Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Hey Jarhead!!
« Last post by Silent Disapproval Robot on Today at 12:43:19 AM »
So...I caved.  The gun store had a 10% off sale yesterday and today.  I waited until about 11am this morning before sauntering over.  I said if the RDB was still in stock, I’d pick it up.  I thought for sure it would be gone but they actually had two on the rack.  Picked one up but I won’t be able to get to the range until Weds.  (I could go tomorrow but going on Sat or Sun is pure misery.  Hour plus waits just to get a lane and 45 min between target changes.)

Hopefully it works as intended.  I know Karl-Tec has a rep for dodgy quality control.  I had good luck with my KSG.  Hope it continues with the RDB as well.

Computer Wargaming / Re: Strategic Command Classic competition
« Last post by Boggit on Today at 12:39:24 AM »
Well OK. If it is the consensus to play the opposite side, then I'll reallocate opponents, so that you all get a bit of variation with your gaming partners. I'll leave things as it is for a couple more days in the event that some of you are totally against this - as then it just won't work.

But if I see nothing more regarding this post other than approval, then I'll set up the mirror games for you.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Battletech is back!!!
« Last post by Silent Disapproval Robot on Today at 12:33:58 AM »
Yeah she does.  I sent her out on a lone banzai charge pretty early on in the game because she getting on my nerves.
Tabletop AARs / Re: 1985 - Checkpoint Charlie AAR/Rules Check
« Last post by UBoater on Yesterday at 11:56:47 PM »
Now it's the 32nd Guards Tk Div turn to take a crack at the US Berlin Bde.

A Standard Assault for 4 MP is initially considered.

Supply is good, no WMD, no EW units present, no Active Defense.

The 387th Art Bde is stacked with the 32nd Guards and will support the attack. There are only air 4 assets left (Su17s and Mig23) but they will be saved to support later attacks.

Defender/NATO Combat Modifiers:
City Terrain +3
Cadre Rating +5 Tested
Hedgehog +2
Festung Berlin Rule +1
Total 11 for the Defender

Attacker/WP Combat Modifiers:
Cadre Rating +4 (Soviet CAT I Div untested)
Enemy Casualties +2
Combat Ratio 7:1 so 0 for this
Total 6 for the Attacker

Combat Modifier is 11 - 6 = 5
At 7:1 gives
1-7 D
8-12 C
13-20 A1

Not great odds. There are 2 ways the WP can try to increase the chance of success:
Commit some air units to get at most +3 Combat Modifier - but they will first be exposed to AA fire which could reduce that.
Or the 32nd Guard could choose Single Echelon Assault (all regiments attack/no reserves) instead of Standard Assault which would multiply its attack factor by 1.5. The problem is on any result that is not a D the unit loses an extra step. On a C that is a one step loss, but on an A1 attack into a city that is a 2 step loss +1 step for Echelon Assault - unit destroyed.

The WP will just let it ride as is and the roll is… 5!
The WP wins the gamble - the US Berlin Bde is eliminated and the 32nd Guards must advance into the hex.
The normal cost for the move into a city hex is 2MP which is less than the 4MP for the Standard Assault so no additional MPs need to be expended - the 32nd Gd still has 16 MPs left.
Also the result was between 4 and 16 so the 32 Gds is now tested and flipped to a 5 Cadre value.

Should the 32nd Gd keep going and attack the UK Berlin Bde?
Let's look at the anticipated combat modifiers:

Defender/NATO Combat Modifiers:
City Terrain +3
Cadre Rating +6 UK default/untested - the Brits are good
Hedgehog +2
Festung Berlin Rule +1
Total 12 for the Defender

Attacker/WP
Cadre +5

That gives a 7 combat modifier at 7:1 so only 1-5 for D1, and 11-20 for A1. Not good.

But the WP can choose to throw in the 3 available Su17M squadrons for Ground Support.
The 3 Su17M Squadrons form an Air Group and come screaming in over West Berlin.

The French and UK Bde's each get a shot at the Group as a whole.
First the French - average evasion for the Su17M's is 5 giving a +2 DRM.
The roll is an 8 + 2 = 10 on the Flak D column is no effect.
The UK roll is  10 + 2 = 12 on the Flak D column is again no effect.

The combined Strike Values of the Su17M's are added to the 32Gd Combat Factor.
Now the odds are 18 + 5 + 7 (combined Su17M) = 30 giving a 10:1 and an addtional +3 modifier.

The odds are 7:1 with a 4 Combat Modifier:
1-8 D1
9-13 C
14-20 A1

And the roll is… 20!
Stopped cold by the Brits with an A1.
Attacking into a city so 2 step loss and a 1 step loss for the supporting Artillery and end of movement for both units.

Both the 32nd Guards and the 25th Tk Divisions have experienced heavy losses and are out of the battle for now. The US Berlin Bde has been eliminated but exacted a toll on the 25th Tk. And the Brits stopped the 32nd Guards cold, but now it's the 90th Gds turn…

But first time to check my work.
Organizations and Equipment / Re: The Case for Canadian Super Hornets
« Last post by Windigo on Yesterday at 10:31:33 PM »
thats what you get for being Americas hat.

any chance you guys are building a series of naval icebreakers? We'll need some sooner than later.

Yeah, but later you won't need them because- no ice.

If that happens it's going to be a crazy world.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Steam Summer Sale 2018...
« Last post by MC on Yesterday at 10:07:42 PM »
While browsing the sale I took a look at Steam's suggestions for other games I might be interested in. I found the following..................

WORLD WAR II GAMES Due to your recent playtime in other World War II games

Hidden & Dangerous 2: Courage Under Fire
-67% $9.99  $3.29

Putt-Putt® Joins the Parade
-60% $6.99  $2.79

Anybody play Putt-Putt®? I hate to blindly pick something up without somebody's take on it. Gus?  :-"
Computer Wargaming / Re: Combat Mission status
« Last post by Bardolph on Yesterday at 09:36:44 PM »
A King Tiger was just as capable of hitting a target at 4km as an Abrams. What's changed is the effectiveness and flexibility of engagement at longer ranges, making a 4km shot from an Abrams far more likely to hit a target at 4km than a King Tiger.

Do what?
GrogHeads Feedback / Re: New Visuals
« Last post by bayonetbrant on Yesterday at 09:27:09 PM »
I thought it was a browser issue for a moment. You should let us conservatives slowly get used to changes Brant ;).

so it's been a few months, and now there's a handful of new thread icons to play with :D
Computer Wargaming / Re: NAVAL ACTION calling for modern BB experts.
« Last post by MengJiao on Yesterday at 09:18:41 PM »
co-incidentally I tried this again last night with a mate and the UI and map look great although are not finished still from the linux interface look of a lot of things still.
Enjoyed the game immensly as I had not played for a while. Considering the ship DLC just so that I do not have to grind so much.

Well, the Hercules is a fine ship:

Okay, doing the whole series is just lazy. ;)

"Wow, that's a little gross to imagine!" "Not if you're into that kind of stuff." "Well, I threw up a little in my mouth, so..."

Classic catchup:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10