being Luke Skywalker, The Joker and more,
and he is credited for a silly scene in a silly movie  :idiot2:

Jarhead0331

I'm glad this thread was necroed. Star Citizen has been on mind because I finally threw in the towel and deleted it from my system. Almost 60 gigabytes of virtually nothing. Nothing but a tech demo, dreams and unfulfilled promises. The weekly email developer updates are extremely irritating. Number one in the list is usually the development status of "star marine", which I gather is the first-person shooter component of the game. Why on earth is this being developed before the actual space flight part of the game is even close to being ready? Furthermore, they are offering special sales on military class fighter ships...that are still in the god damn design stage! That's right, folks, for the low price of 175 dollars, you can buy a conceptual drawing of a ship that you MIGHT eventually get to fly one day.  But wait, there's more. For the super low one time price of 2000 dollars, you can buy a package of 3 conceptual ships that exist only in drawings and which may one day finally be ready to fly in game. By the time this game is ready, we will be able to own and pilot real space ships...it's ridiculous. It's a giant scam on an epic multimillion dollar proportion. Keep making more money, keep making more promises, keep making the dream bigger and bigger. I just do not understand the logic here. Enough is enough. Put up or shut up and release something that actually feels like a game and that is actually enjoyable to play.  They've raised what, close to $50,000,000 already? Their development team should be huge at this point!

I mean, Elite gets criticized for being released without that much to do in the game universe, but at least the game system was stable, attractive and fun to explore. Hell, at least there was actually a game universe that existed. It's taken some time to add filler to make it worthwhile to stick around, but it's getting there, obvious progress is being made and it's impressive as all hell.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tpek

Wow... If JH can get THIS much pissed off at a game company, then they must really have pushed the crap beyond all limits.

Do they even have any fanboys left to defend them and their practices? (unpaid ones that is)

MengJiao

Quote from: Tpek on October 13, 2015, 11:55:50 AM
Wow... If JH can get THIS much pissed off at a game company, then they must really have pushed the crap beyond all limits.

Do they even have any fanboys left to defend them and their practices? (unpaid ones that is)

Okay.  Now I will have to read up a bit on this.  I hope to have nothing to say!

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 13, 2015, 12:18:35 PM
Quote from: Tpek on October 13, 2015, 11:55:50 AM

Okay.  Now I will have to read up a bit on this.  I hope to have nothing to say!

I found this (seems like a lot of nothin' -- I still have nothing to say):

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/12/9509827/star-citizen-release-date-citizencon-star-marine-chris-roberts

PS.  I will say that I'm glad I have things like DCS world: mig21bis to paly with.  At least no relativistic effects are involved (outside of the radar?).

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

sandman2575

I found the articles in the Escapist that DS provides links to more informative and interesting than DS's own post --

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/14715-CIG-Employees-Talk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company

This is incredibly damning stuff (note it's a 3 page article) --

Huw the Poo

Just to play devil's advocate, they don't name a single source.  I'd take that story with a huge grain of salt.

sandman2575

Agree one should always retain a degree of skepticism. Still, granting anonymity to sources is hardly unusual. Reasons why these folks would not want to give their names are not far to find -- presumably they want to remain employable in the game industry.

Not claiming this is Pulitzer Prize level journalism. But if Escapist isn't following sound journalistic practice and ethics here, they have a lot more to lose (i.e. their credibility) than they have to gain by trashing CIG and Chris Roberts. They give a reasonably detailed run-down of their approach here --

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/14727-The-Escapist-Explains-Its-Star-Citizen-Sources-Vetting-and-Respo

I don't really have a dog in this race, not having backed the SC kickstarter. But it sure does seem like CIG has awfully little to show for 4 years and $90m of game development...