Gamer camp!

Started by bayonetbrant, May 19, 2016, 03:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Hey folks - Gamer summer camp question (think of this as very informal market research).

> For high school kids, what kind of price point would you expect for a week-long (Sunday-to-Saturday) sleep-away gamer camp hosted at a college campus?

$1000? $800? $600?

• meals included
  • bring your own linens
  • games provided (plus some materials for some design-your-own games)
  • counselors who are published game designers and industry veterans
  • literally from breakfast to bedtime, with occasional breaks to run around outside and get some fresh air.
  • Also attempting to coordinate a possible field trip to a local video game developer, too.

> Thoughts and feedback welcome, but please understand that a lot of your questions might be met with "we don't know yet". Thanks!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

A grand doesn't seem out of line. That said, I'd be far more likely to send my kids at $800.

Would it be a mix of games - board, video and miniatures?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on May 20, 2016, 07:51:00 AMWould it be a mix of games - board, video and miniatures?

Probably not a lot of video games, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Focused on tabletop games - board, card, minis, RPG - with some possible LARP mixed in, but that's personnel-dependent.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 20, 2016, 09:51:28 AM
Quote from: mirth on May 20, 2016, 07:51:00 AMWould it be a mix of games - board, video and miniatures?

Probably not a lot of video games, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Focused on tabletop games - board, card, minis, RPG - with some possible LARP mixed in, but that's personnel-dependent.

Nice. There was a week long camp like that for a few summers when I was in high school. More focused on RPG and LARP, but a bit of everything. It was an absolute blast. And dirt cheap at the time. I think the whole thing was $150.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

besilarius

Brant, this fellow runs a summer camp in Northern Virginia to introduce youngsters to gaming.

https://misternizz.wordpress.com/

He's a very enthusiastic gamer with a lot of experience.  Drop him a line and he could probably give you some pitfalls to avoid.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.