Neil Simon celebrated US playwright dies aged 91

Started by Pete Dero, August 26, 2018, 04:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45316069

Celebrated US playwright Neil Simon has died aged 91 in his native New York City of complications from pneumonia, representatives announced.

Simon gained international fame in the 1960s for stage and screen comedies including The Odd Couple and Barefoot In The Park.
In 1991 he won the Pulitzer Prize For Drama with Lost in Yonkers.
"Some say he's the most successful playwright since Shakespeare," Barefoot star Robert Redford once said.
Simon was a prolific author. averaging at least one play a year for much of his career, and his work included the hit musicals Sweet Charity and They're Playing Our Song.
His wife, Elaine Joyce Simon, was at his deathbed along with his daughters, Ellen Simon and Nancy Simon, in New York-Presbyterian Hospital, his representatives said.

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

ArizonaTank

RIP Neil Simon

From the end narration of Biloxi Blues:

"As for me, I finally found the perfect girl. I got married and had two great daughters.
I became a writer. I wrote a few plays, and just finished one called Biloxi Blues.
Everything in it is true, except that Rowena never gave me a second one for free.
Maybe I'll leave that out if they ever make it into a move.
As I look back now, a lot of years later, I realize that my time in the Army was the happiest time of my life.
God knows, not because I liked the Army, and there sure was nothing to like about war.
I liked it for the most selfish reason of all.... because I was young...
We all were... me and Epstein and Wykowski, Selridge, Carney, Hennessey, and even Sergeant Toomey.
I didn't really like most of those guys then, but today, I love every damn one of them.
Life is weird, you know?"

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

OJsDad

RIP Neil.

Honestly, when I saw the headline, I was thinking the singer, Neil Diamond
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

RIP Mr. Simon.  You had a great way of portraying life.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

RIP - Biloxi Blues will always be a favorite of mine.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd