Field of Glory II DLC announced...paging GUS! Rise of Persia!

Started by CJReich46, August 08, 2018, 03:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

This is something that has come up repeatedly in the "Flight of the Eagle" KSs and is one of the really neat design decisions in Shako's "Napoleon 1806", viz.:  the rarity of shall we call them "involuntary" battles.

In the former it's nigh impossible to compel someone to fight who does not want to.  Oh, you can chase them with cavalry and nibble at them a good deal, but full-on Friedland?  No.

In the latter, you can order a corps or stack to move to a space, but cannot make it fight unless you want to take a substantial combat deduction.  Very elegant.

I think both bases reflect history and, while there have always been ambushes and the like, I find them to be the exceptions that prove the rule.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

ByzantineGames

There are in fact negative weather modifiers in FOG2 for all shooting (except javelins) in rain or snow.

A scenario can been set to rain or snow when created in the Editor, or during a battle if coded in the scenario script.

There is currently no code for random weather in random map battles, mainly because these are often used for tournament-style games, where having one's archer army randomly nobbled by the weather might be considered unfair.

And as has been pointed out above, although there were definitely some Ancient battles whose outcomes were significantly affected by the weather, the vast majority were not. So we prefer to leave it up to scenario designers to put in weather if it is appropriate for a particular historical battle.

DennisS

OK folks..I have purchased all expansions as they came out..but I don't have very many hours played! Yeah, yeah, I know!

How do you'all set up your campaigns? Do you randomize everything, or do you make the battles progressively more difficult and larger?

jomni

Quote from: DennisS on October 02, 2018, 04:09:31 PM
OK folks..I have purchased all expansions as they came out..but I don't have very many hours played! Yeah, yeah, I know!

How do you'all set up your campaigns? Do you randomize everything, or do you make the battles progressively more difficult and larger?

Pick a side and timeframe.  Randomised opponent but same region and timeframe.   Progressive difficulty is more fun. 
Thought I mostly play multiplayer.  And for campaigning, Tides of Conquest = http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=477&t=85060

DennisS

Quote from: jomni on October 02, 2018, 05:19:39 PM
Quote from: DennisS on October 02, 2018, 04:09:31 PM

Pick a side and timeframe.  Randomised opponent but same region and timeframe.   Progressive difficulty is more fun. 
Thought I mostly play multiplayer.  And for campaigning, Tides of Conquest = http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=477&t=85060

Wow! The Tides of Conquest ... mod? looks amazing. I will need to block out some time to evaluate it. Thank you!

jomni

Tides of Conquest is RPG-ish. You select a nation. You play the role of the leader and give orders. Build armies, raid neighbours, conquer, develop infrastructure/ urbanisation.  You can't have too much territory beyond your development level.  And higher development needs more goods from around the world. Unbalancing these means crisis is brewing.

As for combat, you only command one army since it's an RPG.  Battles of your nation's other armies are autoresolved. Your leader has a life span. Once he dies, you are then free to take the role of the leader of another nation or keep playing the same one.

There's mechanics for vassals and settling disputes.  Also mechanics for migration. 

A newer version is in the works with more start dates to cover all DLC periods.

As for multiplayer, all battles can be played out by the faction player.  There's one running now 500AD campaign.  We're always looking for people to play the nations or just play any "NPC" battle without any commitment to any nation.  Look in the tournament section of the FoG II forums.