Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Started by son_of_montfort, December 19, 2013, 11:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on February 13, 2018, 07:49:22 AM
I agree with you there - enough of the politics in the review. And I usually like RPS. Didn't read like that particular reviewer liked it much, but they also compared to Witcher 3, which is unfair, I think.

...and Skyrim/Elder Scrolls. Equally unfair. I get that they are the logical comparisons, but at least understand the reason for the differences, for example, historical accuracy, or at least credibility. I would agree that curing the plague and running errands for a noble in the 14th century can probably be extremely dry, but is that the real takeaway from the game? It supposedly has an extremely detailed combat system and this review talked about it in a single paragraph...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

Man alive, the comments section under that review has shaken my already weak faith in humanity.  What a bunch of friggin' snowflakes.

But, more to the point, no quicksave?  Seriously?   :-\
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

No quicksave enrages me - but I would bet that it will either be added by the developer or modded in soon if at all possible.

I also want more info on the combat - sieges, swordplay, etc. I think RPS got the wrong person to review this.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 13, 2018, 06:31:41 AM
A surprisingly cool reception from RPS...however, the review is noticeably light on detailed game impressions and once again obsessive when it comes to issues of gender and race. God how they annoy. I swear, they are the Huffington Post of gaming. Get over it already.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/13/kingdom-come-deliverance-review/

I read the review...it would seem the game lacks a 'quick-save' feature and the article hints that it has some sort of 'check-point' save system. Personally, a no 'save anytime/anywhere' feature in a game like this is a turn off.  Did I mis-read the save part of the article?

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Negative, Ghostrider. 

Looks like we'll have to wait for one of our intrepid Grognatti to review the game.   ???
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Tpek

There is no normal save system.
The game is automatically saved at certain checkpoints, and in addition, the game devs took a cue from various JRPGs and let you can acquire an item in game,
the Savior Schnapps, that when consumed (it is alcoholic though) will make a quick save.

mbar

Quote from: Rayfer on February 13, 2018, 08:39:53 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 13, 2018, 06:31:41 AM
A surprisingly cool reception from RPS...however, the review is noticeably light on detailed game impressions and once again obsessive when it comes to issues of gender and race. God how they annoy. I swear, they are the Huffington Post of gaming. Get over it already.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/13/kingdom-come-deliverance-review/

I read the review...it would seem the game lacks a 'quick-save' feature and the article hints that it has some sort of 'check-point' save system. Personally, a no 'save anytime/anywhere' feature in a game like this is a turn off.  Did I mis-read the save part of the article?

There is no quick save but apparently there are limited supplies of a "save-potion?" that you can use if you feel the situation warrants. I have my eye on this one. I'd really love to support the devs with this but I just have too much of a backlog and in all honesty I love magic and lore which this seems to be lacking.
[ninja'd]

Gusington

FWIW there are about 800+ Steam reviews posted already and a few of them mention the game being much improved over the beta in its current state (v1.2 I think).

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

trek

Over at www.gamepressure.com they've already started a KCD game guide. Eventually they will complete is with a full game walk-through. Currently the guide has some great tips on many aspects of KCD.

Direct guide link:   https:/guides.gamepressure.com/kingdom_come_deliverance

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Thanks for the above, Trek and Pratt. I wonder if Angry Joe will have a look at this.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

https://www.gamingnexus.com/Article/5609/Kingdom-Come-Deliverance/

And yet, here I am, with a straight face, ready to give this game a very high, very well-deserved score. When all is said and done, all I want to do is play more and more Kingdom Come. Its merciless first-person immersion, its nuts and bolts history lessons, its Bohemian art and architecture—all of it. It's an achievement, even when it trips itself up

Kingdom Come is a walking simulator merged with an RPG that takes you down a Wikipedia black hole. Accepting its historicity and deciphering its cerebral game systems is like completing a religious rite.

Rating: 9 Excellent

Yskonyn

My first impressions:

Graphically the game is a mixed bag. Many textures far away are very blurry, while many graphical elements close by are highly detailed.
It gives the game overall a touch of indie roughness.

NPC's do seem to wander around locations living their own lives for the most part, but many NPC's don't react to you when standing next to them.
The close up conversations are awkward. There is little facial expression and the lip sync is awful. It makes talking to them like trying to converse with automatons. The voice acting itself is pretty good so far, though.

The combat system is fun and realistic, though I find Henry very slow. It fits with the narrative though, so I hope this gets better when he has trained more.
There is some rubberbanding in fights.

People complain the game is slow, but afaik Warhorse have always said the game is supposed to be a Medieval life sim with an RPG bolted on top.
So I never expected a fast game.

The love for the era shows everywhere. Lots of high quality details all around the scenes.
I hope the story will be of great quality too.

So even though I find it a little rough, I am looking forward to continuing.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."