Main Menu

Defiance

Started by Tpek, April 04, 2013, 01:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

Any of you guys happen to play the new MMO Sci-Fi shooter Defiance?

Grimnirsson

I wonder where the reviews are...
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

spelk

I've been giving it a go on the 360.

The jury's out at the moment. It looks and plays better than Fallen Earth, it feels like a less gawdy Avatar game, 3rd person shootings not bad, having Tabula Rasa flashbacks... it's very Rift-esque in terms of dynamic big monster factories (Arks) turn up, then a boat load of players flock around it to empty their guns onto the spawned wildlife, then turn their barrels onto the Rift, erm I mean Ark, to finish it off, and then theres a mass exodus of players from the site.

son_of_montfort

So far, I am really liking the game - but I have only gotten to put around an hour in. I like the ability to summon a vehicle on a whim and the auto-group creation to finish off a nasty boss. Like Spelk said, it really is like Rift-meets-Tabula Rasa (which I actually very very much liked, even though it was not a resounding success).

My name is baelthazar, if anyone wants to friend me.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Tpek

Quote from: son_of_montfort on April 04, 2013, 03:43:14 PM
So far, I am really liking the game - but I have only gotten to put around an hour in. I like the ability to summon a vehicle on a whim and the auto-group creation to finish off a nasty boss. Like Spelk said, it really is like Rift-meets-Tabula Rasa (which I actually very very much liked, even though it was not a resounding success).

My name is baelthazar, if anyone wants to friend me.

My account name is Tpek
Toon is named Avaddon.

We might actually get a proper Grogheads "guild" out of this MMO :P

TheCommandTent

Is this in any way tied to the tv show of the same name that will be debuting soon?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

spelk

Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 04, 2013, 06:36:56 PM
Is this in any way tied to the tv show of the same name that will be debuting soon?

Yes, most defiantly!

Syfy had a big part in funding it's development.

Only trouble is I don't think PC/PS3/Xbox360 versions of the game, see each others player populations.

It's not bad, I played another hour or so last night, my biggest issue with the game is the motivation to go and do anything. The story hasn't sucked me in at all. Perhaps that's where the TV show will come in?

My character names are Fade Moonbow, and Trill, on spelky.

spelk

Oops sorry for the double post...

Grimnirsson

Quotemy biggest issue with the game is the motivation to go and do anything

Since that is what a game should be all about (motivating the player, making him want to play), a sign for a bad game actually, don't you think?
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

spelk

Quote from: Grimnirsson on April 05, 2013, 03:53:43 AM
Quotemy biggest issue with the game is the motivation to go and do anything

Since that is what a game should be all about (motivating the player, making him want to play), a sign for a bad game actually, don't you think?

I'd have to say, it could be a personal issue I have with sandbox games in general. With MMO's perhaps being the ultimate in online sandbox gaming.

There's often too many choices of what to do, that you end up with option paralysis! :)

spelk

I must say the more i play of it, the more I'm warming to it. Starting to understand weapon slotting, and the EGO system, plus I've been on some longer storied missions now, and they remind me of City of Heroes for some unknown reason.

I realise it will probably crash and burn, especially if the TV show isn't up to scratch, but from an initial cold reception by me, it is getting under my skin.

Tpek

It's nice, but I find it REALLY hard at some missions.
At least if played without other players.

Nefaro

How is the gameplay mechanics?  Is it mostly a first-person shooter?  Or does it have a lot of RPG in it?

Tpek

Seems to mostly be an FPS.
It has grindable-skills for weapons and vehicles (repeated use causes your skills to level up and each level brings a new statistical bonus),
And it has the Perks system that allows you to tweak the character a bit and give him/her some minor advantages that increase a bit in power as you invest more points in them.
Plus there are of course weapons and shields and such stuff that can be slotted with mods to increase their power, or just find altogether new and more powerful stuff.