Fields of Fire (2nd Edition), GMT

Started by BanzaiCat, May 15, 2018, 07:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

...anyone have this game, or have experience with it?

There's so much I can learn from YT vids and BGG articles but I want to know what the community here thinks of it. I've ordered it and it'll be here later in the week. I vacilated between this and Tide of Iron Next Wave - I have the big ToI coffin box but it's incomplete, got it in a trade last year, though I have a couple of expansions for it.

FoF appeals to me because of the changing board (sort of like Advanced Platoon Leader, which I reviewed for this site and is a very good game) that uses cards as terrain. I especially like that it covers three conflicts (WWII, Korea, Vietnam) and am very interested in how it handles Vietnam.

I've heard once you get the rules under your belt, the game is very intuitive and easy to play, but I've also heard the rules are a bear and a half to deal with so I'm not looking forward to that.

All in all I get the feeling you get out of this game what you put into it, which was the tipping point for me. Any other thoughts on the game out there?

TacticalWargames

We reviewed it at AWNT. I can't link as on kindle fire.

2nd edition is supposed to have sorted the issues the first had so should be easier to learn.

Street fighting in new game yet to be released sounds exciting. As a solo tactical wargame nothing else beats it once you know how to play.

Toadkillerdog

It is a deep and interesting game. The 2nd Edition is better than the 1st edition in terms of rules presentation, but it still can be a bear to learn (as evidenced by the number of Rules questions threads on BGG). That said, it is, hands down, one of the best, most immersive solo experiences I've ever played.

My one complaint is that there are a lot of little things buried in the rules such that you really have to know the rule book inside and out. I've been playing for years and just noticed the other day that enemy leaders under the same cover as an enemy unit allow an automatic rally. I probably read the rule several times, but it never clicked.

I have found that the best way to learn is by having someone teach it to you live. I've run several sessions locally for folks, and it seems to click better.

The best part is, of course, that since it's a solo game, if you screw it up no one will ever know.

bayonetbrant

Yeah, but BC always cheats when he plays solo and then gets mad at the cheater
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 15, 2018, 08:36:11 AM
Yeah, but BC always cheats when he plays solo and then gets mad at the cheater

They always kiss and make up later though.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Pinetree

I've only played Vietnam so far and it's very unforgiving but hugely immersive. The VC/NVA can pop up anywhere, including the same card as your troops. Calling down airstrikes is also a lot fun. The Helicopter rules are pretty straightforward but they made a big error in not including commands markers for the flight leaders. I had to make my own.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

BanzaiCat

I saw someone mention there were user-made tracking sheets that they find a lot easier to use (I think it was "lonesome gamer" that said this but can't remember). I'll have to check it out. Sounds like learning this game is going to be an effort but it's worth it, which is what I've been taking away from some of the reviews I've seen.

Pinetree

I learnt it by skimming the rules and then watching the play-throughs on Youtube. They really made it click. The ones by Mike Whittemore  (Counter Attack) were excellent but there's more out there now.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

stolypin

Even though I really don't have the time to learn such a complex system, I bought the game a couple of weeks ago and have been watching videos of it before digging into the rules. 

It's amazing to me how the game has suddenly -- and I mean like in the last few months -- surged in popularity.  I've known about it since Lonesome Gamer's videos in 2014 but it was the recent uptick in discussion that convinced me to pull the trigger and buy.

The problem now will be deciding what games to put aside while I learn to play it. 

BanzaiCat

Quote from: stolypin on May 15, 2018, 01:03:31 PM
The problem now will be deciding what games to put aside while I learn to play it.

We were made to suffer thusly - it's our lot in life. :)

demjansk1942

I have the game and it's still wrapped up

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Should have brought mine with me. :(

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.