Roll-Call - Obscure RPGs

Started by bayonetbrant, February 22, 2012, 01:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyebiter

Bayonet_Chris

Quote from: eyebiter on March 05, 2012, 02:39:05 PM
Cyberpunk 2020
http://rpggeek.com/rpg/337/cyberpunk-2020

One of those games with mediocre system but excellent background materials.  Recall we lifted the setting and used this with ICE Rolemaster SpaceMaster system.

I still have two boxes of Cyberpunk 2020 upstairs. You're right - the background material is excellent.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I remember Beyond the Supernatural.  We had a lot of fun with that one, but overall preferred Chill and Call of Cthulhu.

Let's see.....some of the more obscure ones we played......

Mercenaries, Spies, and Private Eyes (the original Wasteland CRPG used the game system from MSPE).  Loved the cover art.

Freedom Fighters from FGU (OK, we never actually got past character creation.  It took 6+ hours per character.  Madness.)

Privateers and Gentlemen from FGU (RPG based heavily on the Patrick O'Brian novels about the Brit Navy during the Napoleonic wars.)

Delta Force from Task Force Games (makers of Star Fleet Battles.  Special Forces/Counter Terror RPG with tonnes of info on tactics, weapons, and surveillance toys)

Chill, the horror RPG.   Great modules.

Jack Nastyface

Privateers and Gentlemen was one of my favorite themes, but I had no-one to play with....I was the only one in my peer group who was reading the Hornblower novels.  We did play some Skull and Crossbones, but it just wasn't the same.

There was another age-of-sail RPG recently released - In Harm's Way - where each player has three characters.  Also looks interesting.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

airboy

Bison

What do you do in a diceless RPG?  I mean how does the GM do an all dice act of god damage attack on the jerk in the corner ruining the game?

bob48

Quote from: airboy on April 05, 2012, 12:55:28 PM
Amber based on works of Roger Zelazny.

It was a diceless RPG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_Diceless_Roleplaying_Game

Nine Princes in Amber - been years since I read those - great books.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Ubercat

I've got you all beat. In the early 80's I played an obscure FRPG called High Fantasy. It came in two small hardcover books, one of which included a solo adventure that played like a which-way book. All I remember of the adventure was that there were elephant headed gods involved (I think).

Here's the main book on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0835928268/ref=nosim/waynesworldof-20
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

bayonetbrant

I remember seeing High Fantasy at a used store somewhere, and sadly lacked the $5 or so to pick it up.  Never saw it again after that....
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

eyebiter

FarAway Sooner

The Morrow Project was awesome, but the obscure game that I got the most mileage out of was The Mechanoid Invasion, a little 64-page booklet that retailed for $4.95 (follow-ons, Journey and Homeworld cost $5.95 and $8.95respectively, then it got repackaged as The Mechanoid Invasion that sold for $14.95.

You played colonists on a far-flung planet trying to stave off a massive alien invasion.  It was created by Kevin Simbieda, who went on to produce Palladium Games (including The Palladium RPG) and had great flavor.

eyebiter

Arctic Blast

From the box art, I'm assuming Price of Freedom is the story of several brave members of various street gangs featured in The Warriors traveling through time to punch a hole through Lenin?  ;)

Staggerwing

Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 12, 2012, 01:51:41 AM
From the box art, I'm assuming Price of Freedom is the story of several brave members of various street gangs featured in The Warriors traveling through time to punch a hole through Lenin?  ;)

And here I thought that it was Michael Dorn in a suit...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys