Main Menu

Mice!

Started by Jarhead0331, August 15, 2018, 06:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Hi Jarhead. 

I'm constantly battling mice invaders in my home every fall and winter.  Last winter I found a small gap where my central air conditioning units wires connect to my house.  I filled it with tons of steel wool then caulked it all closed.  Look for small gaps around your garage door.  If the door is not touching the ground fully the mice can actually squeeze through.

Now how do mice eat the bait but don't set the trap off you ask?  Make sure you don't over fill the trap with too much peanut butter.  The mice are skilled at delicately nibbling just the food and avoiding the material surrounding the food cavity.  The trick is use a toothpick and get a dab of peanut butter about the size of a sharpened wood pencil lead.  Smoosh the bait down so that the mouse is forced to crawl on top of the trigger in order to get at the food.  If the bait is overflowing the food cavity all the mice has to do is lick it off without climbing onto the trap itself.  You may have to vary the amount of bait depending upon the size and type of the food cavity of the trap. 

If even after doing all of that if the trap still fails to trigger try another mousetrap with a different trigger and food cavity setup.  When setting the trap try to elevate the trigger flapper as near vertical as possible so you force the mouse to grapple with it to get to the bait.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

Years ago we had mice in the attic. At night it sounded like they were playing football up there, which got my wife on my ass big-time. Poison only worked briefly so I hunted down the little bastards. I found their nest in a palm outside by the pool. I got my ladder and my hatchet and went to work on them. But the little shits wouldn't even run from me, they just sat there in their nest looking at me with their little mice-eyes while I wacked them to pieces. After only a couple of hits, I couldn't take it anymore. I caught them all, put them in a box and took them far away where they could play football at night in somebody else's attic. I am too soft for mice eradication so I call the professionals who get paid to be unmerciful.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Steel wool has worked in my house as well, good call.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

I've had some good luck in my garage with peanut butter scented glue traps.   You can either lay them flat or if you have kids/cats about, fold them up into a little box.  Just keep yer fingers off the glue when you are folding them up.  Put the box/trap along a wall or edge.  The mice follow the wall.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

trailrunner

I had mice in my house a long time ago.  I used the humanitarian traps where they walk in and the door closes behind them.  I had no problem killing them, but they were in my bedroom, and my kids were young at the time, and I didn't want one of us to step on the trap in the middle of the night.

More recently I've had them in my shed.  I used the regular snap traps, but had a poor success rate because they kept licking the cheese off the trap.  I then switched to poison, which worked well.  But that was outdoors, and I didn't care if they died and stunk up my shed.

Con

We had a mouse last year. Got into my wife's protein bars. We had to trap it fast before that rodent buffed up and mugged us in our sleep. Used the snap traps (look like massive I will f you up clips". Got the bastard in time.

MetalDog

I prefer poison.  They eat it.  They die.  Yeah, they smell for around a week, but, it's usually local to where they are rotting.  If you go snap trap, make sure it's perpendicular to the wall.  Tie a chip to the trigger.  Potato, Dorito, whatever.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Jarhead0331

I love the smell of mouse bait in the morning...it smells like...victory.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MetalDog

Nicely done, JH!  You have a promising future in pest control if the whole lawyer thing doesn't work out  O0
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bbmike

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 15, 2018, 09:46:38 PM
I love the smell of mouse bait in the morning...it smells like...victory.

One...
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

As our Mad Russian says: "Good hunting!"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

Great! Four more and you're an Ace.  O0  That looks like the mouse 'New Guy' the rest of the mice send out to check for new devices. Next will come the real scouts followed by the Combat Engineers.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MikeGER

i used a live capture trap, its like a cage, with good success
(i don't like to clear up the mess. and fleas, miles and such leave the dead body when its gets cold and seek a new warm one  ...nearby :o )

as a lure i used a natural hazelnut with a drop of Nutella smeared on , the hazelnut-shell has a hole and is stuck firm to the trigger.
the mouse actually pulls 'the lever' to grab the fragrant hazelnut

i then release the mouse in furthest corner of the garden.

when i had a mice invasion on the balcony i went for a special poisen. it leads to inner bleeding over days, so the mice feels week, seeks a save spot, its nest, ...feels even more weak  (possibly outside the building) ...and falls asleep.
no mess also. 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 16, 2018, 09:31:53 AM
Great! Four more and you're an Ace.  O0  That looks like the mouse 'New Guy' the rest of the mice send out to check for new devices. Next will come the real scouts followed by the Combat Engineers.

You mean I took out an FNG!? I'm starting to feel remorseful.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I thought remorse was removed from your programming years ago...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd