Help to translate a Wargame site.

Started by Grognardesque, January 18, 2017, 02:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grognardesque

Hello,

I come to ask for help from the wargame community.
Marengo FES is a splendid wargame, with quite revolutionary material.
You can find it here:
http://wargame-process-edition.com/index.html

I started translating the site with a translator, can you tell me whether the translation is correct ?
There will be 8 pages.
Page 1 :

Thank you for your help.
Serge

This is the text :
" A wargame for the Grumblers and those who would like to "
This game of History proposes to simulate the battle that opposed the army of the Austrian Empire of General Melas,
to the French Republican army of General Bonaparte, 14 June 1800 in Marengo (northern Italy).
The game system is meant to be of medium complexity, while historically demanding.
The rule, the neat card, the combat pieces and the revolutionary dice that are proposed to you have been designed for this purpose.
The philosophy of the game is based on the total absence of stacking for regiments, an unprecedented loss recording system and minimal use of markers and tables.

Ubercat

I would change grumbler back to grognard. It makes more sense to English speaking war gamers in the original French.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

GJK

I'll take a crack at it:

"A wargame for the Grumblers and those who would like to."

This Historical game proposes to simulate the battle of 14 June 1800 in Marengo (northern Italy) that opposed the army of the Austrian Empire of General Melas, to the French Republican army of General Bonaparte.

The game system is meant to be of medium complexity, while being historically accurate.

The rules, the neat card*, the combat pieces and the specialized dice** that are presented to you have all been designed for this purpose.

The philosophy of the game is one based on the complete absence of stacking for regiments while featuring an unprecedented unit-loss (or could be "step-loss") recording system that is accomplished with a minimal use of markers and tables.

* (not sure what a "neat" card is?)

** "revolutionary dice": as in dice that are revolutionary in design or dice used by revolutionary (era) players?  I suspect the former, thus my suggestion for the change.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Grognardesque

Thank you GJK.  O0
Neat card = Neat map (military map). Card is not good.
I continue with the second page :

And the texte :
This project required two years of research on the design of a counter capable of bringing together all the characteristics peculiar to the units of the time. Compact and ergonomic, it displays at any time and without marker:
- The number of men visible at the beginning and during the game.
- Combat training of the unit (in battle, column, square and dispersed).
- Its cohesive state of the moment (normal, shocked, fresh, disorganized, routed, broken).
- Its unitary information of belonging (regiments, divisions, Body, nation).
- Its characteristics (presence of voltigeurs, cavalry, grenadier, line, artillery on foot and on horseback).
Lattermann's elite Grenadiers, who after receiving the powerful charge of the French cavalry led by Kellermann, defeated and turned victory into defeat.

GJK

Wait, you're going to have to hire me if you need additional proofing and editing!   ;D

Still confused about "neat map" (or "neat" anything).  The word "neat" shouldn't be in there at all unless it's an acronym, in which case it should be n.e.a.t or 'neat'.  If it's referring to the map, how about instead of "neat map" you go with "beautifully detailed game map".
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Replied before I saw your PM Serge.  Check your messages there, thanks.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Pete Dero

I looked at the french text and there the word 'soignée' is used.

In this context 'la carte soignée' means a map that is well taken care of or a well-thought out map.

The words 'les grognards' could be left untranslated as it is a reference to the Old Guard and most wargamers (should) know the term (or you could use Grogheads  :) )

English and french aren't my first languages so i'm not confident enough to translate the full text. 

Grognardesque

Thank u Pete,
The neat map = The beautifully detailed game map.

I find a great "proofer" for translation.  O0 So i close this post.

Pete Dero

You might also consider this site in France for help or for posting information about the game :

http://www.wargamer.fr/ 
Gazette du wargamer - L'actualité des jeux de stratégie