Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Sadly, a main campaign faction pack, like this, will screw up a lot of mods.

On an older game like Rome 2, I fear many mod creators won't come back and update their mods after this is released.   :-[

Gusington

The good ones will.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

With lots of new energy being infused into Rome2, the modders seem to be matching up in stride so far.

I'm curious whether the factions will add to the Empire Divided campaign (or whatever the recent thing was called).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I'm waiting for the price of that to go down.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Armored Camels are back? Wahoo! Can Amazon Women be far behind? Did they ever fix the AI thing where it hides in the cities and never fights Field Battles?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

There are definitely female warriors in the new expansion. For... reasons...

Personally I'd like to see the Sabaeans have a special mechanic for princess ambassadors.  ^-^ They were notorious for sending out royal daughters as ambassadors to surrounding kingdoms, hoping to seduce the kings and get a son by which the Sabaeans would now have a claim on inheriting the leadership. (A factor which not only had a huge effect on the kingdom of David and Solomon during the period of the Levantine micro-empires, but subsequently affected historical development in the area for thousands of years down to the present day! -- thanks to "Bathsheba", mother of Solomon, and "the Queen of Sheba", who in Sabean tradition returned carrying Solomon's son.)

Maybe they weren't doing that anymore by Rome2's timeframe, but since when have CA been stopped by colorfulness and anachronism?  \m/
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Toonces

I searched for this thread to post to see if it was worth re-installing Rome 1.  Rome 2, for some reason, has never really grabbed me.

However, while I was working through some stuff I found a "no food, no squalor" mod for Rome 2.  While I'd prefer an auto-management option like in Rome 1, I think this mod might be enough to pull me in.

I hate to regress back to Rome 1, but I hardly played it.  And Rome 2, I don't know...it just feels like it's trying too hard.  It's hard to articulate exactly. 

Anyway, I'm going to give Rome 2 another try with this mod.  I did re-install Rome 1.  I guess having options isn't a bad thing.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Try the Radious mod.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Radious is good but slows the game down a lot. You can't blitz through the whole world, expansion takes much longer and battles can be tough. Still it's my favorite Rome 2 mod.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Isn't there a fantastic Rome mod for Attila?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 21, 2018, 12:41:07 PM
There are definitely female warriors in the new expansion. For... reasons...

Personally I'd like to see the Sabaeans have a special mechanic for princess ambassadors.  ^-^ They were notorious for sending out royal daughters as ambassadors to surrounding kingdoms, hoping to seduce the kings and get a son by which the Sabaeans would now have a claim on inheriting the leadership. (A factor which not only had a huge effect on the kingdom of David and Solomon during the period of the Levantine micro-empires, but subsequently affected historical development in the area for thousands of years down to the present day! -- thanks to "Bathsheba", mother of Solomon, and "the Queen of Sheba", who in Sabean tradition returned carrying Solomon's son.)

Maybe they weren't doing that anymore by Rome2's timeframe, but since when have CA been stopped by colorfulness and anachronism?  \m/
The sabaeans! Holy moly. I did not know that. Very interesting. Using Royal daughters as weapons like that must have been cold as hell on the part of the Kings. BTW, how could you know a son was yours coming back after 9months?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

There is a fantastic mod for Attila whose name escapes me right now, of course...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Correcting my earlier post, it was the DEI mod that slows progression down in the game not Radious. Radious gives you more money and men so you can concentrate on conquering more quickly. But the AI gets the same bonuses so you expect big armies a lot sooner. There's also a Radious mod for Attila.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Destraex on June 29, 2020, 01:35:01 AM
The sabaeans! Holy moly. I did not know that. Very interesting. Using Royal daughters as weapons like that must have been cold as hell on the part of the Kings. BTW, how could you know a son was yours coming back after 9months?

Ideally, the princess ambassadors wouldn't come back, but would be married into the royalty line somewhere. Thus Bat-sheba, though adopted into a Jewish family in marrying Uriah, trades her way up to David and bears his inheriting son, eventually: Shlomo, Solomon.

Still, true, this is a big reason why the other nations wouldn't overly care to recognize royal heirs from now-departed ambassadors. When you're fadging up claims to territory, though, you work with what you can come up with!

Ever wondered why Arabian cultures reaaaallly like Solomon more than David, and try to make claim to the throne on a regular basis, and why there was a medieval Jewish kingdom on the southern Arabia coast (and another one in Ethiopia, which had a lot of cross-migration of tribes with Arabia)? That legendary claim to be descended from Solomon through the Sabaen princess ambassador is why!

Why was Augustus willing to partner up with an Idumean tribal warlord (from the tribe of Edom, i.e. Esau), who became Herod the Great, to secure his land-road supply routes through the Levant between Egypt and Syria? Because one of Herod's parents was Arabian and he claimed thereby to be a descendant of Solomon and so had the right as a son of David to sit on the throne (though he married a Hasmonean princess to help secure that legitimacy). That was a VERY tenuous claim, and led to a lot of political friction by people who wanted a more clearly legitimate heir on the throne, but then again Herod's political connections into Arabia and the border tribes on the other side of the Jordan helped keep raids from launching into Israel (Roman Palestine/Philistina).

Josephus the historian talks about how late in his life Herod had to lead a punitive raid against one of those Idumean border tribes, to restore his loss of Friend of Caesar status, with the implication that Herod had intentionally allowed a raid to get in for some political reason -- not by accident, but also not striking a Roman convoy or Herod would have been declared a rebel king and outright ousted. Josephus doesn't talk about the raid itself and what happened; but we hear from somewhere else  ^-^ that Herod instigated a raid on Bethlehem (a suburb, as we would call it, of Jerusalem, where sheep were raised for Temple sacrifices) to cover the murder of a potential throne claimant Herod had just heard about from a deputation of "great ones" (magoi) from the East, bearing gifts typical of Sabea (gold, frankinscence, myrrh) visiting him to congratulate him on bearing an inheriting son of David! -- and then finding out the boy they were expecting from their astrology cues must have been born somewhere else nearby...

Martok

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 29, 2020, 11:12:22 AM
Correcting my earlier post, it was the DEI mod that slows progression down in the game not Radious. Radious gives you more money and men so you can concentrate on conquering more quickly. But the AI gets the same bonuses so you expect big armies a lot sooner. There's also a Radious mod for Attila.
You've just reminded me that I've yet to really dive into the DEI mod.  Does anyone have any faction recommendations (other than Rome), by the way? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces