Dawn of Andromeda - new space 4x game announced by Iceberg Interactive

Started by Martok, February 03, 2016, 06:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

In fairness to Iceberg, they do occasionally pick a winner (Endless Space/Endless Legend)

Anguille

Quote from: tgb on February 05, 2016, 05:37:05 AM
In fairness to Iceberg, they do occasionally pick a winner (Endless Space/Endless Legend)
Armada 2526 and Oriental Empires are also winners.

Imho, they just publish as much as they can and invest in marketing.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Anguille on February 05, 2016, 06:53:01 AM

Might be a little early to call oriental empire a winner since hasn't been released:)

Anguille

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 05, 2016, 06:55:07 AM

Might be a little early to call oriental empire a winner since hasn't been released:)

Maybe ;)

I have to say that i have no doubts that it's going to be winner, based on the track record from Bob T. Smith and how i perceive him as extremely Professional.

Martok

Quote from: Beowulf on February 04, 2016, 04:00:02 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 03, 2016, 10:27:09 PM
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on February 03, 2016, 10:05:51 PM
What have some of their clunkers been?  I recall a couple good titles from them, but that may have been 10 years ago...

StarDrive, Lords of the Black Sun, Gemini Wars, Sol Exodus, Horizon, etc.

Yeah, about that...
This exchange in 4x dedicated subreddit seems interesting:
https://www.reddit.com/r/4Xgaming/comments/4429dh/dawn_of_andromeda_announced_yet_another_space_4x/czn50gm
Yeah, I realized after I'd put up the thread that the name Mike Domingus (or whatever it is) looked/sounded familiar to me.  It took me only a few seconds to remember why.  :-\ 

I'll still try to keep an open mind with this one, but am now extremely skeptical. 

Quote from: Anguille on February 05, 2016, 07:02:59 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 05, 2016, 06:55:07 AM

Maybe ;)

I have to say that i have no doubts that it's going to be winner, based on the track record from Bob T. Smith and how i perceive him as extremely Professional.
Agreed.  While Armada 2526 wasn't a perfect game and isn't for everyone, it did benefit from a solid design, decent AI, and a developer who's good at avoiding "feature creep". 

Give that, combined with Smith's experience working on the Total War franchise, I'm confident Oriental Empires will turn out well. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Anguille

Some new info:

Like for Oriental Empires, Iceberg has decided to change it's approach. I think it's better like this.

QuoteDevelopment studio Grey Wolf Entertainment and publisher Iceberg Interactive have reassessed their development strategy and, after much analysis, have chosen to continue the Dawn of Andromeda development process in a controlled closed beta program, instead of the initially planned Steam Early Access process.

The closed beta program will enable a fixed-sized and fully controllable environment, where feedback is more manageable and easier to digest for the relatively small indie team. The beta program will consist of several different phases/waves, introducing a fixed number of new players to the beta program at different development points. Once the closed beta program for Dawn of Andromeda is complete, the title will be launched as a solid and finished product on Steam.

More information about the closed Beta program and application process will be revealed later this month.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/427570/announcements/detail/604980990738365064

Martok

Quote from: Anguille on April 08, 2016, 09:03:26 AM
I think it's better like this.
I disagree. 

Don't get me wrong, I think I understand why Iceberg is doing this, and I don't blame them:  Developers & publishers have woken up to the realization that Early Access isn't necessarily appropriate for every new game.  And as a matter of practicality, I suspect it's a lot easier for Iceberg to simply yank all their upcoming releases from EA, as opposed to some titles and not others. 

That being said...  I think that Dawn of Andromeda should've remained in Early Access, as that would've helped shine as bright a light on it as possible.  Given developer Mike Domingus' prior history (the poorly-received Lords of the Black Sun, and the general impression that he Steve-Miller'ed his way out of that quagmire), the more transparency with this new game, the better. 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

FarAway Sooner

Technically, Martok, it was Billy Joe and Bobbie Sue who took the money and ran.  Steve Miller was just telling their story...

:)

Anguille

Quote from: Martok on April 17, 2016, 01:58:58 PM
Quote from: Anguille on April 08, 2016, 09:03:26 AM
I think it's better like this.
I disagree. 

Don't get me wrong, I think I understand why Iceberg is doing this, and I don't blame them:  Developers & publishers have woken up to the realization that Early Access isn't necessarily appropriate for every new game.  And as a matter of practicality, I suspect it's a lot easier for Iceberg to simply yank all their upcoming releases from EA, as opposed to some titles and not others. 

That being said...  I think that Dawn of Andromeda should've remained in Early Access, as that would've helped shine as bright a light on it as possible.  Given developer Mike Domingus' prior history (the poorly-received Lords of the Black Sun, and the general impression that he Steve-Miller'ed his way out of that quagmire), the more transparency with this new game, the better.
Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion about it...will you try to be part of the beta?

Surtur

Hi all,

The reason for not doing EA on Dawn of Andromeda is quite similar to the one for Oriental Empires. After many discussions, we concluded that the team is simply too small to deal with Early Access. They want to focus on developing the game and making it bug-free, instead of being forced to divert time to post updates and roadmaps and manage a large steam community. We are very much devoted to make this a great game that has its own inque place between all the 4X games.

I would also like to point out that Mike learned a lot from his first project and has chosen a much better set of tools to complete Dawn of Andromeda.
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

Martok

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on April 18, 2016, 01:17:13 AM
Technically, Martok, it was Billy Joe and Bobbie Sue who took the money and ran.  Steve Miller was just telling their story...

:)
True, but "Steve-Miller'ed" had a better ring to it (at least to my ears).  :P 

Quote from: Anguille on April 18, 2016, 01:24:36 AM
will you try to be part of the beta?
I would certainly like to, but in all honesty I know I likely wouldn't be a meaningful/worthwhile contributor even if I applied to the beta and was accepted.  I too often lack both the time and (especially) energy to be a regular beta-tester, even in games in which I have a high degree of interest -- much less games in which I have only a mild interest.  (Exhibit A:  You'll note I've not signed up for the Oriental Empires beta, even though it's one of my top three most-anticipated games this year.)  Sigh. 

Quote from: Surtur on April 18, 2016, 03:36:43 AM
The reason for not doing EA on Dawn of Andromeda is quite similar to the one for Oriental Empires. After many discussions, we concluded that the team is simply too small to deal with Early Access. They want to focus on developing the game and making it bug-free, instead of being forced to divert time to post updates and roadmaps and manage a large steam community. We are very much devoted to make this a great game that has its own inque place between all the 4X games. 
Fair point, Surtur.  I still can't say I'm precisely happy about the decision, but I can understand the reasons for it readily enough. 

I would also like to point out that Mike learned a lot from his first project and has chosen a much better set of tools to complete Dawn of Andromeda.
Glad to hear it.  May it bear out better results this time around. 

Anguille

Hi all,

Do you have any news? On steam it says release september...can you confirm it's still the target?

Thanks

Anguille

Looks like the game is about to get into EA very very soon.

The game looks much better than what i expected and it seems the beta was beneficial after all.  :bd:

EDIT: seems he shouldn't have posted the video yet. A video from the live Stream should come up soon and i'll repost that one.

Anguille

It's on youtube now.

Will post the video by 4explorminate as soon as it's public again.