Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

I am enjoying "War of the Worlds: Goliath" so far. Nice find...

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Nefaro

Watched the documentary Winter On Fire about the Ukrainian demonstrations at the start of the conflict.

Pretty good one.  I was hoping for more info on the conflict widening, but it's a start.

mirth

Watched The Enemy Below last night. Pretty damned good for 1957. Curt Jurgens and Robert Mitchum were both awesome. Turns out that the Star Trek episode Balance of Terror was based on this movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Enemy_Below

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

I stumbled across this one on Netflix today: The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.

It's an American-British black comedy with David Cross (Mr Show, Arrested Development) and Blake Harrison (The Inbetweeners). Also has Will Arnett in it.

This is the opening scene of Episode 1. Warning: NSFW naughty language.

This is a very good series judging from the first episode - totally not PC at all and Cross is hilarious.

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on November 03, 2015, 11:14:38 AM
Watched The Enemy Below last night. Pretty damned good for 1957. Curt Jurgens and Robert Mitchum were both awesome. Turns out that the Star Trek episode Balance of Terror was based on this movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Enemy_Below

I need to watch that.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Nurse Jackie was a Showtime series that is now on Netflix (or may have been for a while). It's a dark comedy, and is pretty damn good.

Just saw Rock Star was added to it as well, which is a fun movie about 80s hair metal. Lots of hair metal greats in the movie in cameos, too...Jeff Pilson, Zakk Wylde, Jason Bonham, and Myles Kennedy to name a few.

Parks and Recreation just added Season 7, which I think is the final season in that show. It's fun to watch, and funny to see Chris Pratt before he became an A-list film star.

Nefaro

Just when I had been debating turning off Netflix for a couple months...

Trailer Park Boys gets a new season.   :coolsmiley:

Now I "have for to" watch it.  :))

If they keep this trend up, maybe next month will be the 2nd season of Marco Polo or Narcos.  If so, they've discovered how to keep making money off me year-round.

Nefaro

Netflix' Marvel onslaught continues...

Luke Cage should be damn cool.  But I'm really looking forward to the Iron Fist series.  Judging by how well they've done Daredevil, I expect the action scenes to go to eleven.   O0

bbmike

Quote from: Nefaro on July 21, 2016, 10:06:36 PM
Netflix' Marvel onslaught continues...

Luke Cage should be damn cool.  But I'm really looking forward to the Iron Fist series.  Judging by how well they've done Daredevil, I expect the action scenes to go to eleven.   O0

Marvel would never do it and the fans wouldn't allow it either but I would give anything to see a remake of The Incredible Hulk 1978 TV series.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Swift and Shift Couriers is hilarious if you don't mind a lot of cursing and low-brow and VERY un-PC humor.

Stranger Things is very good. I've only seen the first two episodes so far but Wynona is phenomenal in it, and it's a very creepy ride.

JasonPratt

Quote from: bbmike on July 22, 2016, 07:50:23 AM
Marvel would never do it and the fans wouldn't allow it either would sell their own children to support it but I would give anything to see a remake of The Incredible Hulk 1978 TV series.

Fixed your autocorrect problem.  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Would Mark Ruffalo do TV?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 22, 2016, 11:09:16 AM
Quote from: bbmike on July 22, 2016, 07:50:23 AM
Marvel would never do it and the fans wouldn't allow it either would sell their own children to support it but I would give anything to see a remake of The Incredible Hulk 1978 TV series.

Fixed your autocorrect problem.  ::)

I think Hulk fans look at the TV show the same way Batman fans look at the Adam West show. Most don't like it and pretend it didn't exist. When the 2008 Incredible Hulk movie came out a few years back and the TV show was brought up people would say things like 'the Hulk was too small', 'the show was too brainy with no action', 'Hulk didn't talk', 'it was just a rehash of the The Fugitive', etc. That's not to say both shows didn't have fans, I just don't think most of them are the same fans as the comic following ones. I never cared for the comics Hulk but LOVE the Bixby one. Kenneth Johnson was a genius!
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

The Hulk TV show was one the best TV/Movie superhero works from that era. It certainly was the best thing involving a Marvel character for a long time.

JasonPratt

I'm not saying the fans would want a pure remake of the TV series on the same scale. But a lot of us liked the bare tie-ins to the show in the MCU movie, and wished those could have been a lot stronger. (The TV themes were excellent, for example; why not go ahead and use those in the MCU instead of a few bars for one scene???)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!