Main Menu

RAM and TW-GalCiv

Started by solops, August 12, 2018, 08:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Today I bumped my RAM from 16GB to 32 GB. It is older, DD3 1600 RAM. I have seen no improvement in Civ4, small improvement in TW Warhammer 2, very slight improvement in TW Rome 2, and a modest improvement in GalCiv3 in very large galaxies. I have not had time to test any other games. Interesting...I did not know what to expect. There were no other changes to the PC.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Pete Dero

Quote from: solops on August 12, 2018, 08:53:33 PM
Today I bumped my RAM from 16GB to 32 GB. It is older, DD3 1600 RAM. I have seen no improvement in Civ4, small improvement in TW Warhammer 2, very slight improvement in TW Rome 2, and a modest improvement in GalCiv3 in very large galaxies. I have not had time to test any other games. Interesting...I did not know what to expect. There were no other changes to the PC.

While you would see a performance increase going from 8GB to 16GB most games won't benefit from going to 32GB.

Only games that use a pagefile or need to access your HD because they lack RAM will have an improvement.  Few games need more than 16GB.
Galciv3 can load more in to RAM using very large maps and no longer needs to read from your HD.  This could give you a noticeable improvement.

I guess an increase in VRAM (replacing the graphics card) would give you better results (but RAM is a cheaper solution these days).

solops

Yeah, given I have an i7-4770 and an 8 gig Nvidia 1070, I don't expect any change from any 32 bit programs, I am a bit surprised that I got any favorable results, however tiny, from the TW games. It is GalCiv 3 that prompted the upgrade....and how cheap RAM has gotten. I have some other programs, such as Universe Sandbox2, that I think might benefit.

Building my own PC has really paid dividends over the last few years.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin