Total War: Rome II THE RISE OF ROME dlc

Started by JasonPratt, August 04, 2018, 02:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Radious in particular is very good at keeping his mods up to date and compatible with patches, dlc, etc.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Very true. I remember when Rome 2 came out and they were patching it to death, every one screwed-up his mod but he caught it up pretty quick which couldn't have been easy. You can disable updates when using mods but it isn't necessary. But updates may interfere with the mods. If the mods are kept current, not abandoned by the author, then it shouldn't be a real problem. I'll post some thoughts on the DEI mod after I play it a bit.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tuna

So do you install by just finding it in the Steam workshop and activate it?

JasonPratt

In my experience, you have to subscribe to it (and all its pieces where applicable) in the workshop; and then, if I recall correctly (I'll try to check when I get home), when you launch Rome 2 there will be an overlay to choose which mods to activate before actually running the game.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

That's right. Steam Workshop: the DEI mod has 10 parts that all have to be subscribed to in order, Radious I believe only has one, can't remember for sure. You can also go to the "Total War Center" and get them there too and both mods have their own sites as well. But you can find everything you need to know, links, sites and some videos, at the Steam Workshop. YouTube also has many videos of all things TW.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Pratt is correct. Some Radious mods (depending on the game) can have more than one part. Either way it is so much easier than it used to be with downloads, extractions, applications and even futzing with code. Now get off my lawn!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on September 13, 2018, 08:41:22 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 12, 2018, 10:13:39 AM
Only thing I'm not sure about is whether it's worth the bother to reinstall the Radious mod or not. Anybody know how vanilla is now with all the updates?

What did the Radious mod do?

In the past, it has made the campaign easier for those who don't like such things as rebellion mechanics or putting effort into keeping their economy & food in the black while building like no other.   L:-)

Had some good things in older TWs.  Such as adjusting the unit speeds.  However, you could find those in other mods too.

I used to dig it for the speed fixes years ago but after realizing how it turned the turn-based campaign side into Easy Mode, I never went back.  I enjoy the campaign side too much. 

Sir Slash

Nefaro

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 13, 2018, 09:54:36 PM
So it's not.....terrific?  :2funny:

Has some good with some bad.

Question is... do you really want TW's campaign to get easier?  Sometimes I think people raise the campaign game difficulty then complain about having to deal with the economic and pop happiness, but don't want to feel inadequate by lowering the difficulty slider back down.  So this happens.  ???

Sir Slash

I liked Radious well enough for Rome 2 and Attila but the Warhammer TW version actually made the game harder for me.

Tuna

Quote from: Nefaro on September 13, 2018, 09:59:15 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 13, 2018, 09:54:36 PM
So it's not.....terrific?  :2funny:

Has some good with some bad.

Question is... do you really want TW's campaign to get easier?  Sometimes I think people raise the campaign game difficulty then complain about having to deal with the economic and pop happiness, but don't want to feel inadequate by lowering the difficulty slider back down.  So this happens.  ???

No, I would not want the campaign to be easier!

Tuna

Although, all these Civil Wars are driving me crazy! Now I make damn sure opposing clan members are not commanding large armies!

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Philippe

Quote from: MengJiao on September 11, 2018, 04:26:51 PM
Quote from: Philippe on September 11, 2018, 03:19:04 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on September 10, 2018, 08:07:37 AM
Quote from: jomni on September 09, 2018, 10:34:08 PM
Hoplites are called hoplites because of the shield they carry.
Noticed something wrong.  Hoplites should be thrusting with spears overhead while pushing with shield. Not thrusting low like regular spearmen.

The Chigi vase (via wikipedia) shows both spear positions and overhand thrusts do happen in the game:

What I see when I look at that vase is two different overhand positions: one when you're actually trying to stick someone, and one when you're in overhand position but resting.  The difference has to do with whether you raise your arm or not.

Possibly, but the upward-pointing-carry would transform into an underhand thrust before some kind of swap into an overhand.  Also rear-ranks might go upward-pointing and then to underhand (the same hand position) while overhand might be for the front ranks and/or even a lighter spear or something.

During a recent visit to the Greek section at the Met I counted more than twenty examples of overhand use, and only three examples of underhand, two of which were ambiguous (the person holding the spear underhand was running away and turning to look back at his opponent).

I've been watching a few videos on this recently, and I've been surprised by how good a weapon a spear is when matched up against a sword. 

This one deals with the overhand/underhand question and is worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p93xUp9GrQ

I've seen the video that Matt mentions about the fight camp match-up of different swords against spears and it's fascinating.  Changes how you think about spear vs. sword.  Here's a link to the long version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afqhBODc_8U

And the more condensed version that includes some analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLLv8E2pWdk
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

MengJiao

Quote from: Philippe on September 30, 2018, 02:08:03 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on September 11, 2018, 04:26:51 PM
Quote from: Philippe on September 11, 2018, 03:19:04 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on September 10, 2018, 08:07:37 AM
Quote from: jomni on September 09, 2018, 10:34:08 PM
Hoplites are called hoplites because of the shield they carry.
Noticed something wrong.  Hoplites should be thrusting with spears overhead while pushing with shield. Not thrusting low like regular spearmen.

The Chigi vase (via wikipedia) shows both spear positions and overhand thrusts do happen in the game:

What I see when I look at that vase is two different overhand positions: one when you're actually trying to stick someone, and one when you're in overhand position but resting.  The difference has to do with whether you raise your arm or not.

Possibly, but the upward-pointing-carry would transform into an underhand thrust before some kind of swap into an overhand.  Also rear-ranks might go upward-pointing and then to underhand (the same hand position) while overhand might be for the front ranks and/or even a lighter spear or something.

During a recent visit to the Greek section at the Met I counted more than twenty examples of overhand use, and only three examples of underhand, two of which were ambiguous (the person holding the spear underhand was running away and turning to look back at his opponent).

I've been watching a few videos on this recently, and I've been surprised by how good a weapon a spear is when matched up against a sword. 

This one deals with the overhand/underhand question and is worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p93xUp9GrQ

I've seen the video that Matt mentions about the fight camp match-up of different swords against spears and it's fascinating.  Changes how you think about spear vs. sword.  Here's a link to the long version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afqhBODc_8U

And the more condensed version that includes some analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLLv8E2pWdk

While art works may show a preponderance of overhand spear-postures, it seems likely that for much of the time, the spears where held in other ways.