Greatest Films According To Grogs: The 1970 Sweet Sixteen

Started by BanzaiCat, March 11, 2018, 11:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Hopefully, the 1970 in Film bracket will garner more votes than the 1960 one did. Perhaps that was going back a bit too far, but in any case, I'll continue the 1960s bracket in the future, though it will be some time before we get to the next 1960-era film.

1970 in Film had a lot of great flicks, and some that are not so great. Some hit the top of the lists regardless and though I've not seen them, I've included them in the list here. I'm pretty sure they won't make it past the second round, especially in the face of some of these films, but we'll see how things pan out. Also, there's at least one big stinker in this list, but it's so awesome I just couldn't resist putting it here for your voting pleasure.

BRACKET ONE: 1 vs. 16

1. Tora! Tora! Tora!

16. Airport

BRACKET TWO: 8 vs. 9

8. Ryan's Daughter

9. Love Story

BRACKET THREE: 5 vs. 12

5. Hercules in New York

12. Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace and Music

BRACKET FOUR: 4 vs. 13

4. The Aristocats

13. The Losers

BRACKET FIVE: 6 vs. 11

6. Patton

11. Catch-22

BRACKET SIX: 3 vs. 14

3. A Man Called Horse

14. Little Big Man

BRACKET SEVEN: 7 vs. 10

7. MASH

10. Chisum

BRACKET EIGHT: 2 vs. 15

2. Chariots of the Gods

15. Hornet's Nest

Staggerwing

the Hornet's Nest trailer reminds me an awful lot of Red Dawn. Hmm...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

Those are some really weird choices for movies....  :idiot2:

And you put the best 2 against each other right from the start.... Patton vs Catch 22... really?!?  :knuppel2:

BanzaiCat

Admittedly, this was not a strong year for 'greatest' films. So some were (obviously) tongue-in-cheek choices.