Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

And her sister ship, HMS Nelson. Odd due to the position of the 3 main turrets being for'ard (extra points for the nautical term).

I always thought that they looked really powerful. I can remember doing the Airfix kit when I was a kid - 1:600 scale IIRC.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

BanzaiCat

It does look intimidating. There's a scenario in the game Atlantic Fleet that's a favorite of mine - the Bismark versus the Rodney, another British battlewagon, and a British heavy cruiser. The Rodney looks like she can sink Bismark with just one salvo.

Windigo

I was thinking that the Terror was a bit of an odd duck myself.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

bob48

It was an Erebus Class Monitor, built in WW1.

'Clip those corners'

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Windigo

@ BoB

wow that was a rabbit hole...

from HMS Rodney and Nelson to HMS King George V, then a piqued curiousity about fire control systems

Ship gun fire-control systems/directors
Fire Control Tables
Radar, analogue, individualized, centralized, AA firecontrol systems.... good lord!

bob48

Fascinating stuff, innit.

'Clip those corners'

Windigo

Quote from: bob48 on February 07, 2018, 05:50:53 PM
Fascinating stuff, innit.
yup, radar was a game changer regarding surface action

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on February 07, 2018, 02:43:35 PM
QuoteTarantul-class corvette

There's one of those at Battleship Cove in Fall River, MA. She was given to the US by the German Navy after Reunification. If any of you East Coast grogs are down that way you should definitely check it out.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

^Don't the Iowas always win?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: trailrunner on February 07, 2018, 06:16:10 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 07, 2018, 05:45:26 PM
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/18318/shock-trials-or-no-the-navys-newest-supercarrier-is-still-an-unreliable-debacle

I met with two staffers today about these issues.

There's a lot of stupid in that article (that the article is revealing, not the writer of it), but what's especially galling are the electrical issues outlines.

QuoteThere's a serious underlying concern about the ship's main power generation system, as well, which is necessary to keep all of these components running. Before delivering Ford to the Navy, Newport News Shipbuilding reported a failure in a transformer attached to one of the ship's four main turbine generators.

According to the Director of Operational Test and Evaluation, the Navy, not wanting to delay getting the ship any further, approved the use of an existing transformer design it already used for other applications as a substitute. It conducted no testing to determine if this component would work properly with the rest of the carrier's electrical systems.

That's...quite literally frigging insane.

trailrunner

Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 09, 2018, 10:01:42 AM

There's a serious underlying concern about the ship's main power generation system, as well, which is necessary to keep all of these components running. Before delivering Ford to the Navy, Newport News Shipbuilding reported a failure in a transformer attached to one of the ship's four main turbine generators.

According to the Director of Operational Test and Evaluation, the Navy, not wanting to delay getting the ship any further, approved the use of an existing transformer design it already used for other applications as a substitute. It conducted no testing to determine if this component would work properly with the rest of the carrier's electrical systems.

I know the details of that incident.  That wound up causing a huge problem that will be fixed when the ship is back in port in April.  And that is going to require some major surgery on the ship and will be very expensive to fix.