Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Started by son_of_montfort, December 19, 2013, 11:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

All praise in Grogheads,  but stem reviews is just 70+% positive?
The urge to buy this is strong.

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2018, 07:28:05 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on February 14, 2018, 07:25:10 AM
I am a little amazed to read Very High and Ultra arent a problem for ypu guys.
My i5 4670K and GTX1080 need to crunch hard and framerate is very inconsistent.
I do run at 4K, maybe thats the issue... ?

I'm running on ultra settings, 4K and there isn't any noticeable lag or drop in fps. The only settings I have on very high are shaders and shadows. How much ram do you have? Maybe that's the issue for you?

I have 32GB so that shouldn't be a problem.
I'll try lowering the shadows and shaders and see what happens.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

trek

HEADBOB FIX!

If this is giving you headaches do this: Hit your tilde key (you know the one next to the 1) on your keyboard to bring up the console commands and type in these two lines:

cl_bob 0
cl_headbob 0

This will eliminate the headbob!

PanzersEast

Here are some thoughts:

Bugs / Performance: 
I have not ran into many if any bugs.  There was a sequence where Henry repeated a sentence during a dialog.  On occasion I have had the loading screen on a dialog after chosen take a second or two. Currently I am running on just high and have no issues with the graphics and the environment is very engrossing.

Combat:
This takes some time to get used to, but it is not bad at all if a little awkward.  I have found with fist and sword and you really have to manage your stamina and pick your shots / combo.

Environment:
The environment that I have went through so far is engrossing and very immersive.  You for sure get the 15 century feel to it.  I have noticed while riding my horse and getting off the road you are almost limited going through the brush where you should not be.... it is almost like trying to get through a maze where you should just be able to ride through.  The rain and weather effect are very nice... and the overall landscape / environment is great to look at.

Story:
The introduction is long, I mean really looooong.  But it build the story and does so quit well.  I did not realize how much time I spent in  game until I looked at the clock.  There is a lot of build up and it flows quit well.

Gameplay:
Riding a horse if freaking fun, even more so than M&B in my opinion.  I remember after one fight and talking to a Villager he told me you look like you have been beaten and robbed.  So the environment acts to you but is not dependent on you.  So for example getting the nails, hammer, axe back from a customer of your dad's can be accomplished in several ways, not just one.

The eating, sleep cycle in the game feels about right.  I never felt like "crap I have to eat again, I just did that".  Also, appearance plays a big role.  Influence in the game goes a long way when dealing with people... and by influence I mean not just that you have a silver tongue, but how you are dressed and groomed, what you have done in your past etc... you walk around wielding a sword, the locals are not going to be receptive to talking with you.

The game it not perfect, but it is a lot of fun so far.  It is engrossing, has immersion and tells a great story.  But this is a 2 cent impressions as the game is just now opening up... if the modding community gets a hold of this, there is no telling how it may evolve.  Don't get too wrapped up in the reviews, comparing this game to SkyRim or any other is not really fair and it does more things right than wrong.

I throw horse dung at a house......

Then Mr. Clean Shows up and Burns the town down!!!!

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2018, 07:24:33 AM
I honestly didn't find the fight sequence with Kunesh too challenging. The key was to keep moving and manage stamina. The thing that bothered me was that his face got all banged up during the fight, but as soon as it was over and he gave up, his wounds disappeared so I couldn't admire my handy Work!

Anyway, the hammer and nails are in a chest in his house. The chests are easy to miss. I needed to sell all three items in order to have enough money for the coal.

It will be cool to read about other ways in which you guys go about completing the quests. It's cool that by accepting the Deutsch mission you could enlist your buddies to help you with kunesh. I declined to go on the manure throwing raid.

I beat up Kern and then let him go. But instead of stealing, I went back up and got money off Dad for the charcoal. I figured he knew that poor sod could never pay when he sold him the gear and let him off easier. Kern even told me he would not forget it. I reckon I will encounter him later. I also declined the manure throwing raid.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

Step one: sword training. (But no block training? Really??) I'm using a gamepad for the hell of it, and the lagtime for triggering a slice instead of a thrust is intolerable so far. Speaking as a nerdy bookworm, I feel pretty sure I had more of a handle on swordfighting after my first two or three lessons of fencing than this clod has had in his three or four lessons. And I picked agility as one of my strengths! (And speaking for the other, for all the fat lot of good it has done me so far.)

Step two: get money. Punched him out since I figured that was the tutorial's purpose and I'd better get to training for later. Again, the timing for triggering jabs and swings was more than a little janky, and I'm not at all sure I was ever jabbing (or stab-lunging) anywhere other than at his chest or face. Trying for swings or cuts (during sword training) from any other direction simply failed. This limited how many strikes I could chain, too, and worse the game gave me a thin margin (artificially thin this time?) between being close enough to jab and too close for him to grab me for a headbutt or something. I did learn how to kick, tho, by accident/experimentation, and was able to chain that a little.

Step three: take all the recovered tools to trade for cash. I'm a little unsure I understand the barter mechanics yet, as the first price I asked for the tools was accepted without further haggling, and I thought I asked for more than the game initially suggested/expected!

Step four: get the coal. I'm sure I haggled this better.

Step five: get the crosspiece. Nothing big here.

Step six: get the ale. This is where I quit for the night, experimenting with the game's autosave since I was also given my first batch of 3 Savior Schnappes. (Which I'll keep for later if I can.) I also refused to fling the poo: I'm already too much of a lackabout, and Dad's counting on me to get things done in time, not to be distracted.

Step seven: PRAISE GOD FROM WHOM ALL BLESSINGS FLOW, AND ALSO TREK! I will apply that fix to the nausea-bobbing pronto. For context, in the past couple of weeks I've racked up more than 20 hours in Subnautica, another first-person game of climbing ladders and swimming around underwater at weird orientations and bobbing on the surface of an ocean, and I have only maybe once gotten dizzy from that.

Step eight: ???

Step nine: profit. ("After we're doing with this work today, I should be able to buy you all drinks!")

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

What happened to your haiku allowance?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

That week has finished.
Now all my posts are kaiju,
catching up wordcount.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on February 14, 2018, 01:47:05 PM
What happened to your haiku allowance?

I liked haiku Jason

Tldr Jason is back

Are these horror film sequels?

Gusington

^Probably - but more frightening.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

once mums tucked in were all doomed

Pete Dero

Good review with some tips on how to start (e.g. practice to learn and unlock skills before accepting quests).

Jarhead0331

I've had my first frustrations with game, mainly with respect to the save system, the pacing and some of the nuance as to how the NPCs react to the player under certain circumstances. Still, I'm finding the story enjoyable, despite being slow and relatively dry at times and I think I connect more with Henry than I ever did with Gestalt from the Witcher series.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

trek

Mac of WAB many times seems to have a different take on his game reviews. He hit the proverbial nail on the head with this one. Finally, it dawned in my stupid head that this is not so much a game as it is a "medieval simulator." And I need to approach it and play it that way. I do agree with JH in that I'm already fully invested in my character and I've only played around seven hours so far. One of the big things that appealed to me when I first discovered the existence of KCD several years ago was that the devs were shooting for providing the player with a feeling of actually living in a medieval world.

So far, I think they've accomplished that goal and my enjoyment of KCD is all the better for it. No magic, no dragons, just pure living the life and dealing with the consequences of everyday in the world of Bohemia. Can't wait for future DLC and maybe even spin-offs of KCD. I really think Warhorse Studios are really on to something with this very unique title. Very glad I supported their dreams buy purchasing KCD. I feel like I'm part of a new direction in gaming.