Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Computer Wargaming / Re: Railway Empire from Kalypso?
« Last post by Geezer on Today at 03:02:27 PM »
Pretty sure players could do that from the beginning, but I agree it is totally unrealistic.  If it makes the AI play better then I really don't have a problem with it.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Battletech is back!!!
« Last post by DennisS on Today at 01:46:34 PM »
Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries delayed into 2019...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  :pullhair:

Good news is that all lawsuits on content are now settled. See SidAlpha on youtube for the particulars.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Star Wars Battlefront II - PC
« Last post by Tpek on Today at 01:45:56 PM »
And now it's 67% off :P
I'm actually probably going to get it now that I've heard rumors about the devs adding new offline/bots modes.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Blast-off For MONDAY!!
« Last post by DennisS on Today at 01:45:53 PM »
I dream about a time when I can dream about retirement.

Some of us are destined to work until death.

Correct. I am a few generations too late to be able to retire at a reasonable age.
Here in AU there is talk of raising the retirement age here to 70+ and above. THey are burning money like no tomorrow here on everything but their own people and allowing private enterprise to fleece them and the public with toll roads and other rent seeking schemes. As a good capitalist society will do if the market allows. Doctors here are trumping any subsidy the government gives and adding on top of it until the market cannot possibly bear it anymore. Older generations have the attitude to burn all of their generationally acquired capital before they die also. All in all I think we have become complacent and soft.

Here is the US, Trump wants to "privatize" road construction. Given the number of autos on the roads, this would be a cash cow for any massive business making toll roads. I can see the Feds handing over interstates to private companies for maintenance. For a fee. Win-win for the feds, they lose cost and gain revenue. But...the poor bastard driver has to now pay tolls on roads they have already paid for by their taxes. Not good.

Perhaps better discussed in the "Religion/Politics/Flame Wars" Grogheads forum??   O:-)

Fair enough..just a simple observation.   O:-)
« Last post by DennisS on Today at 01:44:59 PM »
People were howling at launch that the AI did not have to build two way tracks and trains could pass through each other.  The game compensated for that, IIRC, with longer track building times for the AI.  Haven't played it in quite a while so I don't know if that is still the case or not, but the devs did not view it as a bug.

Humans now have this ability...but it decreases the technical complexity. Not sure I like that. Switches and smart track laying are part of what appeals to me in a RR sim.
« Last post by Geezer on Today at 01:41:35 PM »
People were howling at launch that the AI did not have to build two way tracks and trains could pass through each other.  The game compensated for that, IIRC, with longer track building times for the AI.  Haven't played it in quite a while so I don't know if that is still the case or not, but the devs did not view it as a bug.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Wars of Succession
« Last post by MengJiao on Today at 01:35:06 PM »
Sounds odd, although on occasion, Athena (The AGEOD engine) does something weird; like sending Stonewall Jackson up to attack Pittsburg Pennsylvania in February 1862 whereupon he withers sans supplies. But all in all, sheís pretty good. In my games as France, Prince Eugene gives me fits down there. I generally avoid a fight with him. I consolidate forces and try to wear him down. One time, I used my Navy to land a Small Force off the northeastern Adriatic. Used it to move north and cut his supply. Worked well although after a huge battle that tore up his force, his defeat was likely a foregon conclusion.

Iím glad someone else is playing this besides me. I mean Címon! How many games cover 18th century warfare operationally?

I also landed in the Northeastern Adriatic.  You can get through to the Hungarians and Bavarians maybe that way.  I'm not sure what went wrong with Eugene.  His supply was cut (again shades of the confederates going to Pittsburg and having no supplies) and now he is hopelessly beseiged in Mantova.  There's just no room for him on this map to manoeuvre.  If I play the Grand Alliance, I'm going to get Eugene out of there and ambush the Bourbons elsewhere.
   Meanwhile its June 1703 and Marlborough is beseiging Antwerp while his allies swarm over the Spanish Netherlands, so life is still hard for the Bourbons.
   It's a pretty neat game.  Every turn gives you lots of pretty tricky decisions to make -- usually for situations that won't unfold for another few turns so there's a lot of layers of suspense.

So the drama of Prince Eugene Continues.  It is August 1703.  The British slipped in a force to Eugene (sailing up the river...at that point Eugene still controlled the "Coastal" guns on the river) so Eugene had a combat power of about 500 and he attacked the besiegers who had a power of about 1500.  To my horror, despite my mass infantry attack, the Bourbons lost the battle.  However the results of the defeat are that Eugene has a combat power of about 100 and the besiegers have nearly 800 plus the fort guns and the harbor guns and the magazines.  So I guess Eugene is holding out in the citadel with his winnings.   Meanwhile, if the Bourbons take Graz with their French expeditionary force, they are within a few moves of Wien from three sides (West Bavaria, East Hungaria and south the expeditionary force).  Up North the Grand alliance has 3 sieges going and the Bourbons will only be able to lift two of those if they are lucky.
« Last post by Steelgrave on Today at 01:14:05 PM »
Wasn't there a huge problem with the AI cheating like crazy? I remember this was on my wishlist until I read some of your comments on this thread. Wonder if that has been fixed to any extent?
« Last post by bbmike on Today at 12:44:58 PM »
^I wonder what will happen to the price when the Summer Sale starts?
« Last post by OJsDad on Today at 12:33:26 PM »
Currently 30% off on Steam.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10